Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Main Reason Vikings can't get over the hump?

Holzberg wrote:
    jrjohn wrote:
    thorshammer wrote:
    If we're speaking about this year perhaps it's that Favre is really done and by relying on him so much we are utilizing our best weapon AD not often enough. Perhaps if we went with TJ and kept the rock in AD's hands like his first yr. we would have better results. Run first pass off the run. Control the clock keep the other teams offense off the field. Maybe TJ could manage to make a couple of the throws he couldn't a couple of years ago. I must be drunk to come up with this theory. I give up for tonight..................
    Drunk or not, I agree totally
    Yeah, it's always Brett's fault. Wait, what did Brett do last season. How great was all 3 phases last year.

HOW GREAT ARE ALL 3 PHASES THIS YEAR?

If Brett played Offense, Defense and ST, then you could blame him.

The fact that WR have been injured and not playing as well this year is a huge factor. Brett plays with his heart and he plays to win game in and game out. His competitiveness has been his downfall as well because he always tries to get those first downs. But, this is what also has made him so great.

Do you really think TJ would be able to withstand all the hits Brett took this year? If you do, you are fricken insane.

The Vikes can't get over the hump because of constant injuries as well as it just doesn't seem the team wants to win. The defense and special teams have been horrible.

They showed last week that they can be a great team, but for whatever reason this week it didn't seem like they had the fire they had in the last 4 minutes of the game last week. I put this on the coach, not just the head coach, but all coaches. They need to have their players confident and fired up BEFORE AND DURING the game.

Blaming one person on the team at this point isn't going to make a difference unless that one person has an affect on all 3 phases. Those people that understand know that it is Childress.
    +1

Saved me some typing...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Caine wrote:
    Holzberg wrote:
    The Vikes can't get over the hump because of constant injuries as well as it just doesn't seem the team wants to win. The defense and special teams have been horrible.

They showed last week that they can be a great team, but for whatever reason this week it didn't seem like they had the fire they had in the last 4 minutes of the game last week. I put this on the coach, not just the head coach, but all coaches. They need to have their players confident and fired up BEFORE AND DURING the game.

Blaming one person on the team at this point isn't going to make a difference unless that one person has an affect on all 3 phases. Those people that understand know that it is Childress.
    +1

Saved me some typing...
    This is what happens when your HC calls up friends, buddies & pals of his & gives them jobs & even creates jobs for them, rather than actually seek out qualified coaches who can not only coach, but coach well.

I brought this up when he first started hiring & filing the coaching staff.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Don't typically watch any of the "Fox" or "ESPN" pregame stuff, mostly cause the NFLN stuff is better, however, this weekend I turned over to "Fox" and heard Terry Bradshaw talk about the "Way Ahead" for the Cowboys.

Basically he said that they could trace all thier woes back to the owner acting like the GM.

I think, logically you can look at the current regime and say the same thing, in some sort of fashion. Not that the owner is acting like Jerry, but rather, we don't have a typical GM/HC structure.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Until this staff is organized under a "True" GM, it will never get any better.

Again, I like the Chiller. I think he is a pretty damn good X and O's kindof coach, but I don't think, like most HC's, he has the makeup to try to coach as well as do some of the front office crap he is doing.

They (the Wilf Ownership group) need to either make Spielman the GM or hire one to oversee the Triangle of Authority that currently resides with this organization.

This would alleviate some issues especially related to HC and if he has permissions to outright release a players. A HC should never have the authority to release a player regardless of how big an Ass he is acting like. That should fall to the GM.

Long story short, until this staff is structured like a real NFL staff, it will never get over the hump.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp wrote:
    This is what happens when your HC calls up friends, buddies & pals of his & gives them jobs & even creates jobs for them, rather than actually seek out qualified coaches who can not only coach, but coach well.

I brought this up when he first started hiring & filing the coaching staff.
    So let me get this straight, you think that the Chiller was out of line by bringing in a staff that he was a) Familiar with, and b) Familiar with the scheme he wanted to run.

Obviously you don't pay very close attention to how HC's put thier staffs together. Every one of them, every one of them, do the exact same thing.

Even to the point that they bring in players that have played in thier system so that the transition to the system is made easier.

If my memory servers, you beyyyatched about that as well, early on and I think I made this same point with you then.

All coaches do it. Every one of them. Everyone of them.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Don't typically watch any of the "Fox" or "ESPN" pregame stuff, mostly cause the NFLN stuff is better, however, this weekend I turned over to "Fox" and heard Terry Bradshaw talk about the "Way Ahead" for the Cowboys.

Basically he said that they could trace all thier woes back to the owner acting like the GM.

I think, logically you can look at the current regime and say the same thing, in some sort of fashion. Not that the owner is acting like Jerry, but rather, we don't have a typical GM/HC structure.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Until this staff is organized under a "True" GM, it will never get any better.

Again, I like the Chiller. I think he is a pretty damn good X and O's kindof coach, but I don't think, like most HC's, he has the makeup to try to coach as well as do some of the front office crap he is doing.

They (the Wilf Ownership group) need to either make Spielman the GM or hire one to oversee the Triangle of Authority that currently resides with this organization.

This would alleviate some issues especially related to HC and if he has permissions to outright release a players. A HC should never have the authority to release a player regardless of how big an Ass he is acting like. That should fall to the GM.

Long story short, until this staff is structured like a real NFL staff, it will never get over the hump.
    I tend to agree, but can't ignore some notable exceptions to the HC/GM part of it.

Guys like Parcells, Cowher, Walsh, and Belichick come to mind, but they're pretty special coaches and have incredible football IQ, as well as the ability to work with people allowing them to maintain greater power within the organization(Cowher and Walsh had GMs, but were clearly no lower in the hierarchy than them) without creating controversy.

Or maybe we just need to hire a guy named Bill.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Mr Anderson wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

I tend to agree, but can't ignore some notable exceptions to the HC/GM part of it.

Guys like Parcells, Cowher, Walsh, and Belichick come to mind, but they're pretty special coaches and have incredible football IQ, as well as the ability to work with people allowing them to maintain greater power within the organization(Cowher and Walsh had GMs, but were clearly no lower in the hierarchy than them) without creating controversy.

Or maybe we just need to hire a guy named Bill.
    I think I get what you're trying to say. I see something consistent with those guys... they're good coaches. Maybe that's what's wrong here...

/sarcasm off

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame

Marrdro wrote:

What he said. Guess I didn't need to rant about it in the other threads.

This is not a new concept that many of us have been saying since Childress was brought on board. I think Marrdro even started a thread on it a few years back.

tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

This is not a new concept that many of us have been saying since Childress was brought on board. I think Marrdro even started a thread on it a few years back.
    LOL. I try to start all kinds of threads....Anything to talk football.

By the way, I think that the only one to agree with me was Caine when it comes to a true GM/HC relationship.

Go figure huh. :laugh:

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame

Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

By the way, I think that the only one to agree with me was Caine when it comes to a true GM/HC relationship.

I think there were a few more. You're not always off in the weeds on your ideas

tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

I think there were a few more. You're not always off in the weeds on your ideas
    LOL, you have no idea.

Wanna see something funny, do a great thread on the DL or OL and our blockign schemes, no one comments (atleast very few).

Do one on something crazy and everyone jumps all over it.

Sometimes its fun to do the crazy ones just cause you get a discussion going.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast