Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

A look at Peterson's production

According to ProFootballFocus, Peterson had 87 rushing attempts (out of 365 in the regular season and playoffs) on which he gained no yards or lost yardage. That meant 23.8 percent of the time Peterson had these types of runs, the ninth most (or worst) in the NFL.

Interestingly, the player who had the fourth-most carries for no yards or a loss of yards was Peterson's backup, former Viking Chester Taylor. Taylor gained no yards or lost yards on 26.2 percent of his attempts. ProFootballFocus has Taylor with 27 such carries on 103 carries.

Our runners aren't patient enough, or our O-line isn't doing the job?
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: A look at Peterson's production

Two guys, one productive veteran, and one brilliant young player having the same problem... sounds like the offensive line to me.

When those kind of runs start to happen early in the season, they'll happen all season, as guys don't wanna wait around for blocks they don't think will be there.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re:A look at Peterson's production

VikingMike wrote:

According to ProFootballFocus, Peterson had 87 rushing attempts (out of 365 in the regular season and playoffs) on which he gained no yards or lost yardage. That meant 23.8 percent of the time Peterson had these types of runs, the ninth most (or worst) in the NFL.

Interestingly, the player who had the fourth-most carries for no yards or a loss of yards was Peterson's backup, former Viking Chester Taylor. Taylor gained no yards or lost yards on 26.2 percent of his attempts. ProFootballFocus has Taylor with 27 such carries on 103 carries.

Last year, I would say it was the latter. Add to that, that opposing teams still play us as a run first team, even though we showed an effective passing game. I tribute that to AD and the respect he gets. It doesn't show in his stats, but it is very real.

I don't expect that to change next year even with Favre, especially with the Toby pick. Hopefully the line can do a better job of creating some seams. Addition of Toby should help soften up the defenses.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

tastywaves wrote:
    VikingMike wrote:

Last year, I would say it was the latter. Add to that, that opposing teams still play us as a run first team, even though we showed an effective passing game. I tribute that to AD and the respect he gets. It doesn't show in his stats, but it is very real.

I don't expect that to change next year even with Favre, especially with the Toby pick. Hopefully the line can do a better job of creating some seams. Addition of Toby should help soften up the defenses.
    I agree that this is more of a line problem than anything else. The line really wasn't spectacular last season in run blocking, and they were a bit worse in pass protection.

Also, I think it goes to the predictability of our play calling. People KNOW we're going to run - a LOT. Even if it's not really working well, they keep calling it, waiting for that "Break Out" play.

And, finally, it's the fact that many of the runs called are right in the teeth of the Defense. Initially, the Defense can stop these - hence the high number of "non-productive" plays. But over time, they get tired of being assaulted, and wear down - or so the theory goes.

Caine

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Caine wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    VikingMike wrote:

I agree that this is more of a line problem than anything else. The line really wasn't spectacular last season in run blocking, and they were a bit worse in pass protection.

Also, I think it goes to the predictability of our play calling. People KNOW we're going to run - a LOT. Even if it's not really working well, they keep calling it, waiting for that "Break Out" play.

And, finally, it's the fact that many of the runs called are right in the teeth of the Defense. Initially, the Defense can stop these - hence the high number of "non-productive" plays. But over time, they get tired of being assaulted, and wear down - or so the theory goes.

Caine
    I'm not going to make excuses for the less than stellar play of the Oline last year, but what were you expecting? It's only logical that a 6th round draft pick 2nd year center, replacing a pro-bowler, and a rookie right tackle would impact performance. Also, Oline is about chemistry which they obviously struggled with at times. I'm expecting much better play given a year's experience and added chemistry. I will be disappointed if I don't.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

gagarr wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    VikingMike wrote:

Caine
    I'm not going to make excuses for the less than stellar play of the Oline last year, but what were you expecting? It's only logical that a 6th round draft pick 2nd year center, replacing a pro-bowler, and a rookie right tackle would impact performance. Also, Oline is about chemistry which they obviously struggled with at times. I'm expecting much better play given a year's experience and added chemistry. I will be disappointed if I don't.
    I absolutely agree - I thought that Loadholt and Sullivan showed great promise. The trouble is, the line as a whole under performed. And, IMO McKinnie was a large part of that (How he made the Pro Bowl I'll never know).

I too expect the line to be better this year...and if that happens, I expect Peterson's numbers to go up.

Caine

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Caine wrote:
    gagarr wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    VikingMike wrote:

Caine
    I absolutely agree - I thought that Loadholt and Sullivan showed great promise. The trouble is, the line as a whole under performed. And, IMO McKinnie was a large part of that (How he made the Pro Bowl I'll never know).

I too expect the line to be better this year...and if that happens, I expect Peterson's numbers to go up.

Caine
    McKinney didn't make the Pro Bowl.. He was wrongly voted in. Hell, he didn't even make a PRACTICE for the Pro Bowl.

But otherwise, I agree 100% with you guys.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Caine wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    VikingMike wrote:

Caine
    I think we ranked 28th back in 2007 for ratio of "stuffs against" as well. So, predictability probably plays a big role.

Also, Peterson was very hard on himself for a lot of these plays.

I doubt we see significant improvement here next year unless
    Chilly takes full advantage of his skill players and opens up the play calling more.

I don't think it's a big deal really. Most of these plays are limited 1 yard loses or something close to that. AP is not getting blown-up consistently 3 and 4 yards deep in the backfield.

Our play calling is so conservative ,even the runs for a loss are for limited yardage But, thats also part of a well executed WCO.
    None

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Play calling.....
    Sore shoulder on Hutch......
    2nd year C.......
    Rookie RT........
    Tahi Sucks.......

AD crotchsniffers might want to ignore this next part of my post......

All of the above had a role in our OL's poor play last year, but AD didn't help any either. If he would learn to be just a bit more patient before he makes his first cut, I bet alot of those "Zero" gains would get yards.

We saw it time and time again last year were AD would get stoned at the line for no loss and CT would come right in on the next play and get huge yards.

OK, AD crotsniffers, I'm done hacking on your boy.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    Play calling.....
    Sore shoulder on Hutch......
    2nd year C.......
    Rookie RT........
    Tahi Sucks.......

AD crotchsniffers might want to ignore this next part of my post......

All of the above had a role in our OL's poor play last year, but AD didn't help any either. If he would learn to be just a bit more patient before he makes his first cut, I bet alot of those "Zero" gains would get yards.

We saw it time and time again last year were AD would get stoned at the line for no loss and CT would come right in on the next play and get huge yards.

OK, AD crotsniffers, I'm done hacking on your boy.

interesting thoughts.

I'm curious as to why CT had a higher percentages of runs for a loss than Peterson did though...

Lots of the time, there's simply nothing there.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast