Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Looking Back: 2004 draft

Five years ago, more than enough time to accurately judge a player.
    At this point, we know who was a good pick, who was a bust.
    Lets begin:

Round Pick
    Player

Pos
    School
    1 20(20) Kenechi Udeze

DE Southern Cal
    2 16(48) Dontarrious Thomas OLB Auburn
    3 25(88) Darrion Scott

DE Ohio St.
    4 19(115) Nat Dorsey

OT Georgia Tech
    4 23(119) Mewelde Moore

RB Tulane
    5 23(155) Rod Davis

ILB Southern Miss
    6 19(184) Deandre Eiland

S South Carolina
    7 19(220) Jeff Dugan

TE Maryland

1. Kenechi Udeze:
    This guy came on and started 15 games his rookie year.
    As a Left End, he wasn't a terrific pass rusher, but held his own in run support.
    I have no doubt, that if not for his bout with Leukemia, he would still be our starting LDE.
    Its a shame to see a guys career end the way it did, but that's the tough part of life.
    Was he great? no, but he was a solid contributer. At the end of the day, he's out of the league, and at the risk of sounding uncaring, his grade will reflect that.
    Grade: C+
    Alternates: Steven Jackson, Chris Gamble, Benjamin Watson

2. Dontarrious Thomas:
    Has been a solid depth player for his whole career.
    Made a few starts for us while we were still trying to figure out our linebacker situation.
    As a second round pick though, you'd like to expect a bit more.
    We called him back last year to help fill in for EJ when he was hurt.
    Currently is not on an active roster.
    Grade: C-
    Alternates: Devery Henderson, Madieu Williams, Antwaan Odom, Bernard berrian, Chris Cooley

3. Darrion Scott: Backed up Udeze his rookie year, and filled in for him when he was hurt the following years.
    Had 4 seasons as a Viking, started for two of them.
    He wasn't that good, but not terrible either.
    He was cut 4 games into the 2007 season.
    As a third round pick, you'd like to expect a bit more than 4 seasons out of a player.
    He evidently wasn't for us, and aparantly wasn't for anyone, as he's currently out of the league.
    Grade: D
    Alternatives: matt Shaub, Shaun Phillips, Isaac Sopoaga, Jerricho Cotchery, Nathan Vasher, Will Allen,

4. Nat Dorsey: Lasted 1 season and 7 starts with the Vikings at Right Tackle.
    He was shipped off to cleveland where he played spot duty for the next three years.
    He is currently out of the NFL
    grade: D-
    Alternatives: Stacey Andrews, Jared Allen, Brandon Chillar, Gabril Wilson

5. Mewelde Moore:
    A fan favourite, but not Tice's.
    Fell victim to circumstance in Minnesota with Tice.
    Got sucked into Tice's doghouse for a dropped pass that resulted in a turnover, and took a while to come out.
    Had an issue with minor injuries keeping him out for longer than they should.
    When given a chance, he averaged 4.6 yards a carry as a starter, as a third down back he was averaging 5.7 yards per carry, and was a very versatile back, who was used frequently as a receiving option.
    For a fourth round pick, we got decent value
    Grade: B

6. Rod Wilson:
    Don't remember this guy too much, he played only three seasons in the NFL, his first two were as a Viking, in his third season he spent time in Carolina, then came back to Minnesota for 9 games.
    Made one career start and 41 total tackles.
    Is now out of the NFL.
    Grade: F
    Alternatives: Mike Karney, DJ Hackett, Thomas Tapeh, Shawn Johnson(no, not the gymnast you pedophiles),

7. Deandre' Eiland: To be honest, I had to go back and look up who this guy was.
    Has never stepped foot on an NFL field, and I can't find any information about him, perhaps someone who remembers can share.
    To me thats good enough for a grade of F
    Alternatives:Jim Sorgi, nate Jones, Adimchinobe Echemandu(you might remember him), Shane Olivea, Patrick Crayton

8. Jeff Dugan: The only draft pick who is still a member of the Vikings.
    Has been a decent and versatile backup at both the Tight end and Fullback position.
    Likely won't ever be more than that, but does what is asked of him.
    Started a few games in place of Richardson a few years back and did a decent job.
    Grade: B-
    Alternatives: Derrick Ward

Overall Grade: D-
    Hard to predict our first round pick will get a lifechanging disease, but it is what it is.
    Only one player is still on roster, our 7th round pick.
    That equals pretty bad in my book.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Looking Back: 2004 draft

Why torture me.......... :'(

Worst draft that I can remember.
    I really really had high hopes for what they would do in that draft.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Why torture me.......... :'(

Worst draft that I can remember.
    I really really had high hopes for what they would do in that draft.
    really?
    Worse than the 2005 draft?

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Not bad

In hindsight we coulda had some better players

I wasn't too disapointed with this draft

molineviking is offline Asst. Coach

Moore was a solid contributor, I always thought he was a great example of a don't quit player, Put his head down and initiated contact, And those legs kept going and going, A good receiver as well as you stated.
    Even if the Vikings lose, I can still find happiness in Bears, and Packer losses.

TeamSoftware is offline Rookie

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Five years ago, more than enough time to accurately judge a player.
    At this point, we know who was a good pick, who was a bust.
    Lets begin:

Round Pick
    Player

Pos
    School
    1 20(20) Kenechi Udeze

DE Southern Cal
    2 16(48) Dontarrious Thomas OLB Auburn
    3 25(88) Darrion Scott

DE Ohio St.
    4 19(115) Nat Dorsey

OT Georgia Tech
    4 23(119) Mewelde Moore

RB Tulane
    5 23(155) Rod Davis

ILB Southern Miss
    6 19(184) Deandre Eiland

S South Carolina
    7 19(220) Jeff Dugan

TE Maryland

1. Kenechi Udeze:
    This guy came on and started 15 games his rookie year.
    As a Left End, he wasn't a terrific pass rusher, but held his own in run support.
    I have no doubt, that if not for his bout with Leukemia, he would still be our starting LDE.
    Its a shame to see a guys career end the way it did, but that's the tough part of life.
    Was he great? no, but he was a solid contributer. At the end of the day, he's out of the league, and at the risk of sounding uncaring, his grade will reflect that.
    Grade: C+
    Alternates: Steven Jackson, Chris Gamble, Benjamin Watson

2. Dontarrious Thomas:
    Has been a solid depth player for his whole career.
    Made a few starts for us while we were still trying to figure out our linebacker situation.
    As a second round pick though, you'd like to expect a bit more.
    We called him back last year to help fill in for EJ when he was hurt.
    Currently is not on an active roster.
    Grade: C-
    Alternates: Devery Henderson, [glow=red,2,300]Madieu Williams[/glow], Antwaan Odom, [glow=red,2,300]Bernard berrian[/glow], Chris Cooley

3. Darrion Scott: Backed up Udeze his rookie year, and filled in for him when he was hurt the following years.
    Had 4 seasons as a Viking, started for two of them.
    He wasn't that good, but not terrible either.
    He was cut 4 games into the 2007 season.
    As a third round pick, you'd like to expect a bit more than 4 seasons out of a player.
    He evidently wasn't for us, and aparantly wasn't for anyone, as he's currently out of the league.
    Grade: D
    Alternatives: matt Shaub, Shaun Phillips, Isaac Sopoaga, Jerricho Cotchery, Nathan Vasher, Will Allen,

4. Nat Dorsey: Lasted 1 season and 7 starts with the Vikings at Right Tackle.
    He was shipped off to cleveland where he played spot duty for the next three years.
    He is currently out of the NFL
    grade: D-
    Alternatives: Stacey Andrews, [glow=red,2,300]Jared Allen[/glow], Brandon Chillar, Gabril Wilson

5. Mewelde Moore:
    A fan favourite, but not Tice's.
    Fell victim to circumstance in Minnesota with Tice.
    Got sucked into Tice's doghouse for a dropped pass that resulted in a turnover, and took a while to come out.
    Had an issue with minor injuries keeping him out for longer than they should.
    When given a chance, he averaged 4.6 yards a carry as a starter, as a third down back he was averaging 5.7 yards per carry, and was a very versatile back, who was used frequently as a receiving option.
    For a fourth round pick, we got decent value
    Grade: B

6. Rod Wilson:
    Don't remember this guy too much, he played only three seasons in the NFL, his first two were as a Viking, in his third season he spent time in Carolina, then came back to Minnesota for 9 games.
    Made one career start and 41 total tackles.
    Is now out of the NFL.
    Grade: F
    Alternatives: Mike Karney, DJ Hackett, [glow=red,2,300]Thomas Tapeh[/glow], Shawn Johnson(no, not the gymnast you pedophiles),

7. Deandre' Eiland: To be honest, I had to go back and look up who this guy was.
    Has never stepped foot on an NFL field, and I can't find any information about him, perhaps someone who remembers can share.
    To me thats good enough for a grade of F
    Alternatives:Jim Sorgi, nate Jones, Adimchinobe Echemandu(you might remember him), Shane Olivea, Patrick Crayton

8. Jeff Dugan: The only draft pick who is still a member of the Vikings.
    Has been a decent and versatile backup at both the Tight end and Fullback position.
    Likely won't ever be more than that, but does what is asked of him.
    Started a few games in place of Richardson a few years back and did a decent job.
    Grade: B-
    Alternatives: Derrick Ward

Overall Grade: D-

Hard to predict our first round pick will get a lifechanging disease, but it is what it is.
    Only one player is still on roster, our 7th round pick.
    That equals pretty bad in my book.
    I find it intersting that some of the alternates are now either starting, or played for the Vikings.

Jared Allen
    Bernard berrian
    Madieu Williams

Thomas Tapeh

"molineviking" wrote:

Moore was a solid contributor, I always thought he was a great example of a don't quit player, Put his head down and initiated contact, And those legs kept going and going, A good receiver as well as you stated.
    Ole Memo and why he didn't make it here has been discussed alot on this site.
    From what I gather, he got in the dog house with Tice because of pass protection (right or wrong) and that kindof followed over into the Chiller era (again, right or wrong).

I am glad that he landed on his feet and is having success in Pitt.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "molineviking" wrote:

From what I gather, he got in the dog house with Tice because of pass protection (right or wrong) and that kindof followed over into the Chiller era (again, right or wrong).

I seem to remember a dropped backwards pass being his last play for quite some time.
    The pass was high, he tipped it up and since it was backwards it ws a fumble, picked up by the other team.
    That an his injury issue had him in the doghouse for quite some time.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "molineviking" wrote:

Wasn't just the pass protection angle.
    There was also his inability to stay healthy and questions about his toughness.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "molineviking" wrote:

Wasn't just the pass protection angle.
    There was also his inability to stay healthy and questions about his toughness.

=Z=
    I forgot about his injury woes.
    Silly me, again, that team was so inept that little things like that must have flew under my radar.
    ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast