Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Love Boat dilemma looms for Vikings

I wasn't going to post this, but it does pose an interesting question that I'm sure will bring about some interesting pros & cons from our PPO members.

Also due to the twist on this old topic & it's investigation over, I feel it warranted a new thread.

WWZWD?
    __________________________________________________ ___________

From the St. Cloud Times;

[size=18px]DeLand column: Love Boat dilemma looms for Vikings[/size]

Dave DeLand
    Thursday, December 1, 2005

A month ago, this seemed like a relatively easy call. Now, it's a looming moral dilemma that the Minnesota Vikings might soon have to face — or choose to ignore.
    More specifically, the dilemma is this: What should the Vikings do about the Purple Party People from the Love Boat?

In case you've forgotten — and we've heard almost nothing about it during the Vikings' four-game winning streak — a reported 17 Vikings players could face legal charges stemming from the Oct. 6 nautical excursion at Al & Alma's that turned the team into a national synonym for debauchery.

When all this blew up back in October, it seemed a foregone conclusion that Zygi Wilf and the Vikings organization would simply put their foot down and do the right thing, whatever that was deemed to be — fines, suspensions, releasing players, etc.

This was the Vikings' opportunity to take the moral high road, something that hasn't exactly been a recent hallmark of this franchise. It was a chance for the Wilf regime to definitively show that illegal and lascivious and incredibly stupid behavior wouldn't be tolerated.

But it was a lot easier to talk about suspending or cutting players when the Vikings were 2-5 and their season seemed to be swirling down the toilet.

Now, four wins later, the Vikings are back in playoff contention. They're still two games behind NFC North leader Chicago, but only one game behind the wild card co-leaders (Giants, Cowboys, Falcons, Bucs).

Three of Minnesota's five remaining games are against losing teams; the other two (Pittsburgh and Chicago) are at home. A postseason berth and even a division title aren't out of the question.

So, what happens if the protracted Love Boat investigation is finally concluded right now? What ensues if a dozen or so key players are found to be meriting punishment?

On Nov. 1, when the Good Ship Vikings was dead in the water, the answer was easy. On Dec. 1, when they suddenly have a playoff pulse, this becomes a lot more difficult.

Suspending a bunch of prominent players for even one game could halt the Vikings' momentum, wreck their new-found chemistry and doom them to a loss that would knock them out of the playoff race.

If you're Mike Tice and you know that missing the playoffs will almost certainly cost you your job, are you going to bench players and send yourself to the unemployment line?

If you're Zygi Wilf, are you going to stick to your code of conduct and possibly blow a chance for a division title and a home playoff game (and gate), or take the easy way out?

That's what this really boils down to — will the Vikings do what's right, or what's convenient? Will it be a new direction, or business as usual?

Time may tell. Or, it may not — which in itself would be very telling.

This column is the opinion of Times sports editor Dave DeLand. Contact him at 255-8771 or by e-mail at [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Love Boat dilemma looms for Vikings

[size=18px]Detectives submit Vikings boat party report to prosecutor[/size]

Star Tribune
    Last update: November 30, 2005 at 9:42 PM

Detectives on Wednesday handed a prosecutor an inch-thick file on a boat party held by Vikings players that allegedly included strippers and sex acts.

Prosecutor Steve Tallen said he is reviewing the file to decide whether anyone should be charged with a misdemeanor in the Oct. 6 party on Lake Minnetonka.

Employees of a charter boat company have identified 17 players among the approximately 90 guests on two party boats. The company's attorney has said players participated in lewd behavior.

Tallen is the prosecuting attorney for the Lake Minnetonka Conservation District, which handles nonfelony crimes committed on the lake.

Unless further investigation is needed, a decision could come next week, Tallen said.

Hennepin County sheriff's detectives conducted the investigation. They did not submit the case for felony charges, a spokesman for the county attorney's office said.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

CanadaViking is offline Pro-Bowler

This whole thing as reared its ugly head for far too long now, if there was anything significant to charge anyone with would't have already come out? I think that this whole thing should just be over, there was no one saying that there was rape or assault involved, it was a bunch of rich dudes and their pals having what they believe to be a good time!! I am not saying that pro football players should partake in this type of behaviour, but is it a crime?

If any Vikings player gets suspended for this, I believe it would be a travesty as there are a number of players around the league that beat their wives, sell drugs, and commit acts of violence off of the field, that face no suspension.

Just my little opinion, I bet it holds no ground however I just feel that there are bigger fish to fry!!

Cheers!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

If any Vikings player gets suspended for this, I believe it would be a travesty as there are a number of players around the league that beat their wives, sell drugs, and commit acts of violence off of the field, that face no suspension.
    So is what you are saying is that as long as others do it, it's OK for everyone to do it!
    I think not!
    While I agree that this has gone on far too long and I don't think that much if anything is going to come out of this, Zygi has said the Vikings are going to be above this kind of behavior and I applaude him for this. While most of you agreed that this was disgusting behavior and may have cost the Vikings a chance at a stadium deal in the near future, now that we are winning I don't think we should jump the other way.
    It was wrong for these rich young "kids" to do this and they should be taught a lesson. I think it is far better to dole out the punishments due than to just look the other way, like we have for so many years, and continue to promote this kind of behavior.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

robertsmith is offline Training Camp

the problem here is athletes even if they dont want tobe are role models

and Zygi has stated there will be a code of conduct and punishment to go along with it

if it costs us a playoff spot and/or division title it will suck from a fans point of view BUT he needs to stick to his guns, why have a code of conduct if there are special circumstances where the players can break it

this may very well ruin and inspiring second half of a season

release the names, punish the players and move on

cyviking is offline Starter Spectromancer: Gamer's Pack Champion

Last time I checked hiring a prostitute was illeagle in Minnesota. The girls on the boats were not all strippers some were high class hookers that were flown in (illeagle=punishable). I dont want to ruin the new momentum our team has but i feel the organization needs to put their foot down. Knowing we did the right thing is more important than one winning season (imho)
    "Lurker" turned Poster
    2005-06 The Lost Vikings

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

The one thing that I find hard to foresee is how he will get away with enforcing "????" on the players. There was no code of conduct before the incident. Heck, McKinnie and Johnson got in trouble with the law and they did nothing to them. I didn't see Wilf chiming in about a code of conduct then.

I think what Canada was saying, was that it seems like a witch hunt to do something to the players for getting in trouble before the Code of Conduct came out. There are no real precedents set for that kind of behavior, other than to let it play out in the public forum, court.

The disciplining of the players for the Boat Incident would be like grounding your child for coming home 10 minutes late when he wasn't told when he was supposed to come home.

I have said all along that the players will do what you let them get away with, and that is why the Code of Conduct was put in place. Now you TEACH the players what is expected. It was poor leadership from the top down and Zygi's only alternative to this was the code of conduct. He said they had been working on it before the boat incident (BS) and hadn't completed it until recently. That is Zygi's fault. My point is that we need to look forward and not into the past, teach for the future.

Also, if they get punished in the public forum (court), then let it be public. If it is a Viking punishment, that is none of our Dang business.

You all just have to trust that Zygi & The Viking Org will do better in the future. And, stop looking for people to throw stones at.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"cyviking" wrote:
    Last time I checked hiring a prostitute was illeagle in Minnesota. The girls on the boats were not all strippers some were high class hookers that were flown in (illeagle=punishable). I dont want to ruin the new momentum our team has but i feel the organization needs to put their foot down. Knowing we did the right thing is more important than one winning season (imho)
    Hypothetically speaking, if you were arrested for hiring prostitute from out of state to strip for you, would you want to be told you can't come to work today or we are docking your pay check. You were bad, go home and BTW, you won't be getting paid for 2 weeks. Heck, one good thing is you would probably have a nice law suit on your hands against your employer, $$$$$$$.

No you wouldn't want to be told that, you would want to work up until your court date and be assumed innocent until proven guilty. Heck, your employer would probably never even know what happened. In this case, you are lucky, you weren't publically humiliated on TV and in the Newspaper.

I think the players involved know they did something wrong and I would hope they are smart enough to NOT repeat it.

Finally they are winning and they can go out in public and show their faces again, people have almost forgotten about it and then a guy in St.Cloud writes an article like this about the Boat. Let them have their day in court if they are even going to be charged with a crime.

CanadaViking is offline Pro-Bowler

I am not condoning anthing that happened on the boat, I guess I am saying if had been soooooooo bad, why wasn't there any charges filed a little sooner?

It seems to be like a which hunt or something, again I think these players have a responsibility to the public, if there was something punishable, why are they waiting?

Cheers!!

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Every NFL team does stuff like this. The Bears had a fistfight and a guy broke anothers' jaw. I think that is worse than the boat party, where noone got hurt. The truth is, they went on a boat so as to be away from the public, but then the boat staff "narked" on them. The dumb thing was to fly a hooker in, because when you do interstate stuff like that it can become a federal crime, and then the FBI can get involved. Very, very dumb. Personally, I think "what happens on the boat, stays on the boat", and a country like the U.S., with its "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" mentality is pretty hypocritical if we start pointing fingers at 25-year old pro athletes with lots of money. I mean, what is the nr. 1 show on TV, "Desperate Housewives", which "celebrates" a wild, irresonsible lifestyle.

I personally am a libertarian, so I don't care what they did. But flying someone in from out of state is just dumb.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast