Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Is Madden right about our Off.line ?

I knew Del would come through... Totally agree with that!

Our lineman aren't sealing thier guy and going to the LB's.. We can't get past the first level.. Their LB's are filling whatever gaps we have then.. We could use some better lineman

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I think it was more for pass protection than anything else. Trying to prevent a spin move up the middle and it stayed that way for the running attack.
    Actually I think in the protection, it may have hurt us. Our pocket closed so fast and Johnson would try to step up and throw. The DEs were not forced to run out further and just had to reach their hands out to hit BJs arm, causing one fumble and some deflected balls.

Del Rio Guest

The thing is why would you give Grady Jackson a huge gap to line up in? A lot of run plays are designed to start as a double team and have one guy (weak side lineman) shed onto a second layer block.

So you have two lineman fireout both connect Grady Jackson, if done right he should be turned away from the play and the weakside lineman goes headhunting for LB's.

If you spread out too far then that initial double team on the DT's doesn't happen or you have to go out of your way to lay a smack on him which creates a hole that a LB will be all too ready to fill.

There is some truth to the importance of lineman position but I don't see how it would hurt us unless they coach for wider gaps and the lineman are unconciously lining up tight.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Del Rio" wrote:
    The thing is why would you give Grady Jackson a huge gap to line up in? A lot of run plays are designed to start as a double team and have one guy (weak side lineman) shed onto a second layer block.

So you have two lineman fireout both connect Grady Jackson, if done right he should be turned away from the play and the weakside lineman goes headhunting for LB's.

If you spread out too far then that initial double team on the DT's doesn't happen or you have to go out of your way to lay a smack on him which creates a hole that a LB will be all too ready to fill.

There is some truth to the importance of lineman position but I don't see how it would hurt us unless they coach for wider gaps and the lineman are unconciously lining up tight.
    What the hell do you know about football? :roll:

Oh yeah...nevermind! :razz:

:lol:

All I know is that it helped in protection that the Inside D line didn't get much done and the DEs were getting way to close to BJ. KGB and Kampmann were in the mix quite a bit, Kampmann more than KGB.

If the O line tackle lines up closer to center because of the spacing of the guard, it seems logical that a fast DE who takes a straight line to where the QB should be in his drop, will have the advantage over the tackles that have to bust their butt to get out in front of them. The pocket seemed very congested. Brad managed well, though except for the plays he go his arm hit.

"Del Rio" wrote:

Leads me to believe that this was the plan for the night, not a mistake.

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

"Del Rio" wrote:
    This is what I said earlier in another thread. Basically no I don't see the truth in it. IMO of course.

It could hold some truth.

I don't value that opinion very much though. There are teams that line up in a sort of wishbone looking formation foot to foot that are some of the best running teams in the league. Look at the Steelers.

Fact of the matter is in the NFL all you have to do is get the guys shoulder turned and it's over. There is a hole.

If I had to name one fundemental that I personally think is hurting our run game I would have to say it is the inability of our lineman to shed onto LB's. They are all one layer blockers. They hit one guy and it's over. Some of those big runs by memo are credited to Travis Taylor for cracking on a LB or corner.

Of course I believe this is a result of the design of our run game. Over all I think Madden was talking out of his jiggly butt
    and this is the exact reason why I miss Birk so much. He was amazing at this!

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

k602p is offline Waterboy

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    I think it was more for pass protection than anything else. Trying to prevent a spin move up the middle and it stayed that way for the running attack.
    Actually I think in the protection, it may have hurt us. Our pocket closed so fast and Johnson would try to step up and throw. The DEs were not forced to run out further and just had to reach their hands out to hit BJs arm, causing one fumble and some deflected balls.
    We were so worried about KGB, lost sight of Kampman! Had to get help w/ double tight formations, blocking is just raw and needing help, but as said earlier by someone...IT ALL WORKED OUT! (Pissed that Fonoti went down on his first start!)

k602p is offline Waterboy

"Wiggles67" wrote:

and this is the exact reason why I miss Birk so much. He was amazing at this!
    Need more be said?!?!?!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I've been watching the Gophers this year because almost all of their games have been on national TV. Have you watched them run-blocking? Pulling centers, pulling guards! I don't see ANY of this on the part of the Vikings. It looks like straight ahead blocking and trying to simply protect the passer.
    Now, I'm not trying to compare the NFL to college, but I don't see any improvision by the "O" line on the part of the Vikings. Maybe I'm missing something but I see it on a lot of other NFL teams.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast