Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Is Madden right about our Off.line ?

I loved the win last night. Mewelde played an amazing game, Brad was almost mistake free again, and Koren Robinson looks almost Randy-like. The defense is opportunistic like the Bears. I was very impressed. Very impressed that we won our 3rd in a row, and the second in a row on grass, away from MN.

And yet... that thing Madden said about our offensive line being too close together to allow the running backs to have lanes bothers me. Is that true ? Do our guards and tackles line up too close to each other ?

What do you think ?

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Is Madden right about our Off.line ?

I would have to ask Del on this one.. He is a genius when it comes to o-lines.. It makes sence to me I guess.. I've never played o-line but I filled in once at tackle and my coach has me about 5 feet from the next guy.. So yah it makes sence I guess.. Del will fill ya in!

k602p is offline Waterboy

Madden had a point, which we saw all night when we tried to run inside; kept bouncing it out to the point where we just started running the outside stretch plays. Recalling the Smith era, our gaps were wider, stretching out the D-line, but then again our O-line was alot consistent. Watch out for the running game when Birkey's back and Fonoti 100%, they won't be able to stop us in the middle!!! We'll have to wait until next for ol Matt though...

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Well, I think it matters what your goal is??

Emmitt Smith, didn't make it into an issue, he basically said that it allowed the offense to bounce it out by clogging the middle. I think that if a D sees this, they only need to clog the middle with the lineman and the LBs concentrate on containing. It helped us to clog the D-line and the LBs into that little area and then Moore bounced and scampered for yards.

It probably isn't a good practice. But I think that it was part of the plan. They would have noticed it and made the changes from the still photos that they review on the sideline during the game.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I think it was more for pass protection than anything else. Trying to prevent a spin move up the middle and it stayed that way for the running attack.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Del Rio Guest

This is what I said earlier in another thread. Basically no I don't see the truth in it. IMO of course.

It could hold some truth.

I don't value that opinion very much though. There are teams that line up in a sort of wishbone looking formation foot to foot that are some of the best running teams in the league. Look at the Steelers.

Fact of the matter is in the NFL all you have to do is get the guys shoulder turned and it's over. There is a hole.

If I had to name one fundemental that I personally think is hurting our run game I would have to say it is the inability of our lineman to shed onto LB's. They are all one layer blockers. They hit one guy and it's over. Some of those big runs by memo are credited to Travis Taylor for cracking on a LB or corner.

Of course I believe this is a result of the design of our run game. Over all I think Madden was talking out of his jiggly butt

k602p is offline Waterboy

Agree w/ snow, these running plays we have are designed w/ the option of bouncing it out/cutback.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Good question. I think that they are positioned good and that they just get pinched a little tight. It only takes one player getting pinched to close up a hole.

stjmnsota is offline Pro-Bowler

I don't know much about the o-line either, but I think it makes total sense to get the d-line stretch out a bit. You can see how the vikes running lanes are compared to other teams. Relatively non existent. However, with a strugggling line, I can see why they may have the stances crowded like in a max protect or goaline protection stance. Maybe it helps the struggling lineman pick up blitzers and stunts better.

Wouldn't you think that the coaches and players would pick up on something so obvious? I think they are full aware and line them up this way for a reason. Maybe as they get the line established they can/will start to spread them out again.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Speaking of the coverage last night by MNF, I didn't think it was right that they had D-Sharp miked and he was talking about his coverage that he was playing to I think it was Chavous. It wasn't right for time to air that clip, like tipping your hat. It was wrong and unfair to air it. It isn't like he couldn't change his mind, but it was during the game and wrong. Probably not a big deal though, just thought it was favoritism. Get him talking some trash or something, not how he is playing coverage, or sowing tendencies on a certain play.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast