Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

Looks like Bennett and Bryant M will be ok

"pepper 0n moss" wrote:
    a. most of the players asked tice to extend their playing time to the third quarter.
    If Tice does something just because the players ask them, that's crap coaching if you ask me. Remember, HE draws the line, not the players. He needs to take charge and lay down the law-the players should have zero say in their playing time, the coach should be making that decision-and the players should have no say in it whatsoever.

Tice is an idiot for playing our starters in the second half. Hopefully Tice stops making stupid choices by the Dallas game.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Couldn't disagree with you more, VS. Its clear why he does so, and if you read and understand the reasoning behind the decision, it is solid. You should then call the majority of NFL coaches stupid and interview for a position yourself.

"webmaster" wrote:
    Couldn't disagree with you more, VS. Its clear why he does so, and if you read and understand the reasoning behind the decision, it is solid. You should then call the majority of NFL coaches stupid and interview for a position yourself.
    "Tice uses the third preseason game to give his first-team players the sensation of returning to competition after the halftime cooldown. "
    There's his reason. That's a horrible reason to play starters in the 2nd half. Especially when you then get 2 guys injured as a result of that decision. And, I also read at the top of this page that Bennett will miss the opener. That wouldn't be such a problem if Smith didn't get suspended, and I blame that on Tice as a result of a breakdown of team discipline. If we lose the opener.....thanks Tice.

The thing is that most NFL coaches who do this don't have a history of making stupid decisions. Tice consistently makes stupid decisions, and I'm starting to get fed up with it. Tice needs to fix it up soon. We've got a great shot to take it all the way this year, and I don't want Tice screwing it up.

The reasoning behind this is anything but solid IMO. You may find it a sufficient explanation, but I think it's stupid reasoning and an unsufficient explenation.

Hopefully I'm wrong about Tice.

pepper 0n moss is offline Pro-Bowler

There's his reason. That's a horrible reason to play starters in the 2nd half. Especially when you then get 2 guys injured as a result of that decision.
    ehhh... let's put it this way... if bennett // bryant's injury happened on the first drive and in the first quarter of action, we wouldn't be saying sh!t.

it was a freak accident waiting to happen and we just need to accept the reality that injuries are a part of the game.

if nothing happened to bennett or bryant, i believe we would all be praising tice for his reasoning of leaving the starters in the second half.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Since no one commented after I posted this response on the mckinnie thread, I will repost it here.

TICE SCREWED UP!
    I am not disputing that starters usually play a series or two in the 2nd half of the 3rd preseason game, but there are certainly circumstances that come up, where it is totally not necessary. Let me ask this question, if the score was 50-0, do you think the starters would or should have been out playing in the third quarter? If you answer yes to that question, then you are mental. Of coarse the starters wouldn't even have been in the game, they wouldn't even have played the whole 1st half, if they were dominating that much. I don't care if it is the 3rd preseason game, and it is common for starters to play into the third quarter(even though I saw way more teams who didn't play there starters in the 3rd last night, than did), if a team is dominating like we did in the first half, there is absolutely no reason for them to be playing anymore, NONE. 330 yards of offense to 60 for the 49ers in the first half!

Again I say that if the game was close or if our starters hadn't absolutley dominated in the first half, then yes you do put the starters out there in the 3rd. We did the same thing in the third preseason game last year, because we didn't outgain the other team by 270 yards in the 1st half. I had no problem with that. This is a totally different situation. As soon as bennett and McKinnie got hurt, Tice realized that it was stupid to have his starters out there and he didn't even play his D starters in the 3rd because of that. There must have been a reason he played the offensive starters and not the D starters in the 3rd, don't you think?

Don't make this out to be a debate on playing starters in the 3rd vs not playing them in the 3rd, because I am not debating that. I am debating that the starters have no need to be out there i the 3rd when they gained 270 more yards than the opponent in the first half. Tice said before the game that his starters would probably play in the 3rd, but THAT IT WASN'T ETCHED IN STONE. I wonder what more our team needed to have done in the first half, to get him not to play them in the 2nd?

And you can also look at the vikes 49ers game thread, where you will see that I said early in the first half, that no way the starters should play in the 3rd, because of the way they were dominating the first half. So that will show I am not saying this just because guys got hurt.

pepper 0n moss is offline Pro-Bowler

good points, but dominating in total yards doesn't mean jack if we were only up 16-0.

"pepper 0n moss" wrote:
    There's his reason. That's a horrible reason to play starters in the 2nd half. Especially when you then get 2 guys injured as a result of that decision.
    ehhh... let's put it this way... if bennett // bryant's injury happened on the first drive and in the first quarter of action, we wouldn't be saying sh!t.

it was a freak accident waiting to happen and we just need to accept the reality that injuries are a part of the game.

if nothing happened to bennett or bryant, i believe we would all be praising tice for his reasoning of leaving the starters in the second half.
    Of course I wouldn't be saying shit about Tice if this happened in the 1st half. I'm saying shit about him because this "freak accident" would have not happened if he would have made the right decision. Yes, injuries are part of the game, but when they happen as a result of a stupid decision, the person who made the decision needs to be held accountable.

If these injuries didn't happen, I would not be praising Tice for playing starters in the 2nd half. I think the whole idea of that is stupid and not worth the risks that associate with it.

"pepper 0n moss" wrote:
    good points, but dominating in total yards doesn't mean jack if we were only up 16-0.

We were only up 16-0???? Lets see, first elling missed an extra point, then a field goal, is 20-0 good enough of a score to sit the starters? Second and most importantly, what the heck does the score of a preseason game mean?? NOTHING. Who cares what the score was, we absolutely did whatever we wanted on offense and on D. The only time we were stopped on offense was by ourselves. The was no reason for our starters to be out there on the field after how badly them dominated the 1st half, PERIOD. What were they suppose to be proving anyways, against the 49ers 2nd team D? This was a horrible descision by tice and he realized it and told his D starters that they weren't gonna play in the 2nd half, after bennett and mckinnie got hurt.

Big Daddy is offline Starter

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    "pepper 0n moss" wrote:

We were only up 16-0???? Lets see, first elling missed an extra point, then a field goal, is 20-0 good enough of a score to sit the starters? Second and most importantly, what the heck does the score of a preseason game mean?? NOTHING. Who cares what the score was, we absolutely did whatever we wanted on offense and on D. The only time we were stopped on offense was by ourselves. The was no reason for our starters to be out there on the field after how badly them dominated the 1st half, PERIOD. What were they suppose to be proving anyways, against the 49ers 2nd team D? This was a horrible descision by tice and he realized it and told his D starters that they weren't gonna play in the 2nd half, after bennett and mckinnie got hurt.
    I think what pepper on moss was getting at was after the first 2 drives we didn't do anything. We did not finnish off our drives like we need to in the regular season. Elling shouldn't have missed his field goal, but guess what we shoul have scored a Td instead. You shouldn't have to kick a 44 yard field goal after you have a first and 10 on the 17 yardline! Maybe if the Viks wouldn't have had all the mental errors and scored 4 TD they wouldn't have played in the second half. Moving the ball and gaining yards doesn't mean anything unless you finnish off your drives and get points on the board.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it s warmth!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast