Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Looks like Bennett and Bryant M will be ok

At the top of the post is says startribune and all that good stuff but it was under the title of something about burelson.

rjkvikings is offline Asst. Coach

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/4952599.html

Big Daddy is offline Starter

Just read that Bennett is out 1-3 weeks, guess the MRI showed some damage and now he is questionable for the opener
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it s warmth!

Big Daddy is offline Starter

Sorry I forgot to put the link in, here you go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1870150

Lets just hope he'll be ok and can play against Dallas.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it s warmth!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I am comfortbale with Moe carrying the load for a couple of games, but we need McKinnie to guard peps blind spot!! F*&#ing Ontarrio!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Toss2Moss84 is offline Starter

Bennett to miss season opener and probably Philly Game....

Bennett will miss Vikings' season opener
    Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    August 29, 2004

Anyone wondering why the Vikings haven't traded one of their running backs should understand now. The team learned Saturday that starter Michael Bennett will miss up to a month because of a sprained right knee, a surprising prognosis for an injury initially deemed minor in the aftermath of Friday's 23-10 preseason victory against San Francisco.

An MRI performed Saturday revealed a second-degree sprain of Bennett's medial collateral ligament, giving him virtually no chance to play in the Sept. 12 season opener against Dallas. Privately, team officials are bracing for him to miss the Sept. 20 game at Philadelphia as well and are hoping he can return Sept. 26 against Chicago.

With backup Onterrio Smith expected to serve a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, the Vikings will start veteran Moe Williams against the Cowboys, coach Mike Tice said. Williams, rookie Mewelde Moore and first-year player Larry Ned will split time in the absence of Bennett and Smith.

"That's why we kept the depth, so we wouldn't have to worry about something like this," Tice said after the Vikings' 45-minute workout Saturday at Winter Park. "If we didn't have the kind of depth we have, we'd be worried. It's a shame to lose Mike, but this isn't golf. Injuries happen."

Williams filled in capably last season when Bennett sat out eight games because of a stress fracture in his foot, but the Vikings will miss one of their key playmakers. After quiet performances in the first two preseason games, Bennett ran for 91 yards on 11 carries Friday night.

However, at the end of an 11-yard run in the third quarter, 49ers safety Erik Totten hit Bennett's right knee with his helmet. Left tackle Bryant McKinnie injured his right knee on the same play, but tests revealed only a minor sprain. McKinnie will miss Thursday's preseason finale but will start against Dallas.

Bennett was convinced Friday night that his injury was minor as well. After his injury-shortened 2003 season, he was primed for a breakout performance this season.

Instead, injuries will shorten a season for the third time in his four-year career. Bennett appeared distraught by Saturday's news as he left Winter Park.

"I have no comment," he said. "It just feels real sore, man."

Tice acknowledged he briefly second-guessed his decision to send the starting offense onto the field for the first series of the third quarter. Along with many other NFL coaches, Tice uses the third preseason game to give his first-team players the sensation of returning to competition after the halftime cooldown.

When both Bennett and McKinnie were hurt on the same play, Tice wondered if the approach was worth the additional injury risk.

"But the more I thought about it, the more I realized an injury can happen any time," Tice said. "Michael could have done the same thing in the first quarter, and it wouldn't be an issue. [Extending starters into the third quarter] is something you have to do. How can your team be in game shape when the season starts if they haven't even played into the second half in one preseason game? It's a shame, but injuries are a part of football."

The Vikings could do worse than start Williams against Dallsas. He rushed for a career-high 745 yards last season, including a combined 283 yards in the first three games. He was limited during this year's training camp by a strained calf muscle but said Saturday, "I feel great now."

Tice traditionally limits the play of rookies early in the season; last year, Williams carried 22 times in the opener at Green Bay while Smith did not play. But Moore should take some carries against Dallas, and the Vikings are hoping that Ned -- who reeled off a 24-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter Friday -- can contribute as well.

Ned will play extensively Thursday against the Seahawks.

"I came to camp knowing that I needed to be ready for anything," said Ned, who spent last year on the practice squad. "I needed to be ready to step up when the opportunity is there. Unfortunately, Bennett is out. He'll come back and be well. But in the meantime, the rest of us have to step up -- me, Mewelde and Moe."

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

We will be ok for the first couple games, shoot i bet larry ned could run behind that line and we would be just fine. But i feel real comfortable with Moe hes a pro all the way and he always bails us out on 3rd downs.

pepper 0n moss is offline Pro-Bowler

ok everyone stop blaming tice and the coaching staff for bennett's injury. for the past couple days, everyone has been saying how it was stupid how tice played his started through the third quarter. however, let's not forget that:::

a. most of the players asked tice to extend their playing time to the third quarter.

b. we need the practice. games are won and lost in the second half and we need to condition our players and have them have experience opening up the second half. personally, i would not want dallas rolling into the dome with all of our starters not having experience this year of extending their game into the second half. especially on the defensive side of the ball where we will start two rookies.

just my opinion, bash me at will---

rjkvikings is offline Asst. Coach

"pepper 0n moss" wrote:
    ok everyone stop blaming tice and the coaching staff for bennett's injury. for the past couple days, everyone has been saying how it was stupid how tice played his started through the third quarter. however, let's not forget that:::

a. most of the players asked tice to extend their playing time to the third quarter.

b. we need the practice. games are won and lost in the second half and we need to condition our players and have them have experience opening up the second half. personally, i would not want dallas rolling into the dome with all of our starters not having experience this year of extending their game into the second half. especially on the defensive side of the ball where we will start two rookies.

just my opinion, bash me at will---
    Not only will I not bash u, but I will agree with you. The starters need to be able to come out after the 1st half and continue to play as well as they did before halftime. Otherwise, our team is in a lot of trouble.

pepper 0n moss is offline Pro-Bowler

yes, and we need to rid our reputation of getting off to a hot start and flaming out faster than a white boy diggin a shovel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast