Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Looks like no stadium support this year

Minneapolis, which has to conduct a study to find space in the city, cannot fund another stadium.
    That's it in a nutshell. I don't think a deal will ever get done in Minneapolis. Perhaps not even MN.

Anoka was willing to chip in around $250 mil last year & I believe Zygi was willing to chip in around $200 mil. The rest of the $500 mil the state was to come up with. Only about half. And at that time the NFL was willing to put in around $50 mil.

A deal did not get done.

This year it rose to about $950 mil, with Wilf promising $250 mil of it. The state was to come up with $700 mil.

A deal will not get done.

Does anyone besides me see a pattern here?

The cost will only rise & continue to rise in the upcoming years. With the legislature snubbing their noses at the $500 mil price tag, I don't ever forsee them approving anything that will cost them more.

There will come a day when Wilf says enough is enough.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    Minneapolis, which has to conduct a study to find space in the city, cannot fund another stadium.
    That's it in a nutshell. I don't think a deal will ever get done in Minneapolis. Perhaps not even MN.

Anoka was willing to chip in around $250 mil last year & I believe Zygi was willing to chip in around $200 mil. The rest of the $500 mil the state was to come up with. Only about half. And at that time the NFL was willing to put in around $50 mil.

A deal did not get done.

This year it rose to about $950 mil, with Wilf promising $250 mil of it. The state was to come up with $700 mil.

The cost will only rise & continue to rise in the upcoming years. With the legislature snubbing their noses at the $500 mil price tag, I don't ever forsee them approving anything that will cost them more.

Ah, singer.
    Don't be such a downer this morning.

Here is my take.
    Wilf knows that getting a stadium bill passed is largely dependent on the general public's view of the Vikings.
    We are coming off from a rather boring, losing season, and the state just ponied up the money to have two other stadiums built.
    The odds of him getting a Vikings bill passed this year are slim to none anyway.

If he were to make a huge push this year, it would be all too easy for stadium opponents to play the "why should we finance another stadium for a losing team?" card.
    He would be fighting a losing battle, and probably end up losing future support in the process.

Within the next year or two, the Vikings need to make a strong run in the playoffs.
    Then, Wilf will be able to come in on the coattails of a growing fan base and playoff excitement, pump some generous money in to a pre-legislation media campaign, and watch the new stadium get built.

I think Wilf has a plan. Keep the faith. ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

A deal did not get done.

Ah, singer.

Here is my take.
    Wilf knows that getting a stadium bill passed is largely dependent on the general public's view of the Vikings.
    We are coming off from a rather boring, losing season, and the state just ponied up the money to have two other stadiums built.
    The odds of him getting a Vikings bill passed this year are slim to none anyway.

If he were to make a huge push this year, it would be all too easy for stadium opponents to play the "why should we finance another stadium for a losing team?" card.
    He would be fighting a losing battle, and probably end up losing future support in the process.

Within the next year or two, the Vikings need to make a strong run in the playoffs.
    Then, Wilf will be able to come in on the coattails of a growing fan base and playoff excitement, pump some generous money in to a pre-legislation media campaign, and watch the new stadium get built.

I'm just looking at in reality. Money is a big issue & the cost keeps escalating.

By the time they get around to pushing a stadium again, the costs will be pushing 2-3 billion. Your not going to see the Minnesota legislature fork out that kind of ching.

Especially in the liberal state of MN.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

Wilf has a plan.
    And will eventually get a stadium here in Minnesota.

Json is offline GM

Just the thought of this subject makes me nervous.
    Something needs to get done, and the state who demands it has a retractable roof, needs to anti up that money then, not Zygi and company.
    Football is meant to be played outside, and eventhough I think the roof would be a good idea for the hopes of the NCAA tournement etc, it's not neccessary for Zygi.
    Regardless, it just needs to get done!

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Can you say "Hello Los Angeles"
    lets hope it doesnt come down to that!

That's what I worry about. Zygi will play hard ball first before he would consider it.

The legislature are just asses when it comes to the Vikings. The Vikings have never had a stadium they could call their own in the 46 years they've been here. 36!

From 61 to 81 they played on a baseball field. From 82 to present day they still play on a shared field with the Twins.

It took 10 years to finally get a bill passed for a domed multi-purpose stadium & another 5 years to build & that was even during the era when the Vikes appeared in 3 Superbowls. They started pushing hard for a domed stadium in 1970.

I personally feel they won't get a stadium deal done in the very near future with the legislature they have.

You think they would have learned their lesson when the North Stars left.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

A deal did not get done.

Ah, singer.

Here is my take.

So basically, the Vikings win, Minnesota gets a stadium, if not, they're gone?

Mmm...Go Vikes!!

tclawmen is offline Starter

The state of Minnesota will NEVER I repeat
    NEVER put up the kind of money that will be required on their part for a new stadium to be built. If they were to support a new Vikings stadium, they would not have the kind of money required to:
    #1 - support all the illegal immigrents that move here every year.
    #2 - take care of all the unemployed people from Gary Indiana and Chicago Illinois that make Minnesota their home on the 15th and 30th of every month just so they can collect their welfare checks
    #3 - Oh, and if they were to support a stadium, who would pay for all the instructions at the drivers license bureau, I believe they are printed in 17 different languages just to be sure WE dont discriminate.
    I mean really, all of these things cost alot of money and unfortunatly, the liberal state of Minnesota has its priorities so far up their jiggly butt they will let the team and all the revenue it creates move to L.A. and thats when they will get their new stadium.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12