Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: M. Robinson will be released

M. Robinson released
    Sunday, December 24th, 2006
    by Kevin Seifert

In a highly unusual move, the Vikings informed veteran receiver Marcus Robinson today that he will be released for reasons that were not immediately clear.

Robinson, speaking from his home in the Chicago area, said he received a call this afternoon from Rick Spielman, vice president of player personnel. Spielman informed him of the decision, but did not provide a reason. A team spokesman confirmed the move but said no other comment would be forthcoming. Coach Brad Childress is not scheduled to speak publicly until Wednesday.

Robinson was at Winter Park on Friday and Childress gave no indication that a move was imminent. On Saturday, the St. Paul Pioneer Press published an interview in which Robinson joined a number of other veterans who have questioned the team’s offensive approach. Robinson also said he does not communicate much with Childress, echoing a sentiment expressed Dec. 17 by quarterback Brad Johnson — who said he and Childress ”never talk.”

Sunday afternoon, Robinson said he had a “total lack of communication” this season with Childress and said he didn’t think that voicing his frustration about the way the season was going merited a release.

“It’s kind of hard to believe that a guy would be released for voicing his frustration about the season we’ve had,” Robinson said. “So I don’t really know why this happened, or why it happened today. Think about it. I had eight touchdowns two years ago, I had five last season and I’m leading the team in touchdowns this season. It’s not a production issue. So who knows?”

Robinson has been the team’s most productive receiver this season with four touchdowns, but his relationship with the team’s new coaching staff has appeared rocky ever since he was a healthy scratch for the Sept. 24 game against Chicago. Robinson also was inactive for the Dec. 17 game against the Jets, because of what Childress called a hip flexor injury, and he was the No. 5 receiver in Thursday night’s loss to the Packers.

The timing of the move would allow Robinson to sign with another team in time for the playoffs, a possibility Robinson said he was very interested in. In 10 games this season, he has caught
    29 passes for 381 yards. The Vikings were 0-5 in the games he has missed this season and 6-4 in the games he played.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

vikingTurf is offline Rookie

So he is being cut just becoz he questioned Childress's system, how 'bout they cut Childress only!!!

Rambro is offline Rookie

That's such garbage, the guy has done nothing but produce for us and he gets repaid by getting cut.

I understand why, he's getting old and injured, but he's the only one who produces.

Maybe he was one of the anonymous people speaking out to the media.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I don't know.
    Man, I've been trying to stay positive or neutral about Childress and am all for giving him time but I am interested in hearing what his explanation is on this one.
    Guess we'll have to wait until Wed.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

MERRY FUCKING CHRISTMAS VIKINGS FANS!

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Childress ... Short rope.

You're walking a very thin line for a first year HC, better produce as decisions such as this will get you hung otherwise.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

I honestly don't care that we would cut Marcus Robinson he never impressed me greatly by being hurt all the time and it just never seemed like he helped out much as a mentor for our younger WRs.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    MERRY fricken CHRISTMAS VIKINGS FANS!
    This is absolutely ridiculous. I think Childress and Wilf(slight contributor: so don't try to turn my post around and think its directed towards Wilf, I'm mostly happy w/ him besides his potential involvement in the Moss trade and the firing of Tice) are actually trying to make our offense worse.

Got rid of Tice, Culpepper, Moss(I'm assuming Wilf was notified as a potential buyer), Loney, brought in man blocking, got rid of Burleson,
    brought in the WCO, and now we cut Robinson! Guess how many of those things have worked out in our favor. NONE, the only one that even comes close to being reasonable is Culpepper, he griped for more money after a lack of production and serious injury, but to be perfectly honest with you, I'd rather have him back now than a very raw rookie starting. Childress is running this team into the ground, fire his ass, promote Tomlin, someone the players and fans actually trust and respect, hire an offensive coordinator who knows how to run an offense, and bring in some WR talent for Christ's sake.

Combined Tarvaris Jackson and Brad Johnson have 10 touchdowns. Marcus Robinson has caught 4 of them, twice as many as any other wide receiver on our team, if he can put points on the board for us why would we cut him?!

In football you must score more points than the other team to win the game.
    "You run to win, you throw to score".
    Therefore if you can not throw you can not score, if you can not score you can not win. It doesn't matter if we can keep another team out of the endzone if we can't get in it ourselves.

So don't plan on us scoring too many points with Childress as our head coach, this is horrendous and I've had enough.

I hate getting this fired up on Christmas Eve but this nonsense calls for it.

Fire Childress.

I'm sure there is way more to this than we know and I'm sure it is for good reason (the same reason he's been inactive so much this season). I hope we'll find out the details some time.

When he first signed with the Vikes, I thought Marcus Robinson was nothing more than a second rate WR. I critisized him a lot early on. Starting last season he began to look a lot better in my eyes because of our lack of depth at the position. And this season I wanted to see a lot more of him on the field. But, the truth is that we can do a lot better than him and I hope we do starting next season.

Bye bye Marcus.

Merry Christmas.
    Even babies know the difference.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I guess Marcus was just one of the players that didn't fit Childress' version of the WCO...in that he actually scored points.

I'm still waiting for Childress to make a decision or change with this offense that actually improves it.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast