Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Dilfer is a moron.

The only Super Bowl winning QB to EVER start as a backup for a different team the following year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    "It always goes back to this, and it blows my mind people won't talk about it more: When you are tailback-driven, you practice more run plays and more run-oriented schemes. When you are quarterback-driven, you practice more nuances of the passing game. You only get so many practice reps. As long as Adrian Peterson is the bell cow back and they are tailback-driven, the passing game will never have the nuance that the great passing games have. Now that's not a bad thing, but the expectations need to be shaped that way. You can't have both in today's football. There's not enough practice time.
    I think there's a lot of validity to that statement. However, I do expect they will put more focus on the passing game this year. Another year of maturity on Ponder, addition of a true receiver in Jennings and the uber athletic Patterson.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I think there's a lot of validity to that statement. However, I do expect they will put more focus on the passing game this year. Another year of maturity on Ponder, addition of a true receiver in Jennings and the uber athletic Patterson.
    I agree with you in total. It was an eye opener for me to see it phrased that way, even though I take things like that into account when it comes to OL play (practice) and was what I was trying to point out when I mentioned how Dallas and the PUKERS offense will suffer this year in my prediction area.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    If ya'all care to remember ye ole Duh'knee Green offense, yeah sure, we put up tons of points, set the record even. But did we win a championship!? No. We couldn't stop anybody ever because whether that deep ball was caught for a 70 yard TD or dropped incomplete, either way it was only about 10 seconds off of the clock, and our defense was back out there, playing the whole freaking game, and tho they would start well, they would always let up some chunks of scoring late in the half and late in the game when they'd used up all the gas they could muster.

That is where the dinky-dunky is better. It is an extension of the running game in many ways, because of the time that runs off the clock while the defense swarms to the receiver and that WR churns out some YAC.
    The Vikings almost went to a Superbowl because that offense covered for a poor defense. Playing with a lead is actually much easier for a defense.

I believe the WCO is the best offensive scheme ever created, but it is not just dink-dunk.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I hate that everyone points to the 98 offense like it's a bad thing. It was a great offense and not the reason we didn't win a chip. We didn't win a chip because our defense was average and even less than average when the injuries piled up. Even that wasn't enough to stop us... it took a guy missing a FG he makes in his sleep and a run of bad luck to stop us......

SO WHY IN HELL DO PEOPLE POINT TO THE OFFENSE LIKE IT WAS A PROBLEM
    IS SCORING TOO MUCH A PROBLEM? IS SCORING TOO SOON A PROBLEM?

Also... improving the passign game does not mean we are asking for a RECORD BREAKING PASSING GAME... How about just average? How about just dam good. You don't have to limit yourself to bad QBs and average WRs just to prove you are a running team. Balance! Balance! Balance! The reason the Colts were as good as they were for so long was Balance ( James and Peyton) The reason the Pats won those chips.... Balance ( Dillon and Brady) Almost every team has to have both. That is what we need. We finally have fixed the WR portion... now we need to ffind a godd QB... stat.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    We almost went to the SB with Wade Wilson at QB too if you are old enough to go back that far. If not for Darrin Nelson we would have won that SB that year.

But to the 1998 offense. Yes, the offense was not the cause but in order for Denny Green to get that offense it took him dismantling the best defense in the league that he inherited when he was hired as a coach. He sacrificed the defense in order to build the offense and then when the offense stalled in the NFCCG they were dead in the water. Had the defense been able to get a turnover in the second half or put the offense in better field position we could have won that game too.

I really feel that Spielman is building the team with balance. We drafted several offensive players in the first round and now we have several players on defense drafted in the first round and the core of the team is young, very young and they are using these players as the building block. Ponder may not be the answer but if we have to make a change at that position we are sitting pretty good overall with the rest of the team so we can bring one in and have some very good talent around them. And if Ponder does become the QB the GM says he will then we are really set.

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Effin good post. The team has had fewer and few weaknesses both off-seasons after 3-13. We're at the point with our roster where if Ponder poops the bed we can replace him with someone else next year and we will still be a very formidable team. It makes sense to give him this whole season to prove he can be the guy the team rallies around. I'm not sold on Pinder but I'm not going to count him out when he only stands to get better with another year of experience on the field and in the same offense with an extra weapon.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I hate that everyone points to the 98 offense like it's a bad thing. It was a great offense and not the reason we didn't win a chip. We didn't win a chip because our defense was average and even less than average when the injuries piled up. Even that wasn't enough to stop us... it took a guy missing a FG he makes in his sleep and a run of bad luck to stop us......

SO WHY IN HELL DO PEOPLE POINT TO THE OFFENSE LIKE IT WAS A PROBLEM
    IS SCORING TOO MUCH A PROBLEM? IS SCORING TOO SOON A PROBLEM?

Also... improving the passign game does not mean we are asking for a RECORD BREAKING PASSING GAME... How about just average? How about just dam good. You don't have to limit yourself to bad QBs and average WRs just to prove you are a running team. Balance! Balance! Balance! The reason the Colts were as good as they were for so long was Balance ( James and Peyton) The reason the Pats won those chips.... Balance ( Dillon and Brady) Almost every team has to have both. That is what we need. We finally have fixed the WR portion... now we need to ffind a godd QB... stat.
    An offense that scores points is a good offense. It doesn't really matter how they do it.

Sure it's better to eat some clock when your defense isn't great, but the primary goal is to score points, and when an offense scores 35 points per game, no one has any right to complain about it, not even the defensive players who are sucking wind in the 4th quarter.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    An offense that scores points is a good offense. It doesn't really matter how they do it.

Sure it's better to eat some clock when your defense isn't great, but the primary goal is to score points, and when an offense scores 35 points per game, no one has any right to complain about it, not even the defensive players who are sucking wind in the 4th quarter.
    I agree. I think you can have a high scoring offense and a great defense.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    None of them have won a SB yet. Last year one was beat by a traditional pocket passing (slow of foot) guy who was told to quit throwing it deep and dink dunk his way to his ring and a big payday.

As I said earlier. I wonder if the move from one Harbrother to the other of Boldin is a sign the other will go back to the Dink Dunk approach.

Sure have been a lot of SB's won running that variant.
    I never said any won a SB nor did I infer any of them ever will. My point was I don't think the success of the guys last year means that the read option QB's get up to speed in the NFL faster overall than the traditional guys as you asserted. I do agree that initially they may introduce a new wrinkle that the defenses need to account for that may buy them a little time and give a little early success, but once defenses adjust to them they don't look all that good and since they are trained to make one read and then throw or run, in the end to become a complete NFL QB who can go through his complete read progression it actually takes more time.

College football in the 90's and 2000's had a lot of field stretching, air it out programs that put up some ridiculous stats offensively in the passing game. Now the trend is the hybrid QB/RB and I don't think that is a good recipe for NFL success in the long run because you can't have the guy running the offense taking those kind of shots as frequently as they do. RG3 is a good example of that.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast