Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Looking into the "Crystal Ball"

I don't want to make this a "draft" thread but I would like to see your feelings on what the Vikinga have to do this off-season to make them a winning team. I'd like to see some "positive" thoughts. No "Fire Childress" or "TJ Sucks" comments please. Let's be professional here. If you were the Vikings "Triangle Of Authority" sitting in a room right now, what would you be suggesting?

I feel right now that we aren't a bad team. We've got some excellent players but some of them maybe have one good year left before they start to go downhill. I think we have to strike fast, while we've still got a good nucleus of players. I know that Chilly wants to draft for the future but I think with one or two good players we can have a really good team next year.

We all know that we need an experienced QB RIGHT NOW! I know several of you want Anderson but if yo saw his play Sunday, you would have seen another TJ. His play right before the half with two interceptions that weren't even close to the receivers would cool you on him right away. I personally think McNabb could be good for this team. He looked great against NO. I know the knock on him is injuries but it looks like he's recovered from this last bad one nicely. He's getting older but I think he's got a couple f good years left in him and I think TJ could lean a lot from him because their styles are very similar. I think one REAL TELLING thing here will be if McNabb wants to come to the Vikes. Childress brags about him being his mentor but if the Vike make and honest try for him and he doesn't come here, that tells me a lot about Childress and his supposed "good" relationship with McNabb. It tells me McNabb has no faith in him.

Another glaring need is a good offensive tackle on the right side of the offensive line. And lastly a good safety. First year draft players can make good offensive line blockers. So I'd go for one here in the draft. Good safeties are a bit harder to come by.

Let's hear your thought on this...
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Looking into the "Crystal Ball"

First, I would stress continuity. We need to keep the personnel we have, unless a better replacement is truly available and their addition would actually improve the team. Personnel should not be sent packing for trivial reasons. For example, Dwight Smith had a marijuana bust. By all accounts this is not deeply harmful to the team. It is the kind of thing that can be dealt with through the NFL's substance abuse program. If we can get a free safety who is notably better than Smith, however, then and only then is Smith expendable.

Second, I would primarily build through the draft. This means tending to keep the players drafted as Vikings. It means not trading draft picks unless there is a very good reason.

Third, foster a greater sense of team loyalty. In this age of free agency, the mercenary mentality can take over. Every little thing that can build loyalty from within to the Vikings is needed.

Fourth, continue the emphasis on character in personnel evaluation. Temper that with the need for instilling loyalty.

Personnel moves

In coaching, keep the ones we have. Childress is not to the level of Joe Gibbs, at least not yet. Except for a bizarre 12 men on the field call, the Vikings were running right there with Joe Gibbs in December. Childress is still not old. He has brought discipline to a young team with a checkered past. He has shown the capacity for growing into the role of head coach who can take on the big boys. Usually a Jimmy Johnson doesn't fall into your lap. You need to develop your head coaches. The next year will be critical for determining Childress's future.

Free agents to sign

Nate Burleson (WR, Sea)

Ron Dayne (RB, Hou) (a true tailback misused in the NFL as a fullback. Childress was his OC at Wisconsin in Dayne's Heisman year)

Marques Douglas (DE, SF) (good at reading pass or run, hungry)

Long shots: Jared Allen, Randy Moss, Roy Williams (the WR)

Mixed feelings: Donovan McNabb (QB, Phl) (McNabb is a better QB than TJack right now, but with our poor WRs and offensive line how much could McNabb really add? Will our pass protection and our WRs really improve that much next year to make a difference? Why risk breaking up TJack's development?)

Draft needs

Tight end
    Wide receiver
    Defensive end
    Defensive back
    Quarterback (6th or 7th round, for long-term future development/insurance purposes)
    Depth at all positions

Trades:

Send a third-round pick to the Dolphins for Jason Taylor (DE). Negotiate and get the deal done.

Cuts

Don't cut any players until training camp. Troy Williamson had a big off-season last time. If he has another big off-season, working on route running, mechanics, coverage reading, and mental focus, Williamson will be a force next year. Otis Grigsby could be one of the answers at defensive end. Erasmus James still has a chance to come back and be really good. Ryan Cook is developing. Ray's suspension was probably just due to a momentary lapse into stupidity by the
    22-year-old, not bad character.

Players that probably need to find new teams: Visanthe Shiancoe (can't catch, can't run routes, fumbles), Kelly Holcomb (getting too old, weak arm)

Go Vikings!

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    First, I would stress continuity. We need to keep the personnel we have, unless a better replacement is truly available and their addition would actually improve the team. Personnel should not be sent packing for trivial reasons. For example, Dwight Smith had a marijuana bust. By all accounts this is not deeply harmful to the team. It is the kind of thing that can be dealt with through the NFL's substance abuse program. If we can get a free safety who is notably better than Smith, however, then and only then is Smith expendable.

Second, I would primarily build through the draft. This means tending to keep the players drafted as Vikings. It means not trading draft picks unless there is a very good reason.

Third, foster a greater sense of team loyalty. In this age of free agency, the mercenary mentality can take over. Every little thing that can build loyalty from within to the Vikings is needed.

Fourth, continue the emphasis on character in personnel evaluation. Temper that with the need for instilling loyalty.

Personnel moves

In coaching, keep the ones we have. Childress is not to the level of Joe Gibbs, at least not yet. Except for a bizarre 12 men on the field call, the Vikings were running right there with Joe Gibbs in December. Childress is still not old. He has brought discipline to a young team with a checkered past. He has shown the capacity for growing into the role of head coach who can take on the big boys. Usually a Jimmy Johnson doesn't fall into your lap. You need to develop your head coaches. The next year will be critical for determining Childress's future.

Free agents to sign

Nate Burleson (WR, Sea)

Ron Dayne (RB, Hou) (a true tailback misused in the NFL as a fullback. Childress was his OC at Wisconsin in Dayne's Heisman year)

Mixed feelings: Donovan McNabb (QB, Phl) (McNabb is a better QB than TJack right now, but with our poor WRs and offensive line how much could McNabb really add? Will our pass protection and our WRs really improve that much next year to make a difference? Why risk breaking up TJack's development?)

Draft needs

Tight end
    Wide receiver
    Defensive end
    Defensive back
    Quarterback (6th or 7th round, for long-term future development/insurance purposes)
    Depth at all positions

Trades:

Send a third-round pick to the Dolphins for Jason Taylor (DE). Negotiate and get the deal done.

Cuts

Don't cut any players until training camp. Troy Williamson had a big off-season last time. If he has another big off-season, working on route running, mechanics, coverage reading, and mental focus, Williamson will be a force next year. Otis Grigsby could be one of the answers at defensive end. Erasmus James still has a chance to come back and be really good. Ryan Cook is developing. Ray's suspension was probably just due to a momentary lapse into stupidity by the

Players that probably need to find new teams: Visanthe Shiancoe (can't catch, can't run routes, fumbles), Kelly Holcomb (getting too old, weak arm)
    Good post. I only have one question regarding the bolded portion of your post. Is the poor play of the WR due to them being poor players or a QB that doesn't see the field and throw accurately to them?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:

Personnel moves

Free agents to sign

Nate Burleson (WR, Sea)

Draft needs

Tight end
    Wide receiver
    Defensive end
    Defensive back
    Depth at all positions

Trades:

Cuts

Good post. I only have one question regarding the bolded portion of your post. Is the poor play of the WR due to them being poor players or a QB that doesn't see the field and throw accurately to them?
    they aare not poor but they are not great they are average at best, which makes it tough on a qb

Thanks josdin00

"tb04512" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:

Personnel moves

Free agents to sign

Nate Burleson (WR, Sea)

Draft needs

Tight end
    Wide receiver
    Defensive end
    Defensive back
    Depth at all positions

Trades:

Cuts

they aare not poor but they are not great they are average at best, which makes it tough on a qb
    You're getting close. They are not great. But a QB that cannot get them the ball makes them look average. I think they are somewhere between average and good.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Who are Mcnabb's current superstar WRs???
    The guy has posted Hall of Fame career numbers wih no one as a WR.
    We need McNabb. Ask yourself, will defenses put the game on McNabb to beat them?
    No. We need to give up a 2nd rounder for him. He will help develop Tjack and make us a super bowl contender.

Add Bob Sanders to the mix and we're looking good in the secondary.

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Thanks.

In Philadelphia, they have a good to great quarterback and average wide receivers. They have above average pass protection. When they had TO, they had one great wide receiver and they went to the Super Bowl.

In Minnesota, we have a quarterback who is not currently playing at a very high level. TJack is in the development phase of his career. I believe that TJack has the potential to be another Steve Young. I stress potential. Other people feel differently, I guess.

In Minnesota, we have wide receivers who are also not playing at a very high level. Ferguson is showing his age. Bobby Wade gets the most out of his non-stellar athletic gifts. TWill has the physical toolkit but has not yet become a big league WR (I think he has the potential to do it). Sidney Rice is still a rookie and of course suffered an injury. Aundrae Allison is a rookie. At tight end, we lost surehanded Jermaine Wiggins. Shiancoe can't catch.

When you combine Minnesota's currently average to sub-par quarterback and receiver play, along with currently spotty pass protection, you have a passing attack that will not measure up to Philadelphia's with McNabb throwing the ball behind good pass protection to OK receivers.

Go Vikings!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

McNabb would be a dramatic improvement over Tarvaris right now...

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

purplepowered is offline Pro-Bowler

You know I agree with the part about
    Mixed feelings: Donovan McNabb (QB, Phl) (McNabb is a better QB than TJack right now, but with our poor WRs and offensive line how much could McNabb really add? Will our pass protection and our WRs really improve that much next year to make a difference? Why risk breaking up TJack's development?
    I like TJack and how he has come along with the little bit of use and not alot of prtection at QB ealry in the year. I dont know that McNabb
    is the answer. Putting coach as offensive cooadinater i dk either. See he wasnt allowed to call the plays at Philly either. Y because i think we have found out y. Cant figureout on the run quick thinking isnt his party i guess. So it seems to me he has a great offense like he says. I agree with him when its used properly its just he cant used it on his own on the quick thinking mode. So how do we fix that. Seriously Guy/gals that seems to be the problem that I see. after half time when he had a chance to see what was going on and time to see what was going on he was able to change it up however too late. Darell Bevell still can do that job. So if we can keep coah from calling the plays totally we can be ok. But i can agree with the needs at
    the WR heavily, I love Rice, I guess i didnt realize that burleson was free agent this year, is he? I would love to have himback with Rice and Burleson lining up i could see our crystal ball developing well.

vikesfargo has alot to say that i truely like...great post man. I am truely inspired it makes me want to cry....you are now hired as coach as the Vikes congrats. lol
    I am THE #1 Sidney Rice #18 Fan ever! Don't Be surprised when this kid IS a superstar! He is humble, smart, tough, talented and has alot of character! Takes alot of pride in his work, team, fans and life. Watch out for this kid! I think he is awesome! Everytime he touches the ball its MAGIC!

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

McNabb first and foremost. Like right now. They need to be thinking about him now and what it would take to get him.

See what it would take to get Fitz. Esp if we had Mcnabb. We will NOT get a good WR till TJ is benched. TJ needs a few more years to mature before he ever plays again. Hed be a good backup. If we cant get Fitz how about Nate? Or Clayton.

Dump all our WRs but Rice if we need to. I like Wade in the slot, Fergie works his ass off. But if we need to make room for good route runners and good hands WR, we will need to cut some.

Get a DE or 2 that actually know what pressure means.

And for the love of god get a CB to play alongside Winfield.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast