Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Los's Two Bits on the Game

Hey all...just didn't anyone to think I was a fair-weather Packer fan, so sorry for not coming on to receive my dose of smack last night. I got back home about 10 last night, after fighting the traffic on Hwy 29 (by the way, any Minnesotans who whine about getting ticketed by Wisconsin police? Sorry, looks like they were justified). Saw bed, aimed for pillow, assume I hit it because that's where I woke up.

Anyway, I wanted to congratulate you guys on your win. I probably could come up with a bunch of stuff to whine about, but I won't do it too much, because we just didn't come to play. You guys deserved the win, and got it.

My thoughts:

1) I will stop short of saying you "beat" us. You deserved to win, and we deserved to lose. But you guys gave us numerous opportunities to get back in the game, and we just didn't take advantage of any of them. We gave you numerous chances to take the game, and you took nearly every one of them. I'm NOT doing the "you didn't win, we beat ourselves" thing. You did win. I wish we had taken you up on your opportunites to let us back in.

2) I predicted the first team to score 14 unanswered points would win. It came true. I kept praying for an incredible comeback. Almost, but not quite.

3) I was in the stadium two hours before gametime. I remember telling my buddy that I was concerned about the lack of electricity in the stadium. I've been to nearly every playoff game at Lambeau since the early 90's, and it felt like a preseason game. The warmups were ho-hum, and even the tailgating felt calm.

4) I'm including a good pictures in the photo album of all the Vikings doing warmups, except Randy, who was waltzing around mid-field, not participating.

5) Favre's over-the-line throw. Inexplicable. Honestly, the difference in the ball game. His head wasn't in this game. While I'm sure you're all gloating over his ineptitude, I remember his Jacksonville performance, and then connecting that his wife had her first dose of chemotherapy the week before.

If you have ever known anyone who's gone through this, you know that the worst of the chemo hits you a little under a week later. I really think that while Brett can overcome his father's death (what can you do about it, anyway?), its harder to deal with watching your wife suffering, then leaving her to go play football.

Maybe an excuse. I don't know.

6) As a high school wide receiver (okay, a wing back), I am usually harder on the receivers on interceptions than the quarterback. Obviously, Favre wasn't in the game, but two of the interceptions (one to Walker, one to Chatman), both receivers gave up on the routes. Walker, who may have been hurt at the time, seemed to fade upfield and slow down, not seeming aware the ball was in the air. Chatman, who is about Carroll's height, seemed to be falling away from the ball as it was intercepted.

This frustrates me, because when a group of receivers can be motivated by Papa Favre's death, or Ferguson's injury, and then go out and not drop ANYTHING, why can't they do that every week?

7) Officiating; I can whine about this a little bit, and I don't think many of you are in any position to tell me to can it, as I did listen to you when you complained about the Steele recovery. I recognize, however, the officiating didn't lose the game for us.

However, there were two plays early on that seemed to be good challenge plays (I haven't watched the game on TV yet, so I'm going by my sitting in the stands), in which a whistle had blown, negating an chance for a challenge. That's frustrating. Also, the TD drive that put the game away was in part thanks to two cheap calls on the midget CB, who I don't think earned one of them for sure. I was sitting right on that sideline, looking up, and watched him going for the ball the whole way.

Again, I haven't seen the tape, so I might be wrong. But, if you were complaining about a couple calls going against you in the first game, you sure have no place to complain now. I wonder if you guys are as indignant about officiating when you win as you are when you lose? :-)

8 ) Moss's butt. I was sitting in the south endzone and got a good view of Moss's butt. I would have taken a picture, but I didn't have a wide-angle lens.

Obviously, I could whine and complain about this, but I won't. As many of you said, this is "Randy being Randy", and I really don't expect anything professional from him anymore. The only thing I would ask is that you no longer say that Moss is not in the same mold as Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens. He's there.

9) I also predicted that the Packers would win if they played to win, and didn't play "not to lose". Listening to Nick Barnett last night, he said their "Strategy" in the first half was to come in, lay back, and see what the Vikings would do. In the second half, they decided to attack and go out swinging. I don't think you guys scored in the third quarter at all.

So, my prediction came true. We went into a prevent defense on the first drive and we lost.

10) Sickening feelings. Seeing Tice up close, winning this game, made me sick. The bad thing for you guys is that this win, regardless of what happens next week, saved his job. Now, you're stuck with him for quite a while.

And that, to me, is what you have to look out for. I'm guessing more of you are just happy you've beaten the Packers, demoralized them, vindicated yourselves. Maybe even a "Who cares what happens next week, I'm happy". Trouble is, I have a suspicion that's what Tice and company are thinking, too.

11) The future. We indeed may be heading for a downslide. This game was critical in how Sherman and Favre will be affected by their futures.

I think this is the end for Favre. It's very sad, and in a lot of ways, I hope I'm wrong. But he's never had a losing season. I'd hate to see him come back and have one. I don't know if this team has a lot of direction right now, and I'd rather have Favre going out on a losing note than a losing season.

But this game does guarantee one thing. No matter the records, the Packers will come to play the Vikes, week in and week out. We may still be vying for the division championship, or, to be honest, we both may fall into the cellar, though you guys have a lot more young talent. Thank goodness you still have Tice and will never be able to put it all together. :-)

So, all in all, a terrible game to be at. Congrats again. Try not to embarass the NFC North against the Eagles, please.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Are your finger tips sore, Los?

I will not apologize because the Vikes won (wow), but I am sorry that a good guy like you has to feel the pain we have felt way to many times over the years!

You are a good fan to the NFL and to the Pack! I hope that Favre does retire, and doesn't come back if he can not do the things that he used to be able to do!

In the 3rd quarter though we did not take advantage of the opportunities that the Pack gaves us and we could have blown the game out! 3 turn overs in the 3rd quarter and we did not take advantage of any of them and we could have easily gone up by 21 or 28 points!

Even tho we lost the first 2 games, I am gald that it was us that won and sent your team home, sorry Los!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

No prob...I would happily trade back the Lambeau regular season win for a win yesterday. This was the one that really counted.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

skogs02 is offline Starter

4) I'm including a good pictures in the photo album of all the Vikings doing warmups, except Randy, who was waltzing around mid-field, not participating.

Moss does not warm up or stretch before games(then he wonders why his hamstring is shot)

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

All credit to you Los for coming and offering congratulations after the game. No-one lies to see their team beat, especially when they can only get to see a handful live - speak from experience there !

Good point about the calls on the 'midget CB' - this was raised in the TV studio here both for that game and the other playoff games this weekend. The onus seems to be on that rule being enforced even more than we may have seen during the regular season.
    The question on Favre is a good one - what is the initial feeling amongst GB fans on this, especially as a lot gave him a hard time early in the season when things were bad for you.

Hopefully we can keep this good feeling going until at least Wednesday before we start to think about the Eagles game
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Del Rio Guest

I hope your not refering to the two crucial holding penalties by Carrol. Because those my friend were indeed penalties no doubt about it.

Brett Favre often has games like that. He gets flustered and wings it. No excuses he sucked bad yesterday. And he has had moments like that in the past as well.

Although we wont hear much about it I credit our D they played great and had a good deal of pressure on him.

I think the main difference in the game was you guys were shell shocked. We came in and smacked your team in the mouth and you guys weren't expecting the step child to hit back. Well when we do hit we hit hard.

That game was a total blowout. We won on all sides of the ball.

I did enjoy reading your thoughts as usual.

You're a class act, Los!

You're a class act Los, I hope you post here more often!
    0fc1de3e4ff7ffe42e40bba70cebd90c

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Los's Two Bits on the Game

"LosAngelis" wrote:

And that, to me, is what you have to look out for. I'm guessing more of you are just happy you've beaten the Packers, demoralized them, vindicated yourselves. Maybe even a "Who cares what happens next week, I'm happy". Trouble is, I have a suspicion that's what Tice and company are thinking, too.

So, all in all, a terrible game to be at. Congrats again. Try not to embarass the NFC North against the Eagles, please.
    Los,

I am not just happy about the Packer game, I am looking forward to next week. It is more like we are caught in the spur of the moment but I think that even though we lost to you guys 2 times this year, in the back of our minds we have wanted to have a rematch with the Eagles since week 2. I honestly at the that time wanted the rematch to take place in MN but now after everything that happened, I am just gald we get to play them anywhere. It has only been like 20 hours since the win and that is behind me. The only thing that concerns me is the Eagles and the chance to play them again and the wish that we will be able to hear them say "well it would have been different if we had TO on the field."

About the officiating, you are right, I didn't see it. It was a little tickey-tack but the rules are rules he was holding on after 5 yds. I didn't see the Vikings getting away with it and the pack being called for it. The Vikes just weren't doing it.

Del Rio Guest

He was all over him both times after the 5 yards the jersey was being yanked away from his body a clear signal to the refs that he was holding. This has been a problem all year for this guy so no this wasn't a magicaly delicious mess up by the refs.

He was trying to be physical and after the jam you could see the WR had the edge and in order to gain ground and re position himself he grabed jersey arm whatever he needed to grab and he got caught.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Los, my only regret about winning this game is that you, and a couple of other cool Pack fans on this site, ended their season in disappointment. But hey, not all is lost. There's always room on the Purple and Gold bandwagon.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast