whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Losman breaks leg! out for three months or rest of year.

Losman out with fractured fibula
    By RODNEY MCKISSIC
    News Sports Reporter
    8/25/2004

J.P. Losman will be sidelined indefinitely.

PITTSFORD - J.P. Losman being carted off the practice field Tuesday was worse than first imagined. The Buffalo Bills rookie quarterback suffered a fractured fibula in his left leg.
    The Bills confirmed Tuesday night that Losman, a first-round selection in April out of Tulane University, has suffered a broken leg and will be out indefinitely.

The injury is similar to the one suffered last year by Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, who fractured his right fibula during the preseason. Vick missed 12 games.

The 6-foot-2, 217-pound Losman is third on the depth chart behind Bledsoe and sixth-year man Travis Brown. The Bills still have quarterback Greg Zolman on the roster, but Losman's injury could put them in the market for another.

Losman was unable to put weight on his left leg and was on the field for several minutes while being attended to by trainers before he was carted off. He was taken to the locker room and later underwent X-rays, which is standard procedure, coach Mike Mularkey said.

Losman was injured during a two-minute drill when he rolled out and ran up the right side of the field. He pulled up and veteran cornerback Troy Vincent laid his shoulder into Losman's upper body and knocked him over. The quarterback tried to get up but limped badly, and after taking a few steps he crumbled to the ground.

Mularkey said the play was an accident.

"I don't think anything was intentional," he said. "Troy is not going to try to hurt anybody."

Vincent, who joined the Bills as a free agent in March, said he was trying to avoid Losman when the two collided.

"That's my teammate, and I want to see the young man have a prosperous career," he said. "I don't play the game to injure anybody.

"As he was cutting, I was coming outside and we collided. I didn't know he fell and I continued to run, then I looked back and he was on the ground."

After a few minutes, Vincent went to check on Losman, shook his hand and helped him onto the cart.

"I wanted to make sure he was all right, and I asked him what happened," Vincent said. "We talked, and I'll make sure to keep my prayers with him. . . . He was running and trying to make things happen, and he was trying to keep the ball alive and get extra yardage, and I was trying to maintain my leverage."

The heir apparent to Drew Bledsoe, Losman was selected with the 22nd pick overall out of Tulane, where he passed for 3,077 yards and 33 touchdowns last season. Losman is coming off a solid performance in the Bills' last preseason game against the Tennessee Titans, when he completed 9 of 11 passes for 88 yards and rushed for 80 yards on seven carries. Prior to his injury, Losman threw a pair of pretty passes to wideouts Jerel Myers and Jonathan Smith during a one-on-one drill.

"At this point and time, you never want to lose anybody, especially the QB," Vincent said. "He's a guy that has a promising future. He is the future of the franchise, and you never want to see any of your teammates go down."

Losman is one of a growing list of injured Bills.

Wide receiver Eric Moulds was on the sidelines Tuesday with a bruised chest suffered during Saturday's game, and left tackle Jonas Jennings left practice after twisting his right ankle. Both are expected to practice today.

Running back Travis Henry missed practice with bruised ribs, and cornerback Terrence McGee (ankle) and safety Mark Graham (hamstring) also were sidelined.

"This is football and it's bound to happen, but at the same time we have to come out here and practice," Moulds said. "We have a good head coach who's played the game a long time, so he knows when to scale back and knows exactly what to do when players are hurt."

Tackle Marcus Price practiced for the first time since suffering a toe injury during the Bills' preseason opener against Denver, and punter Brian Moorman was back after hurting his left leg last Wednesday.

I read in another article that he is gone for atleast 3 months if not the rest of the year!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Ouch!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

man that sucks :P
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

VIKE58 is offline Pro-Bowler

Thats to bad I always hate to here when a guy that young has that bad of an injury so soon.
    GO VIKINGS GO !!!! AND THE PACK STILL BLOWS !!!!!!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Anyone else think he looks like a child molester?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

man I agree with all of you ouch that hurts just thinking about it, and Italian, Ive never seen a pic of the guy. just know that kind of injury can realy screw up your health record if not treated right during therapy
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Sucks for him, but even as bad as Drew Blows-so is, Losman would likely only see the field in garbage time this year. So he'll be forced to carry the clipboard on the sideline and learn that way.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

"purplepat" wrote:
    Sucks for him, but even as bad as Drew Blows-so is, Losman would likely only see the field in garbage time this year. So he'll be forced to carry the clipboard on the sideline and learn that way.
    Since we have Buffalo's 1st next year, Here's to Buffalo going 0-16!!! :cheers:

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Anyone else think he looks like a child molester?
    LMAO! Good one Italian! :thumbleft:
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke