Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,005

    Loyalty Important To Studwell

    http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2008/06/06/news/sports/local/157273.txt

    By CINDY PETERSON
    Bismarck Tribune
    When Scott Studwell came out of the University of Illinois he never imagined that he would play for the Minnesota Vikings.

    He up in Evansville, Ind., which is Chicago Bears territory.

    Studwell was drafted in 1977 by Minnesota where he wore No. 55 and played as a linebacker for 14 years.

    It's been more than 30 years since Studwell first joined the Vikings organization, and he's still part of it. After his playing days were over, Studwell moved into the front office, serving roles as president of player relations and player personnel coordinator. His current role with the Vikings is Director of College Scouting.


    There was a line in this article about scouting that stood out in my mind...
    It's this: "Every player we pick we do it as a group."
    He was talking about Childress (other coaches), Bryzinski, the rest of the "scouts" and maybe in some cases, Ziggy (as in the case of Allen).
    I think this confirms what some have said but others deny that the players picked to be drafted are done with the backing of the whole group.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

    When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

  2. #2
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,144

    Re: Loyalty Important To Studwell

    I like the fact that they choose as a group I believe this would minimize your draft picks of becoming a so called Crap Shoot. If the decision can be made honestly by each individual this is a great thing.

  3. #3
    Vikes_King's Avatar
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,104

    Re: Loyalty Important To Studwell

    Studwell is amazing.
    The Vikings wouldnt be the Vikings without him


    http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

    "We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

    - Dan Calabrese

  4. #4
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,204

    Re: Loyalty Important To Studwell

    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2008/06/06/news/sports/local/157273.txt

    There was a line in this article about scouting that stood out in my mind...
    It's this: "Every player we pick we do it as a group."
    He was talking about Childress (other coaches), Bryzinski, the rest of the "scouts" and maybe in some cases, Ziggy (as in the case of Allen).

    I think this confirms what some have said but others deny that the players picked to be drafted are done with the backing of the whole group.

    I think you just moved up to the top of Marrdro's spreadsheet.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  5. #5
    NDVikingFan66's Avatar
    NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,831

    Re: Loyalty Important To Studwell

    They may pick as a group....and this is all well and good, but in the end, someone has to make the call.
    I am sure for the most part there is typically a consensus type agreement, but if there is ever a divide, someone has to make the pick.


  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Loyalty Important To Studwell

    "singersp" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2008/06/06/news/sports/local/157273.txt

    There was a line in this article about scouting that stood out in my mind...
    It's this: "Every player we pick we do it as a group."
    He was talking about Childress (other coaches), Bryzinski, the rest of the "scouts" and maybe in some cases, Ziggy (as in the case of Allen).

    I think this confirms what some have said but others deny that the players picked to be drafted are done with the backing of the whole group.

    I think you just moved up to the top of Marrdro's spreadsheet.
    COJO made the top shelf along time ago, HOWEVER, I might just have to elevate him to the highest of levels hereby only held by the owner of this site...... ;D

    Excellent read my friend.
    I would have loved to be there to hear him speak and try to get a discussion going with him.
    He and Jack were definately tops on my list, next to Joey of course.

    "We were holding our breath until the seventh (overall) draft pick last year," Studwell said. "Had it not been for a collar bone issue, we wouldn't have gotten close to him.
    Were is the crowd who said it wasn't the collar bone that caused AD to slide to us and gave no credit to our medical staff for assessing the injury right?
    ;D

    "I'd play again in a heart beat, if I could."
    Wouldn't we all Scott, wouldn't we all.


    Anyone out there who has played the game (regardless of what level) not miss it?
    I sure the hell do especially as I get older (and a bit more gimpier
    ;D)

    Now I am just relegated to the role of a Dad who lives through his sons exploits on the field and as a yutz sports nut on a internet page who thinks I know more than I really do.
    If I didn't love my Mom and Dad so much I would curse them for not giving the talent to play at a level above High School.
    :'( :'( :'(
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Loyalty Important To Studwell

    "NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    They may pick as a group....and this is all well and good, but in the end, someone has to make the call.
    I am sure for the most part there is typically a consensus type agreement, but if there is ever a divide, someone has to make the pick.
    I belive that we have a structure that works well amongst each of the decision makers but ultimately, if a decision can't be made, the Owner will make the final decision based on everyones input.

    A few articles that are interesting reads....

    http://sports-boards.net/forums/arch...p/t-82610.html
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2463358
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2431511

    And my favorite:
    http://skolvikes.blogspot.com/2006/0...minnesota.html
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    919

    Re: Loyalty Important To Studwell

    He was in Bismarck (which isn't too far from where I live) last week and my dad happend to be in town that day (I was at a funeral), so he got Scott Studwell's autograph for me!

    Anyway, great read!
    "God has blessed me tremendously. I'd be a fool to complain."
    "From what I understand, the coaches will put the best 11 on the field."
    -Tyrell Johnson

  9. #9
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,564

    Re: Loyalty Important To Studwell

    "vikes_4_life_42" wrote:
    He was in Bismarck (which isn't too far from where I live) last week and my dad happend to be in town that day (I was at a funeral), so he got Scott Studwell's autograph for me!

    Anyway, great read!
    Menards grand re-opening

  10. #10
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,204

    Re: Loyalty Important To Studwell

    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "vikes_4_life_42" wrote:
    He was in Bismarck (which isn't too far from where I live) last week and my dad happend to be in town that day (I was at a funeral), so he got Scott Studwell's autograph for me!

    Anyway, great read!
    Menards grand re-opening
    The Menards grand opening in Winona is where I got Bud Grants autograph.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Studwell in Packerland
    By cogitans in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2007, 12:52 AM
  2. Studwell almost goes to Rams - Other tidbits
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-27-2006, 12:17 AM
  3. Fan loyalty
    By PurplePride80 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 07:00 PM
  4. Studwell gets a thumbs up
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-23-2006, 04:41 AM
  5. Studwell...GM???
    By CynicalVike in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2006, 05:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •