Formo is offline Team Alumni

Re: Los Angeles Vikings?

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    [quote author=Vikes link=topic=45698.msg794130#msg794130 date=1213943457]
    Well the good news is the Lakers and Vikes would be reunited. All the team colors would match. Minny would get another Football team. Just like Cleveland lost it's team.
    IF the Vikes move to L.A...
    I hope they change the name/colors.
    That way, when we were to get a new NFL team, we could bring the Vikings back.
    I tend to be a optimist on most things.
    On this one I'm not so sure.

If (Big If) the legislature/Wilf Ownership group/State etc can't get something done next year and the Vikes leave, I don't see the NFL ever putting a team back in MN.
    Agreed.
    32 teams sets up a perfect scheduling rotation and playoff schedule.
    At a minimum they would have to add 2 new teams, more than likely 4 to realign the divisions correctly.
    I just don't see it happening.
    Adding 2 teams, that shouldn't be that hard to find 2 city's to host an NFL football team right would it?
    Especially if they want to go internationally.
    Yes, but 2 teams would put 17 in each of the conferences.
    There is no way to divide that up equally among divisions, so the scheduling formula would have to be scrapped.
    If they added 4, then at least you could realign into 3 divisions of 6 teams and keep somewhat of the same scheduling formula.
    But then the playoffs are screwed up.
    Even if we add 8 teams, the scheduling would be screwed up, although then the playoffs could stay the same.

Expansion just is not feasible for the NFL right now.
    I prefer the idea of extending the season by one week, and having 8 of the extra games played in a large market (like LA), and the other 8 games played internationally.
    [/quote]

Who's to say that we'd get an expansion?
    How about movin' Jacksonville up here?
    Or another weak marketed/attendance team?
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Wow.

16 pages. Have they moved yet, I don't have time to back and read the whole thing ;D

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    I don't know what you are talking about. Sure you can work overnight at McDonalds, but if you are a carpenter, plumber, electrician etc.
    that probably isn't going to support your family. My brother is a union plumber, he has worked about 6 months in the last year and that was only because he was able to relocate to Florida for months at a time, most people can't. His union has 600 members in line ahead of him for job placement(he can seek employment without the union, but very few are hiring). My dad who is also a union plumber and has been with the same company for 20+ years has not had a 40 hour week in almost a year, by far the worst year since he started. I suppose they could get part time jobs, but it would certainly not pay what they are accustomed.
    OK, so your father and brother are two examples of people who are having issues finding work.
    Not to trivialize anything about their situation, but if there are 600 qualified people ahead of them looking for work, maybe that is a good indication that the plumbing sector isn't a good choice of employment right now.
    I see the same thing happening here, especially with the decline in new house construction.
    The people that have come through the most successfully are the one who have switched roles.
    Many stayed in construction, but moved into another sector, like road construction - which BTW is booming right now.

Sometimes change is needed to stay on top.
    Again, I sympathize for your father and brother, but I also think that is a relatively small sample to judge the US economy against.
    Not only are they both related to you, but they both have identical jobs.
    At best, it is an indication of a slowdown in a specific job market (new home construction).
    My comment was directed at Mars statement that there is work out their for anyone who wants to work. My point was that there is not work in all fields, and switching careers in your 50's is not easy.(or late 20's with a mortgage payment for that matter).
    My dad probably won't be switching jobs, he will stay where he's at and if he gets laid off then early retirement for him.
    My brother is currently looking for work in other areas but there is not a lot of options out there. He can go back to school, but that will take years to finish and years after that to get back to what he currently earns. He is actually looking at doing another plumbing job in Florida(downtown Miami actually) with the company he previously worked for but that won't be until november-december and he has no guarantees it will be available.
    Unemployment in Minnesota is higher than it's been in a long time. Check out the want ads in the paper and you will be shocked at how few there are(star trib had less than half a column, yahoo jobs has 2300 in all of minnesota-they use other sources, how many are low paying, how many say make $800 a day from home?). For every 4 unemployed people in Minnesota there is 1 job opening according to 1 article I found.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/state_unemployment/
    http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/job-search?jobtype=PERM&jobtype=CONT&commitment=FT&com mitment=PT&kw=&locations=minnesota&country=&indust ry=#core=%7B%22offset%22%3A0%2C%22detailed%22%3Atr ue%2C%22sort%22%3A%7B%22type%22%3A%22relevancy%22% 2C%22reverse%22%3Afalse%7D%7D

But the number one issue facing the state of MN is the vikings and Nfl are not happy with the stadium situation.
    I never said that it was the number one issue.
    Again, a stadium does not take money away from any other programs.
    Should that state focus on infrastructure and economic issues?
    Absolutely.
    Should it focus on those issues to the point that it ignores all others?
    Absolutely not.
    Of course a stadium takes away from other programs, or it takes more from the taxpayers. We do not have a surplus so either they will have to cut funding else where or raise taxes(or maybe fees : ). I can respect your side of the issue but don't bring that weak stuff.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    I don't know what you are talking about. Sure you can work overnight at McDonalds, but if you are a carpenter, plumber, electrician etc.
    that probably isn't going to support your family. My brother is a union plumber, he has worked about 6 months in the last year and that was only because he was able to relocate to Florida for months at a time, most people can't. His union has 600 members in line ahead of him for job placement(he can seek employment without the union, but very few are hiring). My dad who is also a union plumber and has been with the same company for 20+ years has not had a 40 hour week in almost a year, by far the worst year since he started. I suppose they could get part time jobs, but it would certainly not pay what they are accustomed.
    OK, so your father and brother are two examples of people who are having issues finding work.
    Not to trivialize anything about their situation, but if there are 600 qualified people ahead of them looking for work, maybe that is a good indication that the plumbing sector isn't a good choice of employment right now.
    I see the same thing happening here, especially with the decline in new house construction.
    The people that have come through the most successfully are the one who have switched roles.
    Many stayed in construction, but moved into another sector, like road construction - which BTW is booming right now.

Sometimes change is needed to stay on top.
    Again, I sympathize for your father and brother, but I also think that is a relatively small sample to judge the US economy against.
    Not only are they both related to you, but they both have identical jobs.
    At best, it is an indication of a slowdown in a specific job market (new home construction).
    My comment was directed at Mars statement that there is work out their for anyone who wants to work. My point was that there is not work in all fields, and switching careers in your 50's is not easy.(or late 20's with a mortgage payment for that matter).
    My dad probably won't be switching jobs, he will stay where he's at and if he gets laid off then early retirement for him.
    My brother is currently looking for work in other areas but there is not a lot of options out there. He can go back to school, but that will take years to finish and years after that to get back to what he currently earns. He is actually looking at doing another plumbing job in Florida(downtown Miami actually) with the company he previously worked for but that won't be until november-december and he has no guarantees it will be available.
    Unemployment in Minnesota is higher than it's been in a long time. Check out the want ads in the paper and you will be shocked at how few there are(star trib had less than half a column, yahoo jobs has 2300 in all of minnesota-they use other sources, how many are low paying, how many say make $800 a day from home?). For every 4 unemployed people in Minnesota there is 1 job opening according to 1 article I found.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/state_unemployment/
    http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/job-search?jobtype=PERM&jobtype=CONT&commitment=FT&com mitment=PT&kw=&locations=minnesota&country=&indust ry=#core=%7B%22offset%22%3A0%2C%22detailed%22%3Atr ue%2C%22sort%22%3A%7B%22type%22%3A%22relevancy%22% 2C%22reverse%22%3Afalse%7D%7D

But the number one issue facing the state of MN is the vikings and Nfl are not happy with the stadium situation.
    I never said that it was the number one issue.
    Again, a stadium does not take money away from any other programs.
    Should that state focus on infrastructure and economic issues?
    Absolutely.
    Should it focus on those issues to the point that it ignores all others?
    Absolutely not.
    Of course a stadium takes away from other programs, or it takes more from the taxpayers. We do not have a surplus so either they will have to cut funding else where or raise taxes(or maybe fees : ). I can respect your side of the issue but don't bring that weak stuff.
    The tax for the Metrodome didn't take away from other programs, in fact it probably added to it.

The stadium was paid for by an extra tax on alcohol. The stadium was also paid for several years ago (can't remember the exact year), but that tax is still there & was never lifted. So the question is, where is that money going?

Is it going for other programs? Probably so. Is it going towards the funding of a new stadium? No it's not.

It would be interesting to know just how much money they've collected from the Metrodome alcohol tax increase since the day the stadium was paid for.

I'd bet it's a huge chunk of money that would go a hell of a long ways towards the building of a new one.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Wow.
    Nice call Singer.
    I didn't know that, well, outside the fact that the Metrodome (also dubbed the P.O.S.) was paid off YEARS before it was expected to be paid off.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    The tax for the Metrodome didn't take away from other programs, in fact it probably added to it.

The stadium was paid for by an extra tax on alcohol. The stadium was also paid for several years ago (can't remember the exact year), but that tax is still there & was never lifted. So the question is, where is that money going?
    Is it going for other programs? Probably so. Is it going towards the funding of a new stadium? No it's not.

It would be interesting to know just how much money they've collected from the Metrodome alcohol tax increase since the day the stadium was paid for.

I'd bet it's a huge chunk of money that would go a hell of a long ways towards the building of a new one.
    Therein lies the rub for me.........

Wonder who's pocket that has been put in over the years....... :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

sh01002 is offline Rookie

To be honest...LA wouldn't know what to do with a pro football team.
    I mean WHERE would you put it?
    This city is just becoming more and more suffocating.
    But of course...it would be great to have Booty back!!!
    Play in my Vikings fantasy football league!
    http://www.rotohog.com/group/nfl/joinleagues/viewleague?leagueid=9025

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516