Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Longwell cut?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    We've been in rebuilding mode for 6+ years. You don't have to begin with a QB to be considered rebuilding.
    A team is always rebuilding my friend. Why oh why would you think otherwise.

What we are though is a team that is rebuilding based on change because we can't seem to stick with a staff long becuase of yutz fans who get pissed at them from year to year.

Until we figure out that consistency on the field will come from consistency at the top, we will always be rebuilding based on scheme change instead of rebuilding to replace old aging vets that aren't producing anymore.

By the way, even though we shitcanned a coach a couple of years ago, I don't think we are to far off track. There is alot of talent on this team to be developed.

Question is, do we have the staff to develop them, or will we see yet another change at the end of the year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AngloVike View Post
    Well it was likely to happen once we drafted Blair but at least the Vikes have allowed Longwell plenty of time to be picked up elsewhere which was good.
    I liked him as a kicker and he has made pressure kicks when needed so can't rag on him for that. It may be a little painful at times as Blair grows but least this will allow him to concentrate fully on his job and not second guessing as to whether he was going to get cut.

Still I'm sure the first time he misses a FG or has a poor KO then they will be a 'Bring back Longwell' thread - anyone want to put their name forward to guarantee their place as starter of that thread, as you know there are people out there who as desperate to do so
    It will be interesting to see if Longwell does in fact wind up someplace.

Truth be told, he wasn't making that much so he wasn't cut because of cost. He was let go because of poor on field performance and last year that included what most of you said was his strong point....putting points on the board.

In the end, he might wind up on a team, but it will be a team that is indoors that lost its primary kicker. No way he is brought on and beats someone out.

Again, last year is the proof in that.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

He did make a lot of his kicks in his junior year. Sounds like you're familiar with him.

1. What was his percentage outside the 40 his junior year?

2. What was his percentage outside the 40 his senior year?

3. What happened his senior year that made him so much worse?
    Go look at the ones he missed. Hell even Shortwell couldn't make those. Hell, the team wouldn't have even run ole Shortwell out to try.

I guess that helps when you compare percentages doesn't it. Teams are forced to go for it on 4th downs cause they don't trust their kicker. LOL.

In the end, this says it all....

Last season, however, Longwell missed six of his 28 field-goal attempts. That 78.6 percent accuracy marked only the third time in his career and first with the Vikings he was below 80 percent. Longwell also only produced touchbacks on 19 of 77 kickoffs, even with the kicks moved forward 5 yards.
    On Friday, Frazier said the team drafted a kicker "for a reason" and admitted he was looking forward to seeing Walsh perform. Apparently, the standout rookie showed enough over the weekend to make Longwell expendable.
    Vikings cut Longwell for another surprise | StarTribune.com

Long story short, the kid is 100% on PAT's, and can make kicks from 60 yards and has a pretty damn good record inside the normal ranges that we saw shortwell missing from last year.

Call me silly, but I'm willing to give the kid a chance with a Pro coach and see how much he will improve at the next level ......BECAUSE...........

All of them do my friend. Again, as I asked in a previous thread. You want to compare them, compare Shortwells college career vs Blairs and then get back to me. Trying to compare him now is kindof silly.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    LOL, love your enthusiasm Marty.

Honestly, I am OK with this. I was never hot or cold on Longwell. He wasn't as bad as our friend makes him out to be , but he was no longer one of the best either. And his kickoffs have been painful for a long time.

I think this kid will be fine, and if he can put the ball into the endzone on kickoffs... even better.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    LOL, love your enthusiasm Marty.

Honestly, I am OK with this. I was never hot or cold on Longwell. He wasn't as bad as our friend makes him out to be , but he was no longer one of the best either. And his kickoffs have been painful for a long time.

I think this kid will be fine, and if he can put the ball into the endzone on kickoffs... even better.
    I remember when I first joined you called me the PPO Cheerleader and a guy would should be a car salesman........snicker.....your still cracking me up my friend.

I listened to Tim and Pat talk about the yards he will save the team just on KO'ffs and the impact that alone will have.

Mix in the rationale that we won't have to worry about running the Kicker out there when the offense didn't quite get it close enough and you will see this kid have a impact right away.

Not saying he won't mess up, but danged if he didn't make our team better the minute he was drafted and trust me, he wouldn't have been on the board much longer.

Lets not forget how the draft unfolded, and how that drove this pick. The Rams did pick Zurlien (sp) a few picks before this one and by all accounts the Vikes were planning on picking one of them.

Again, some will laugh about the GM using a pick on a K, but it does happen. Not sure why most think its stupid.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    He did make a lot of his kicks in his junior year. Sounds like you're familiar with him.

1. What was his percentage outside the 40 his junior year?

2. What was his percentage outside the 40 his senior year?

3. What happened his senior year that made him so much worse?
    I am a fan of Georgia, so ive watches many of his games and kicks.

I don't know about the stats, but he was banging in long field goals all the time.. Georgia relied on him many times, he was a beast..

No one really knows what happened to him, there was rumours that he was dumped by a long time girlfriend or suddenly became much more interested in his band and spend to much time on that and not football, but nothing has been confirmed and he has never publicly stated what happened..

While i was writing this, i found his stats for his college career.. in 09 he was 9 for 9 on 40-49 and 4 for 5 from 50+, in 2010 he was 4 for 6 from 40-40 and 2 for 2 from 50+..

He is the all-time leading SEC scorer.

Link for stats:
    Blair Walsh Stats - Georgia - ESPN

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    On the back of a down season, age and the fact we saved some cap, im happy with this move.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

I guess that helps when you compare percentages doesn't it. Teams are forced to go for it on 4th downs cause they don't trust their kicker. LOL.
    This is when stats get in the way at times. If you have a kid with good stats then people will say " can he handle the pressure in the pros? " If he has worse stats than the incumbent vet then that's used a stick to beat him.

A lot say that this year is unlikely to be a winning year, Ponder sucks, Frazier sucks, too much youth etc .. then an ideal season to bring a rookie kicker and let him learn and take his lumps.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Well marr, I guess Spielman is making up to you for not drafting your war pig by cutting Longwell. Probably afraid of ending up on the wrong spreadsheet.

I know you have wanted him gone for quite a while, and I have disagreed with you. I no longer have a problem with it. He missed too many last year. His accuracy, and clutch kicking were what allowed me to let the short kickoffs go, but sadly , those days seem past. I have enjoyed his time with the team, and he was here long enough that I did not consider him a Puker anymore. I hope he hooks on somewhere and gets to go out on his own terms. Thanks Ryan
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Call me silly, but I'm willing to give the kid a chance with a Pro coach and see how much he will improve at the next level
    Yeah, but where are we gonna get a pro coach?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast