Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Looking ahead to 2010-2011 season...

Last night was the worst night of my life. I would rather go through all my breakups five more times than this shit again. I'm in Bronco land, at a boarding school, and literally EVERY SINGLE PERSON (except the dean, vikings fan) was rooting against the Vikings just because I talk a lot of trash. Now every single person in school is giving me shit and it's ridiculous. I'm getting crap from COWBOYS FANS. I can't deal with it. So I decided to focus on next year, as this year is over...

What we need to do next year

-DO SOMETHING ABOUT ADRIAN! HE DOESN'T EVEN DESERVE A NICKNAME, FIX HIS FUMBLES!!!!!!
    -Get a new RG, we have a young, talented line, (except for Hutch, who is old, but still amazing) and Hererra is our weak link. I think our o-line will be much better next year
    -Do something about the secondary, its shit
    -Address QB situation, I would love for us to draft Bradford, McCoy, or Clausen if any of them fall to us, and hopefully have Favre back for one year for them to learn from him.
    -Sign Kampman, Edwards had a great game against the Cowboys, and I think 1 sack against the Saints, but we need a DE that can take advantage of the double teams that Allen gets, and Kampman could do just that. Imagine Rodgers running away from allen and kampman, LOL
    -I think we need a KOS, I know theres debate about how its not worth it, but look what happened to percy two weeks in a row, he was all but neutralized by booming kicks into the endzone, and I can't remember the last time Longwell has kicked a Touchback.

Thats all I can think about right now for what we need to improve. If you have anything, or just want to focus on some positives for next season, feel free to share them here. There are lots of threads talking about the game, but it's over, and now we just have to wait. Painfully wait....
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Re:Looking ahead to 2010-2011 season...

It'd be interesting to see how you would find a quality guard, a premier DE and a good project QB.

FA will be very weak. I don't know if you can pick someone up who will replace Herrera. Your best bet would be drafting Iutapi, who's a huge mauler.

That'd leave you without a project QB. I don't see any way that either Clausen or Bradford will fall to the 30th pick in the draft. I think that they'll go off the board a 1 and 4, respectively, right now. Even if they don't, they should still go at 4 and 6, 6 and 7, 7 and 9 etc. McCoy would be a gigantic reach. The only guy I see you picking in the first round right now would be Pike, which would also be quite a reach.

And as for DE... I don't know if Kampman will just walk away in FA. I hope that we'll at least attempt to trade him. Get something done with the Raiders or something. With how high our coaching staff has been on him, though, I might even see him staying here and getting another shot at OLB. Ray Edwards is a product of the rest of your D-line, but would you really want to invest even more money in that DE position?
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler

12purplepride28 wrote:
    Last night was the worst night of my life. I would rather go through all my breakups five more times than this shit again. I'm in Bronco land, at a boarding school, and literally EVERY SINGLE PERSON (except the dean, vikings fan) was rooting against the Vikings just because I talk a lot of trash. Now every single person in school is giving me shit and it's ridiculous. I'm getting crap from COWBOYS FANS. I can't deal with it. So I decided to focus on next year, as this year is over...

What we need to do next year

-DO SOMETHING ABOUT ADRIAN! HE DOESN'T EVEN DESERVE A NICKNAME, FIX HIS FUMBLES!!!!!!
    -Get a new RG, we have a young, talented line, (except for Hutch, who is old, but still amazing) and Hererra is our weak link. I think our o-line will be much better next year
    -Do something about the secondary, its shit
    -Address QB situation, I would love for us to draft Bradford, McCoy, or Clausen if any of them fall to us, and hopefully have Favre back for one year for them to learn from him.
    -Sign Kampman, Edwards had a great game against the Cowboys, and I think 1 sack against the Saints, but we need a DE that can take advantage of the double teams that Allen gets, and Kampman could do just that. Imagine Rodgers running away from allen and kampman, LOL
    -I think we need a KOS, I know theres debate about how its not worth it, but look what happened to percy two weeks in a row, he was all but neutralized by booming kicks into the endzone, and I can't remember the last time Longwell has kicked a Touchback.

Thats all I can think about right now for what we need to improve. If you have anything, or just want to focus on some positives for next season, feel free to share them here. There are lots of threads talking about the game, but it's over, and now we just have to wait. Painfully wait....
    +1

Our kick coverage stinks. You can't give teams like the saints a short field
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

There's no sense in drafting good linemen if we're going to continue to zone block.

There's a reason it looks like Peterson is running into a wall of humanity every time we go up the middle... he is. We have 5 huge offensive linemen. The only one built for the zone blocking scheme is Sullivan. The line is supposed to be "small" and athletic for zone blocking.

Peterson made it look good in 2007 and 2008, but this year it fell apart.

Compare our line position by position against the Jets. We're better across the board except for center. Now our running backs. No questions there. But which team dominates the line of scrimmage every week? The Jets. They don't play pussy finesse Childress-ball.

Lose zone blocking, lose the zone defense.

We need a bigger corner to play opposite of Griffin, a guy with cover skills, which Sapp has, but he's tiny. And we need a DT to replace Pat Williams, who is still playing admirably, but he's 37 years old. I'd like to see those two positions filled in the top rounds of the draft.

If we can get a second reliable corner and start playing man all over the field we'll actually be able to blitz, without giving up huge gaps in the middle of the field. We'd take pressure off the front 4, imagine, a team blocking 5 with 5, or 5 with 6, instead of 4 with 5 or 6 every down. Bye-bye double teams on Allen all game. B gap blitzes between Allen and Williams with Greenway... wet dream.

We have the athleticism at LB to cover tight-ends, the speed at safety to run with WRs, the best defensive line against the run and the pass in the NFL, and the physicality at corner(at least with Griffin) to disrupt at the LOS. There is absolutely no reason we should be running the Tampa 2.

We're loaded with talent, and by no means have to re-stock in the off season. A few scheme changes puts us over the top IMO.

The Minnesota Vikings are the most talented team in the National Football League, without rival. I'm looking forward to 2010, no matter who our QB is.

Edit: Oh yea, practice ball-security too. Make everyone carry one all off-season, and put a memo to the fans to try and punch it out whenever they see them.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Mr Anderson wrote:
    There's no sense in drafting good linemen if we're going to continue to zone block.

There's a reason it looks like Peterson is running into a wall of humanity every time we go up the middle... he is. We have 5 huge offensive linemen. The only one built for the zone blocking scheme is Sullivan. The line is supposed to be "small" and athletic for zone blocking.

Compare our line position by position against the Jets. We're better across the board except for center. Now our running backs. No questions there. But which team dominates the line of scrimmage every week? The Jets. They don't play pussy finesse Childress-ball.

We need a bigger corner to play opposite of Griffin, a guy with cover skills, which Sapp has, but he's tiny. And we need a DT to replace Pat Williams, who is still playing admirably, but he's 37 years old. I'd like to see those two positions filled in the top rounds of the draft.

If we can get a second reliable corner and start playing man all over the field we'll actually be able to blitz, without giving up huge gaps in the middle of the field. We'd take pressure off the front 4, imagine, a team blocking 5 with 5, or 5 with 6, instead of 4 with 5 or 6 every down. Bye-bye double teams on Allen all game. B gap blitzes between Allen and Williams with Greenway... wet dream.

We have the athleticism at LB to cover tight-ends, the speed at safety to run with WRs, the best defensive line against the run and the pass in the NFL, and the physicality at corner(at least with Griffin) to disrupt at the LOS. There is absolutely no reason we should be running the Tampa 2.

We're loaded with talent, and by no means have to re-stock in the off season. A few scheme changes puts us over the top IMO.

The Minnesota Vikings are the most talented team in the National Football League, without rival. I'm looking forward to 2010, no matter who our QB is.

Edit: Oh yea, practice ball-security too. Make everyone carry one all off-season, and put a memo to the fans to try and punch it out whenever they see them.
    In summation, we need a new coach.

Seriously though, if he can't win with the talent he had this year... when do you expect him to win?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

C Mac D wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

In summation, we need a new coach.

Seriously though, if he can't win with the talent he had this year... when do you expect him to win?
    I don't, you know that.

But we won't fire Childress, so all I can hope for is him coming to his senses and using the talent we have to dominate games.

vikings305 is offline Waterboy

Somewhere (I believe NFL.com) I read some "draft expert" having Cody being drafted by the Vikings. At the time it seemed great, a young big guy to replace Pat Williams. After yesterday's game I don't even know anymore. Definitely we need help in the secondary, and now, it seems we are in need of OL that can actually protect the QB. What do you guys think of linebackers as well? Leber's not eternal and is still unknown what will happen with Henderson. Also counting on Berrian returning to his former self.....and acquiring glue for Peterson in the free agent market
    None

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Althougth I never played football or have never been more than just a fan of the game, I think there are relatively few tweaks that need to made to this team in order to take the next step. Firstly, we need to know if Farve is coming back. He will probably contemplate it longer than most of us can handle and I'm not sure how long the Vikings can sit on their thumbs waiting to see if he is or not. I sure hope he comes back though. He was everything that was advertised and in one season he almost made me forget that he played for the Packers and ripped my heart out yearly.

If Farve doesn't come back, I don't see any FA QBs that would be significantly better than what we've got already. And I think it would take too much to trade for a top tier QB as we need our draft picks to help solidify some of the positions where age is becoming a factor. I could see us maybe drafting a QB but would have my doubts on them being able to compliment a super bowl caliber team and finish the task. Between Sage and T-Jack, I don't know who I would have more faith in but sure hope they picked up a lot of knowledge Farve seemed to be giving them on the sideline.

The positions that have me most worried are MLB and guards. Our production was still pretty good at MLB even after Henderson went down. He's still a toss up to be able to play next year and who knows at what level he'll be able to play at. Brinkley had some brilliant moments and some boneheaded ones, but I think he has a future for us. Again I have no idea who would be available for this position via trade, FA or draft. I know little to nothing about offensive line play, but in my eyes our guards seemed to be the weak link. Hutch is getting older and his back bothered him the entire season. I think he'll bounce back strong next, at least hope he does. Herrera seemed to be the weakest link of our starting o-line. Just a reminder... I know little to nothing about how a offensive line operates so this may be all wrong.

I'm excited to see how our young players continue to develop next season. I'm also excited that our coaching staff is going to be intact next season since Frazier is coming back next season, can't remember the last time we held on to a good defensive cooridnator for 2 years. Our defense showed it can be dominate against the pass and run. We finally saw the 'kick ass offense' Childress promised us, hopefully it wasn't all Farve that happened either. Tough way to end the season and the sour taste will remain until we line up again, but as always we'll forge on. These are my two cents.

Thanks Josdin

vikings305 is offline Waterboy

I think Favre'll decide before the draft. He "owes" this team at least that much. In GB they already had their QB of the future so he could take his time...here's different. This team's direction in the offseason highly depends on his decision
    None

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

mnvikes61 wrote:
    Althougth I never played football or have never been more than just a fan of the game, I think there are relatively few tweaks that need to made to this team in order to take the next step. Firstly, we need to know if Farve is coming back. He will probably contemplate it longer than most of us can handle and I'm not sure how long the Vikings can sit on their thumbs waiting to see if he is or not. I sure hope he comes back though. He was everything that was advertised and in one season he almost made me forget that he played for the Packers and ripped my heart out yearly.

If Farve doesn't come back, I don't see any FA QBs that would be significantly better than what we've got already. And I think it would take too much to trade for a top tier QB as we need our draft picks to help solidify some of the positions where age is becoming a factor. I could see us maybe drafting a QB but would have my doubts on them being able to compliment a super bowl caliber team and finish the task. Between Sage and T-Jack, I don't know who I would have more faith in but sure hope they picked up a lot of knowledge Farve seemed to be giving them on the sideline.

The positions that have me most worried are MLB and guards. Our production was still pretty good at MLB even after Henderson went down. He's still a toss up to be able to play next year and who knows at what level he'll be able to play at. Brinkley had some brilliant moments and some boneheaded ones, but I think he has a future for us. Again I have no idea who would be available for this position via trade, FA or draft. I know little to nothing about offensive line play, but in my eyes our guards seemed to be the weak link. Hutch is getting older and his back bothered him the entire season. I think he'll bounce back strong next, at least hope he does. Herrera seemed to be the weakest link of our starting o-line. Just a reminder... I know little to nothing about how a offensive line operates so this may be all wrong.

I'm excited to see how our young players continue to develop next season. I'm also excited that our coaching staff is going to be intact next season since Frazier is coming back next season, can't remember the last time we held on to a good defensive cooridnator for 2 years. Our defense showed it can be dominate against the pass and run. We finally saw the 'kick ass offense' Childress promised us, hopefully it wasn't all Farve that happened either. Tough way to end the season and the sour taste will remain until we line up again, but as always we'll forge on. These are my two cents.
    our team will live or die by the play of our QB--Favre or other. We saw that this year. Good QB, with this talented team = run for playoffs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast