Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Looking into 2011, 2012 -- what now Vikings fans?

You guys crack me up. Our team is not that bad. We need an offensive leader. We are a young team and I suspect that we will be competitive for years to come.

We are not rebuilding.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1083918
    You guys crack me up. Our team is not that bad. We need an offensive leader. We are a young team and I suspect that we will be competitive for years to come.

We are not rebuilding.
    I really wouldn't characterize the team as young.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1083925

We are not rebuilding.
    I really wouldn't characterize the team as young.

=Z=
    one of the older teams actually by player age.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

Not much to chose from there! Looks like Orton is our best bet...at least he'd have a couple of shots at Chicago each year. Billy Volek maybe?

What about the UFL...anybody worth a shot there? Garcia? Culpepper?

http://www.fanhouse.com/2010/11/01/ufl-quarterbacks-numbers-across-the-board-are-surprsingly-low/

eeeeewwww...that stinks! :sick:

Pat could be back, Greenway will probably get a deal here (he's a Dakotan after all, and 2nd in the league in tackles!) Rice is more up in the air (pun intended) he's a hell of a player...when healthy! But he's only got one year out of 4 where he's made it through a season uninjured. Maybe, he's not worth what he's going to be asking!?

Yup. Looks like this year won't be anything like last offseason! We got lots of our own FAs to look after, maybe a new coach, hopefully a new QB or two or three...? Exciting, but scary too!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

We are not rebuilding.
    A list of Viking starters over 30.

Brett Favre
    Steve Hutchinson
    Anthony Herrera
    Bryant Mckinnie
    Visanthe Shiancoe
    Pat Williams
    Kevin Williams
    EJ Henderson
    Ben Leber
    Antoine Winfield
    Ryan Longwell

Then you take into account the beating Peterson has teken so far in his career, and that Cedric Griffin has had two torn ACLs, we look extremely old.

And we don't have many holes? Just pass defense, Quarterback, receiver (after Rice bolts), receiver (if Rice stays he'll get hurt), offensive line can't run block or pass block worth a crap, and our run defense has taken a step back.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I suspect you're wrong.

Our OL is not young, McKinnie is getting up there, Hutch is old. The right side is young, but hte right side is also terrible.

Favre is gone, TJ is gone, that's a pretty big gap right there
    Peterson is only 25, he'll be good for a while
    Sauce is old, Dugan's getting there, that's our TE depth.
    Our WR's are young, but also very inconsistent. We'll be getting at least one new one next season, more if Rice leaves.
    DL is old. Pat's old, Kevin's getting up there, Allen is 28 I thinK? No LDE. Robison isn't the answer.
    Leber is old, EJ is old and coming off a massive injury, who knows how many more seasons he has in the tank.
    Winfield is old and regressing, Griffen is coming off two torn ACL's, I'd be surprised if he ever comes bad to 100%. After that our corner depth just sucks. Hopefully Cook will pan out.
    Longwell is getting old, but as a kicker he can last a while if he wants to.

as of May 2010, our average age put us at second oldest in the league, behind the pats
    Age Team
    25.9 Houston Texans
    26.4 Jacksonville Jaguars
    26.6 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    26.6 St. Louis Rams
    26.6 New York Giants
    26.7 Philadelphia Eagles
    26.8 Miami Dolphins
    26.8 Kansas City Chiefs
    26.9 Chicago Bears
    26.9 San Francisco 49ers
    26.9 Carolina Panthers
    26.9 Detroit Lions
    27.0 Cincinnati Bengals
    27.1 San Diego Chargers
    27.2 Tennessee Titans
    27.2 Oakland Raiders
    27.3 Cleveland Browns
    27.3 Green Bay Packers
    27.3 Atlanta Falcons
    27.4 New Orleans Saints
    27.4 Seattle Seahawks
    27.4 Indianapolis Colts
    27.5 Baltimore Ravens
    27.5 Buffalo Bills
    27.6 New York Jets
    27.7 Dallas Cowboys
    28.0 Pittsburgh Steelers
    28.0 Arizona Cardinals
    28.1 Washington Redskins
    28.2 Denver Broncos
    28.3 Minnesota Vikings
    28.7 New England Patriots

The Vikings, the second-oldest team on the list, seem to have a pretty short window. Their average offensive age is significantly dragged “up” by Brett Favre, but with good reason: without Favre, the Vikings go from contender to darkhorse. The left side of the line, anchored by Bryant McKinnie and Steve Hutchinson, started to show (perhaps age-related) declines in 2009, as well.
    I'm trying to find a more recent list.

We are not rebuilding.
    new Coach, new QB, new players next year? Yeah, we are absolutely rebuilding. Deny it all you want, but it will happen. Do you think any new coach will keep Chilly's abortion of an offense?

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

And, as you pointed out, some of our young guys are part of the problem, so the problem is not just one of age.....

We need to rebuild......old AND young.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not in the doom and gloom club. First and foremost they need to clean house on the coaching staff and bring in a top-tier head coach. Belicheat has been doing well consistently with a rash of injuries on his team. Their first SB victory was done with a large number of replacements for all the injured folks.

As much as I hated seeing Mike Tice as the Vikings' HC, he was and is a great o-line coach. The Vikings have some good personnel on the o-line, but, had some crappy coaching. Take that example to any facet of the team, especially whoever the new HC will be. The team needs leadership and needs to build up with what is left over after the nightmare year and whatever happens with the players association in the coming year.

Get a good HC and some leadership....oh yeah, it also wouldn't hurt to get a stadium. I also agree with getting Wilf far from the day-to-day operations of the team. I appreciate his willingness to spend the coin, but, I put his football savvy below some of the members on this site.

It will be an exciting few years watching what transpires. The stadium issue is bigger than ever now though. They need to do something big, like hire a well known HC with a proven track record, in order to get the Vikings back on course with the public perception and their ability to play ball competitively in the short-term.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

Not for nothing...but it seems it'd be easier to replace coaches than to try overhauling entire player units, such as O-line, Secondary, etc...Pat Morris and Jim Hueber...you're on notice.

My suggestion would be to keep the players that have shown the most talent, regardless of their level of output this season, and bring in new COACHES who can help those players reach their potential (or get back to it).

This season has been disastrous, and yes, the players are the ones out on the field, but the COACHES are the ones responsible for maintaining the discipline and focus of said players, and THAT is a fundamental necessity.

Formo is offline Team Alumni

I'm not as worried as some of ya'll are. But I would start with the O-line. That sucker needs to be rebuilt, and bad. Second on the list is make sure we have some DBs. Via draft or free agency, I don't care. Those two, outside of the QB position, are the positions that are hurting the most, IMO.

I don't have an answer for the QB situation. I hope they don't try the T-Jack experience again, but almost as bad, I'm hoping they don't go the route of some other team's backup (a la Frerotte or Bollinger 2.0). I'd love to see us somehow get a top 5-10 talent pick used for a new QB. Who knows.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast