Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Low block fires up Allen - Allen thought season was over

[size=13pt]Low block fires up Vikings' Allen[/size]

Monday, December 8, 2008

Tom Powers
    St. Paul Pioneer Press

DETROIT -- Jared Allen is rather volatile under normal conditions. Get him ticked off and somebody likely will get hurt.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Low block fires up Vikings' Allen

stupid rookie, you don't piss off a guy with a stache and hair like that...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Low block fires up Vikings' Allen

[size=12pt]When Allen goes down, the Vikings rise up[/size]

After the defensive end was hit in the knees, followed by a scrap that led to personal fouls and a disqualification, Minnesota got some spark in its game.

By CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune

Last update: December 7, 2008 - 11:24 PM

DETROIT - Jared Allen would not say whether the block to his knees was a blatant cheap shot, but his immediate reaction left little doubt.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: When Allen goes down, the Vikings rise up

I think it got the whole team fired up, it was all downhill for the Kittens after that "Legal" but cheap hit on Jared. Thankfully
    he wasn't injured.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"PurpleTide" wrote:

I think it got the whole team fired up, it was all downhill for the Kittens after that "Legal" but cheap hit on Jared. Thankfully
    he wasn't injured.
    I think that was the play right before Napo had a nice little scuffle with their fullback too, causing their fullback to get ejected if I remember correctly. That definitely fired up the defense as well.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I have to say something about this.
    The hit was legal.
    However (here it comes) this was totally a cheap shot and much worse than what Jared Allen did to Rodgers or Schaub for that matter.
    This guy purposely went after Allen's knees.
    I would actually like to see another replay of this.
    Did the guy lead with his helmet or did he hit with his shoulder pads?
    If he led with his helmet that would be illegal and what would be the difference of say the hit Griffin was fined for earlier in the season or any of Jared Allen hits he was fined for?

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"ejmat" wrote:
    The hit was legal.
    However (here it comes) this was totally a cheap shot and much worse than what Jared Allen did to Rodgers or Schaub for that matter.
    If he led with his helmet that would be illegal and what would be the difference of say the hit Griffin was fined for earlier in the season or any of Jared Allen hits he was fined for?
    I think the biggest things that the NFL has chosen to leave out of its rulings has been:
    1. Universal fairness - The league only wants to protect its stars, especially on the offensive side of the ball. That's why Allen won't get any love. That's why Frerotte didn't get any love. In general all defensive players are screwed.
    2. Referee critique - Any and all mention that the league holds its refs to any standards is bull. I have never seen a ref been disciplined for a horrible call. I have never seen refs rewarded for bad ones. Watch the ref dude on NFL network and you will see the bull I'm talking about. They always side with the refs.
    3. Intent - The NFL has chosen to leave intent out of its rulings. This is most likely because it eliminates the judgment call factor, but in some cases its obvious. Cherilus didn't really mean to cheap shot Allen, but the late hit on Gus was blatant. Leaving out intent creates inconsistencies at times.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    The hit was legal.
    I think the biggest things that the NFL has chosen to leave out of its rulings has been:
    1. Universal fairness - The league only wants to protect its stars, especially on the offensive side of the ball. That's why Allen won't get any love. That's why Frerotte didn't get any love. In general all defensive players are screwed.
    2. Referee critique - Any and all mention that the league holds its refs to any standards is bull. I have never seen a ref been disciplined for a horrible call. I have never seen refs rewarded for bad ones. Watch the ref dude on NFL network and you will see the bull I'm talking about. They always side with the refs.
    3. Intent - The NFL has chosen to leave intent out of its rulings. This is most likely because it eliminates the judgment call factor, but in some cases its obvious. Cherilus didn't really mean to cheap shot Allen, but the late hit on Gus was blatant. Leaving out intent creates inconsistencies at times.
    Good post V.

1 - I agree!
    2 - I watch Perriera all the time and he basically is a bumbling idiot.
    However, Ed Hocules was disciplined for the call against the Chargers earlier in the year.
    Other than that you are right.
    Refs should start getting fines, suspensions, etc...
    Their rulings on the field can sway a game or playoff births.
    They have the opportunity of a replay and sometimes they even get that wrong.
    3- Cherilus reacted quickly and I could understand that.
    However, so did Allen on anyone of the plays he was fined for (not counting the CPR on the football).
    Players should be fined on the plays, not intent.
    It's difficult for me to believe there is a lot of intent out there to hurt someone.
    I know there is at times but most players have a certain respect for one another now (moreso than in the old days).

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I wonder why they weren't fired up to begin with....... : : : :

Would we have lost if Gosder didn't hit him?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

On the topic of being fired up, If you go to Kfan they probably have a replay of the interview that Berrian did with P.A. and he stated that the players started out flat. In fact he said Bobby Wade was telling him something to the effect that it was hard to get motivated for the game.

That to me is troubling. I would think the thought of carting groceries as an alternative career would be enough to motivate Bobby but maybe not. But anyway I believe he said that he said the whole offense came out flat but then picked up tempo as the game went on.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast