sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Losing Rosie could hurt this Sunday

Losing Rosie this week sucks, because he would have been the guy blocking Ogunleye. But this will give our rookie OT a chance to prove himself. The word is that Dorsey and Adam Haayer will rotate throughout the game. With the Bears secondary depleted and Urlacher questionable, Ogunleye becomes the main threat from the Bears defense.

After seeing Daunte flee from the pursuit of Kearse and the Eagles d-line, I'm not too worried about pressure from the Bears. But Rosenthal was a key pass blocker and there have been a lot of doubts about the consistency of Dorsey. Playing the Bears this weekend, it seems to me like stopping their d-line is by far the biggest challenge we have. Expect to see the Vikings have a lot of plays where there are two tight ends or two running backs in to help with pass protection, although Tice has said at times Haayer and Dorsey will be on their own and it's up to them to handle it.

Last year Smith ran all over the Bears, but then we had Kleinsasser and if any of you remember his blocking was a big part of Smith's success. It will be interesting to see if he can do that again this year without Sauce.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Got a point but it wasnt like rosenthal was orlando pace or jonathen ogden. He was key to our offense but when you think about it he was just an average o-line men. Remember last year he got beat for four sacks on little.

All of a sudden rosies lost is like losing culpepper or moss. SUre it hurts but i think our reserves can handle it. Injuries are part of the game and you have to deal with it. Much of what the patriots did last year with there rash of injuries.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Rosenthal came into the season in much better shape than he was last year, with an attitude to be more effective. That is the difference between then and now. The loss of the new and improved Rosenthal is what is being lamented, as well as the lack of cohesion that exists currently within the O-line and the dropoff in experience when we turn to Dorsey or Haayer.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

makes ya wish we still had one of those veteren utility linemen that we seemed to have a surplus of until this year

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Hey, Calvin Collins, Everett Lindsay, Corbin Lacina and Lewis Kelly are all floating out there as FAs. I am pretty sure one of them has something left and as I recall, they all played multiple positions along the line.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"hawaiianvike21" wrote:
    Got a point but it wasnt like rosenthal was orlando pace or jonathen ogden. He was key to our offense but when you think about it he was just an average o-line men. Remember last year he got beat for four sacks on little.

All of a sudden rosies lost is like losing culpepper or moss. SUre it hurts but i think our reserves can handle it. Injuries are part of the game and you have to deal with it. Much of what the patriots did last year with there rash of injuries.

You did see the difference in pass protection when he was in against phily and dallas, compared to when haayer was in for him??? Rosenthol was playing extremely well this preseason and early regular season and after seeing haayer get worked, his injury worries me alot. I like dorsey and think he has a ton of talent, but he isn't ready to be a starter yet in the NFL. Hopefully playing him against a weaker bears team, then the bye week, and then a weaker houston team, will get him ready for the tougher part of our schedule. Right now, it will be survive with him at right tackle, but he will need to be ready midway through the season.

I was suprised that Tice didn't use a TE or RB to help haayer out on monday night, so I wouldn't expect to see him do it this week either. With their depleted secondary, I bet we use a lot of 3, 4, and 5 WR sets.

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

It will hurt the rest of the year. Can the boys come back? I think so.
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I vote for Lacina because he is from my school

Augustana Vikings baby.

He once punched a guy out in the lunch line for budding in line and taking his pork chop. I didn't see it myself but heard it second hand.

Lindsay would be more versatile though

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    "hawaiianvike21" wrote:

You did see the difference in pass protection when he was in against phily and dallas, compared to when haayer was in for him??? Rosenthol was playing extremely well this preseason and early regular season and after seeing haayer get worked, his injury worries me alot. I like dorsey and think he has a ton of talent, but he isn't ready to be a starter yet in the NFL. Hopefully playing him against a weaker bears team, then the bye week, and then a weaker houston team, will get him ready for the tougher part of our schedule. Right now, it will be survive with him at right tackle, but he will need to be ready midway through the season.

I was suprised that Tice didn't use a TE or RB to help haayer out on monday night, so I wouldn't expect to see him do it this week either. With their depleted secondary, I bet we use a lot of 3, 4, and 5 WR sets.
    I don't know if he was doing much better than anyone else on the line on Monday.

Did you see the play that he got hurt on? He was bull rushed 4 yrds straight back and couldn't keep his feet under him and on a step back his weight and the other guys weight was too much.

He was almost sitting on his own foot, it twisted and broke!

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Last year was Rosenthal's first as a Viking and he had to adjust to some differences between our o-line and the Giants. After playing with us all year and coming into the season with a new contract, his performance is much better. I'd be a lot more confident about containing Ogun if he were in. His replacement was penalized twice in the Eagles game, and there was a difference in pass protection with him out.

What does help is that we're playing at home so that should cut down on stupid mistakes, although I hate saying that because a really good team can stay focused on the road as well.

That's a good point about exploiting the secondary, muchluv. Tice would be a fool not to attack the Bears in the air. But depending on how the new OTs are doing we may need to give them some help. Damn these injuries suck...
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters