NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Looking for ways to support the Vikings Stadium?

There are several sites and organizations out there that are devoted to securing a stadium for the Vikings. I thought I would put them all into one thread so that interested PP.Oers can easily find them.

Minnesota Momentum
    www.minnesotamomentum.com/
    A grassroots coalition of fans, community and business leaders who are dedicated to finding a stadium solution for the Minnesota Vikings. One of the first grassroots organizations, and supported heavily by Bud Grant.

SaveTheVikes.org
    www.savethevikes.org
    SavetheVikes.org is a grassroots, nonpartisan group dedicated to getting the Vikings a new home in Minnesota. The group is open to many forms of stadium solutions and financing, and does not advocate a specific agenda. This is the group that initiated the rallies on the steps of the Capitol.

Vikings Fans United
    http://vikingsfansunited.webs.com
    A group of Vikings fans that has recently joined forces with SaveTheVikes.org. This web site is a good one that provides contact information for state legislators and the governor, as well as very good email templates that can be used by both in-state AND OUT OF STATE fans.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

Re: Looking for ways to support the Vikings Stadium?

Here is a copy of the email I just sent to Gov Pawlenty using the email template. I have sent emails to his office in the past, but I was about due for another one anyway...

Dear Governor Pawlenty,

I am writing you today to let you know that I am in support of finding a stadium resolution for the Vikings, and I am hoping that you will do everything within your power to ensure that the Vikings remain in Minnesota.

Although I am not a Minnesota resident, I would like to assure you that my support of the Minnesota Vikings does bring benefit to the state of Minnesota. My family and I frequently attend games, and when we do we spend money in your community. We stay at your hotels, we rent cars, we eat at your restaurants, we shop at your shopping malls, and we spend money on other forms of entertainment. Although we love doing all these other things, the main reason we visit is to watch our beloved Minnesota Vikings play.

I am sympathetic to the economic situation that our country finds itself in, and I assure you that we are feeling some of the same pains that you feel in Minnesota. For those reasons, I understand that it isn't a great time to have to be talking about this.

That said, I have made it a point to educate myself on the situation, and I understand that some creative solutions are already being discussed that wouldn't burden the taxpayers of Minnesota or exasperate your deficit situation. It is my hope that all ideas get explored in their entirety and that an acceptable solution can be found that would keep the Vikings in Minnesota for years to come.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Paul Bourdeaux
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Looking for ways to support the Vikings Stadium?

Not sure if you caught this nugget this past week

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_13956936

Dick Day to resign from state Senate seat to lobby for 'racinos'

The Minnesota Legislature is losing one of its most colorful characters.

State Sen. Dick Day, R-Owatonna, announced Tuesday that he will resign his seat Jan. 8 to become the chief lobbyist for a new group that wants to put slot machines and video games at the Canterbury Park and Running Aces racetracks...

The revenue could be used for education, health care, transportation projects or even a new Minnesota Vikings stadium, he said. But he added he has not talked to the Vikings about that idea.
    There's your sign

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Re:Looking for ways to support the Vikings Stadium?

Frankly, I wonder just how much "support" one can really offer if one is not a Minnesota taxpayer?

Do you really think the governor, or any Minnesota politician that would be in charge of appropriating public money towards a new stadium, gives a rat's patootie what some Vikings fan outside Minnesota thinks (unless that same fan travels into the Twin Cities for every single home game)?

If you can't put a guy in public office, on the public teat, or get him out of office and off that same public teat, they really don't care what you think.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator

Lets all get together and just build one. We can use mud and straw. Maybe some paper clips and chewing gum?

How To Build a [strike]House[/strike] Stadium from Straw Bale and Mud
    http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/10/how-to-straw-bale-house.php

Good thing it doesnt snow or rain in Minnesota.

Blog Entries

purplepat wrote:
    Frankly, I wonder just how much "support" one can really offer if one is not a Minnesota taxpayer?

Do you really think the governor, or any Minnesota politician that would be in charge of appropriating public money towards a new stadium, gives a rat's patootie what some Vikings fan outside Minnesota thinks (unless that same fan travels into the Twin Cities for every single home game)?

If you can't put a guy in public office, on the public teat, or get him out of office and off that same public teat, they really don't care what you think.
    To be fair, Minnesota voters have more impact, but that isn't to say that out of state commerce should be ignored. How many people at each game are from out of state? 5%? 10% My completely unscientific guess puts it close to 25% with both out of state Vikings fans and fans of other teams. That would mean that there are around 12K to 16K out of state people spending their out of state money at Minnesota gas stations, Minnesota Hotels, Minnesota Restaurants, etc.

Imagine if there was an opportunity to host a convention 8-10 times a year that would pull in 12K to 16K people each time. The legislature would be bending over backwards to accomodate the convention because of the out of state money it would be bringing into Minnesota. For some reason, even though it represents as much money, Vikings games are looked at as something different.

You rarely rise to the position of governor without being able to recognize the impact that out of state money can make on a state's economy. (Although Minnesota DID elect Ventura before, so I guess anything is possible... )
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

purplepat wrote:

I think the Gov is more aware that "Out of State" "Non-Tax Payers" still spend alot of money in his state.

Long story short, I might not pay your state taxes directly out of my check each and every payday, but I am gonna drop some serious coin this weekend, and most of that will be heavily taxed I'm sure.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

NodakPaul wrote:
    purplepat wrote:

To be fair, Minnesota voters have more impact, but that isn't to say that out of state commerce should be ignored. How many people at each game are from out of state? 5%? 10% My completely unscientific guess puts it close to 25% with both out of state Vikings fans and fans of other teams. That would mean that there are around 12K to 16K out of state people spending their out of state money at Minnesota gas stations, Minnesota Hotels, Minnesota Restaurants, etc.

Imagine if there was an opportunity to host a convention 8-10 times a year that would pull in 12K to 16K people each time. The legislature would be bending over backwards to accomodate the convention because of the out of state money it would be bringing into Minnesota. For some reason, even though it represents as much money, Vikings games are looked at as something different.

You rarely rise to the position of governor without being able to recognize the impact that out of state money can make on a state's economy. (Although Minnesota DID elect Ventura before, so I guess anything is possible... )
    Your ability to articulate a discussion point is so much better than my attempt my friend.

Still say your the smartest cat on this site. Except for that one little issue.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg