Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PurpleMafia is offline Coordinator

Madden: Peterson a great runner, not back.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_11103646
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

John Madden is in Minnesota to call tonight’s Bears-Vikings game for NBC, and he has some interesting thoughts about Vikings running back Adrian Peterson.

According to Madden, Peterson is a great runner — great at the pure act of carrying the ball. But Madden thinks Peterson needs to improve in other aspects of the game before he’s truly a great running back.

“I think as far as a runner, he’s one of the best I think that’s ever played,” Madden told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “The greatest runners that I’ve ever seen would be guys like Jim Brown and Barry Sanders. The greatest running back that I ever saw was Walter Payton because he did it all. He would run it. He would block it. He would catch it. In every area, he was the best.”

And from Madden’s perspective, it’s those other areas — receiving and blocking — where Peterson would need to improve before he’s a great back.

“When I say runner, I think [Peterson] is a runner,” Madden said. “As far as a running back, where you have every facet of the position, I still think that he has some pretty big steps to take. Runner, he’s great. He has a chance to be one of the all-time greats. Running back, he still has some work to do.”

Peterson is second in the league with 1,180 rushing yards this season. But he has contributed almost nothing to the Vikings’ passing game, catching just 16 passes for 95 yards.
    Retired 12/21/08

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Madden: Peterson a great runner, not back.

Madden must be a member of PP.O.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Interesting.

I think it was a year or so ago when I called Madden a yutz for making comments like this and I was raked over the coals.
    Even though I think he has let the game pass him by a bit, I hate to admit that I gotta kindof agree with him here.

Although arguably the best running back I've seen in my life, he sure has room for improvement in the areas Madden mentions.

For all the CSA'rs who are ready to go off the deep end........The good thing is that this is only his second year.
    He will get better and become the back all of you think he is now. ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleMafia is offline Coordinator

I agree and disagree. He doesn't make an impact in the passing game, but it isn't like he is dropping a ton of balls. He just doesn't have the opportunities. If we threw him the ball, I'm sure he would do well. I'm not saying he will be Brian Westbrook, but given opportunities, I don't see why he wouldn't be successful.
    Retired 12/21/08

"PurpleMafia" wrote:
    I agree and disagree. He doesn't make an impact in the passing game, but it isn't like he is dropping a ton of balls. He just doesn't have the opportunities. If we threw him the ball, I'm sure he would do well. I'm not saying he will be Brian Westbrook, but given opportunities, I don't see why he wouldn't be successful.
    I agree but it is a risk/reward kindof thing.

What happens if you have him in there for a pass play and he has to stay into help pick up a DE or a blitzing LB because the D overloads one side.

You want to risk you ancient QB on the possibility that he might pick it up?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

Hes the best back ive ever seen, and ive been watching football for 30 years. If you feed him the ball he will break one. He needs work on receiving and blcoking, but they take him out on 3rd downs. Hows he supposed to improve. And we never screen or swing pass to him.

"CCthebest" wrote:
    Hes the best back ive ever seen, and ive been watching football for 30 years. If you feed him the ball he will break one. He needs work on receiving and blcoking, but they take him out on 3rd downs. Hows he supposed to improve. And we never screen or swing pass to him.
    You keep saying that my friend when you know we do try.
    Problem is we suck at them for some reason.

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

Yes we do suck at them. But i remember the one swing pass to AD last year for a TD. that was a great catch and run. I personally would let AD touch the ball 2 out of the 3 downs.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

AP isn't perfect, not just yet. and because of this he will continue to work hard and gett better which helps the team.

We get to hear madden brag about how much he knows about football all night long. How long until he brings up favre?
    We're bringing purple back.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I don't see much problem with what Madden said. It is pretty clear that Peterson has trouble in the passing game ( Of that the staff has not developed him, you make the call on that) and he clearly needs to improve in that facet before he becomes a complete back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast