jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re:A look at Peterson's production

Marrdro wrote:
    Play calling.....
    Sore shoulder on Hutch......
    2nd year C.......
    Rookie RT........
    Tahi Sucks.......

AD crotchsniffers might want to ignore this next part of my post......

All of the above had a role in our OL's poor play last year, but AD didn't help any either. If he would learn to be just a bit more patient before he makes his first cut, I bet alot of those "Zero" gains would get yards.

We saw it time and time again last year were AD would get stoned at the line for no loss and CT would come right in on the next play and get huge yards.

OK, AD crotsniffers, I'm done hacking on your boy.
    Peterson makes his decision so fast that sometimes the hole hasn't developed yet. He takes a quick look, if the hole isn't there he abandons it and freelances.
    It's great when he busts a big one, but it's frustrating when he is repeatedly stifled.

I agree, he may do better if he were more patient.

On the other hand I would say alot of those "Zero" gains would get yards if the line would open more holes.
    Many times there were no holes to run through last year.

I'm not as impressed with Sullivan as many here., I thought Herrera had a lousy year,and I can't figure out why MckKinney can't finish his blocks.

Line play needs to improve.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Play calling.....
    2nd year C.......
    Rookie RT........
    Tahi Sucks.......

All of the above had a role in our OL's poor play last year, but AD didn't help any either. If he would learn to be just a bit more patient before he makes his first cut, I bet alot of those "Zero" gains would get yards.

We saw it time and time again last year were AD would get stoned at the line for no loss and CT would come right in on the next play and get huge yards.

Peterson makes his decision so fast that sometimes the hole hasn't developed yet. He takes a quick look, if the hole isn't there he abandons it and freelances.
    It's great when he busts a big one, but it's frustrating when he is repeatedly stifled.

On the other hand I would say alot of those "Zero" gains would get yards if the line would open more holes.

I'm not as impressed with Sullivan as many here., I thought Herrera had a lousy year,and I can't figure out why MckKinney can't finish his blocks.

I agree. I didn't think Sullivan was very good at all. He wasn't awful, and I'd be willing to give him a second shot, but its a tossup between him and Herrerra as the worst starting Lineman on our team.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Play calling.....
    2nd year C.......
    Rookie RT........
    Tahi Sucks.......

I agree. I didn't think Sullivan was very good at all. He wasn't awful, and I'd be willing to give him a second shot, but its a tossup between him and Herrerra as the worst starting Lineman on our team.
    I'll even go a step further. I felt Birk played better the year before than Sullivan.
    I know Marrdro harps on him for 3 times when he didn't pick up the delayed blitz up the middle, twice in one game.
    But I felt that blitzer was the resonsibility of the running back, Peterson.

So I didn't see it quite the same as Marrdro. But I do agree Birk got manhandled and pushed around a fair share, but so did Sullivan.

I think Sullivan will improve.

I'm happy with Loadholdt. I blame Herreras play on Herrera and not being between two rookies.

And McKinnie seems to have the potential to be great.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

jargomcfargo wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Play calling.....
    2nd year C.......
    Rookie RT........
    Tahi Sucks.......

I'll even go a step further. I felt Birk played better the year before than Sullivan.
    I know Marrdro harps on him for 3 times when he didn't pick up the delayed blitz up the middle, twice in one game.
    But I felt that blitzer was the resonsibility of the running back, Peterson.

So I didn't see it quite the same as Marrdro. But I do agree Birk got manhandled and pushed around a fair share, but so did Sullivan.

I think Sullivan will improve.

I'm happy with Loadholdt. I blame Herreras play on Herrera and not being between two rookies.

And McKinnie seems to have the potential to be great.
    Sullivan just seems to lack the strength to hold up against the bigger NT's and DT's. I mean the guy has a 32" inseam, small legs, relatively small frame, he doesn't generate as much power as a guy like Birk does.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Play calling.....
    2nd year C.......
    Rookie RT........
    Tahi Sucks.......

interesting thoughts.

I'm curious as to why CT had a higher percentages of runs for a loss than Peterson did though...

Lots of the time, there's simply nothing there.
    That was either Favre and/or Childress's fault

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Play calling.....
    2nd year C.......
    Rookie RT........
    Tahi Sucks.......

Some very good points there, and I would tend to agree AD needs to be a little more patient as the ZBS is not going away. Also, I recall at one point last season Herrera calling out AD for leaving a lot of yards on the field.

But Chester also had a high percentage of runs with 0 or negative yards. This leads me to believe it has more to do with the O-line than the runners...however, I am not discounting the fact that Sullivan was in his first year making the calls...he has to really step up this year. And this line has to gel more as a unit...which tends to happen the more a group plays together.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Play calling.....
    2nd year C.......
    Rookie RT........
    Tahi Sucks.......

I don't think Taylor gaining yards after a Peterson no-gain has anything to due with his patience or vision.

I think that's simply the defense keying on the pass when Taylor comes in the game and keying on the run when Peterson is in the game. It's the tipping of our hand to pass or run and our offense and poor line play that's to blame.

The predictability isn't as bad as it was in the past. Shockingly, giving a QB the ability to make adjustments at the line can get an offense out of some bad situations.

I'm pumped for next season. Barring injury(knock on wood)I can't imagine our line play not improving.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Play calling.....
    2nd year C.......
    Rookie RT........
    Tahi Sucks.......

Might the fact that Peterson is a known running commodity and Taylor a known Receiving threat factor in as well?

My point is that when Peterson is in the backfield, Defenses KNOW he's going to run. With Chester, he came in in passing situations...defenses don't play as run heavy versus Chester...therefore a similar play against a different defensive scheme would result in a better result.

I'm not saying this ALWAYS happened...I'm just saying that this is a "Contributing factor"...

Caine

soonerbornNbred is offline Pro-Bowler

I would like to address AD and zoneblocking everyone enjoys talking about...first off everyone says AD needs to wait on his blocking...At OU he had the same problem "initially" because he hits lines so quick...but instead of saying Adrian be patient... they moved him 2 yards deeper in the backfield that year...he ripped off crazy numbers and he was 2nd in the heisman running having a great year, that little 2 yards allowed the Oline to make up for his quickness( instead of saying he lacks patients its more that the line doesn't compensate for his quickness)...Hes a great talent like Jim Brown Barry Sanders....dont tell a talent of these sorts how to run .....The coaches need to shape the running game to utilize his abilities Dont try to force a square peg into a round hole and you might come out with something better than you know

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

soonerbornNbred wrote:
    I would like to address AD and zoneblocking everyone enjoys talking about...first off everyone says AD needs to wait on his blocking...At OU he had the same problem "initially" because he hits lines so quick...but instead of saying Adrian be patient... they moved him 2 yards deeper in the backfield that year...he ripped off crazy numbers and he was 2nd in the heisman running having a great year, that little 2 yards allowed the Oline to make up for his quickness( instead of saying he lacks patients its more that the line doesn't compensate for his quickness)...Hes a great talent like Jim Brown Barry Sanders....dont tell a talent of these sorts how to run .....The coaches need to shape the running game to utilize his abilities Dont try to force a square peg into a round hole and you might come out with something better than you know
    The only issue with that is
    1) We are already doing it. Take a look at games and AD is atleast 8 yards off the ball.

2) Defenses tend to things like this on film.
    6 yard splints...pass
    9 yard splints run

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast