PhillyVikes is offline Starter

Madden made me wonder????

Now that the season is opening up, you'll probally begin to hear alot out of me, but my typing skills suck!!! So bare with me!!! Here is my point, while I was playing Madden, I notice something we all over look.... special teams, think about it... the most undercover story in the NFL last year is when John Kasay of the Panther kick the ball out of bounds in the Superbowl that lead to N.E. game winning fieldgoal!!! I worry about our special teams.... Just a point I wanted to bring up, hoping to hear your comments.

P.S. GO VIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :salute:

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

i agree, granted we saw a lot of players who wont be on the team on special teams in the preseason, we need a solid ST, with a deeper defense this year hopefully our coverages will be better and they should be. Offensive wise i like what i see from double M but i havent seen a good blocking wedge on kick returns in years from the vikings, kinda weird considering we have had one of the best O lines for a long time, which would leave me to believe we would have sufficient backups??? maybe im wrong

dart18 is offline Asst. Coach

while i agree special teams are very important, especially our non-existent punt return blocking saying Madden made me wonder is so not needed, Madden is a looney old man, bt yes i agree with the statement about our "special" teams
    Sometimes I like to think there is more to life than being you know. . . really really good looking.
    -Derrick Zoolander

Kleinsasser40 is offline Coordinator

Its true, they can win or lose a game. I think we do have a much better special teams than we all think. Yeah, our kickers do pretty much suck, but our coverage is very good.

Our kickers are getting better though, I mean, now we have a kicker who can make the extra points, lol. And a decent veterain punter.
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

I have been harping about the Vikings special teams for a couple of years now. I did see improvement in the last preseason game though.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

PhillyVikes is offline Starter

When I said Madden made me wonder, was when I was playing the video game and saw that our special teams weren't to solid, I know its a video game but it brought back flashbacks of last year when ever time a field goal was over 40 yards we went for it on fourth down

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Well i look at it this way i thought our coverage was not all that bad last year infact i dont think we gave up a TD???? I think EJ was our best specail teamer last year but we have some people that i think will make good specail teamers. Offord, Rhett Nelson, R. Jones, Eiland, R. Smith, K. Newman, Nattiel, we have alot of guys who can get down on coverage and make the tackle, also i believe tice has asked most defensive starters to play at least one specail team unit. If i am worried about any thing i want to see us return some punts and get some blocks, poor Howry never gets any blocks.