Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Longwell cut?

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Wow, I can't say I expected this. He's been one of the top kickers in the NFL since he came here. He wasn't great last year though and we might as well train in a new kicker while we're bad.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    No problem with it here. I like him a lot and he's been a great kicker for us, but we are in a rebuilding mode. If we were a contender then I would disagree with this move but we need to start preparing for our next kicker, be it Blair Walsh or someone we get next year. I won't miss reading Shortwell, that's for sure.
    We've been in rebuilding mode for 6+ years. You don't have to begin with a QB to be considered rebuilding.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Imagine that. Our GM is the suspect for a player release.
    I guess you missed the gist of it.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    I have faith in Blair.. I know what he can do.. He was the best kicker the nation his junior year, he is not a fluke or anything, the kid can boot it and i think he will get past of his bad tedencies from his senior year..

Longwell gone.. my take is that the more Packer legends we have on the Vikings roster, the more sad it is, so this is one less and it gets a thumbs up from me.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    I have faith in Blair.. I know what he can do.. He was the best kicker the nation his junior year, he is not a fluke or anything, the kid can boot it and i think he will get past of his bad tedencies from his senior year..

Longwell gone.. my take is that the more Packer legends we have on the Vikings roster, the more sad it is, so this is one less and it gets a thumbs up from me.
    Well it was likely to happen once we drafted Blair but at least the Vikes have allowed Longwell plenty of time to be picked up elsewhere which was good.
    I liked him as a kicker and he has made pressure kicks when needed so can't rag on him for that. It may be a little painful at times as Blair grows but least this will allow him to concentrate fully on his job and not second guessing as to whether he was going to get cut.

Still I'm sure the first time he misses a FG or has a poor KO then they will be a 'Bring back Longwell' thread - anyone want to put their name forward to guarantee their place as starter of that thread, as you know there are people out there who as desperate to do so
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Quote Originally Posted by AngloVike View Post

Still I'm sure the first time he misses a FG or has a poor KO then they will be a 'Bring back Longwell' thread - anyone want to put their name forward to guarantee their place as starter of that thread, as you know there are people out there who as desperate to do so
    Well, we can rule out Marrdro.

Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post

He did make a lot of his kicks in his junior year. Sounds like you're familiar with him.

1. What was his percentage outside the 40 his junior year?

2. What was his percentage outside the 40 his senior year?

3. What happened his senior year that made him so much worse?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimal93 View Post
    One thing I know...Marrdro is happy as a warpig in slop. "Shortwell" is gone. wow, didnt see that one coming. Not this soon.
    .........snicker.........snicker........snicker... .....

Truth be told, I did see it coming, I've seen it coming for atleast 3 years. Like some moves, the team just took longer than they should have to execute (pun intended) to execute the plan I would have made long long ago.

In the end, this is about building a young team that will mature (and make mistakes) together as they grow into their NFL careers.

Will we the fans struggle a bit accepting whats going on? Sure, but in the end, this team will be better and I don't think its going to take much more than this season to realize this.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

No problem with it here. I like him a lot and he's been a great kicker for us, but we are in a rebuilding mode. If we were a contender then I would disagree with this move but we need to start preparing for our next kicker, be it Blair Walsh or someone we get next year. I won't miss reading Shortwell, that's for sure.
    For some reason I didn't have you on the "Someone with a clue" spreadsheet. Consider that error corrected my friend.

Excellent post.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Imagine that. Our GM is the suspect for a player release.
    Not picking on you Purp as I think I see a bit of sarcasim in there....But, I wonder why, all of a sudden, the coaching staff has nothing to do with decisions like this.

Are we now saying that Spielman is going to be the fall guy for failures this year?

Truth be told, this team is a very talented team right now. A heck of alot more talented than it was last year for sure.

Most won't agree with that because they will just look and see "Longwell" vs "Blair". One, a name they recognize, the other they don't. So sad to see fans of that nature.

Look, Longwell couldn't kickoff anymore and he was missing FG's. That was last year. The leg is one year older and the errors will just increase this year. Its the nature of the beast as old players get older.

Will the kid make mistakes? Sure, but in the end, if you look at the Touch Backs he will put up this year, and mix that with the yards we will save, it will be a wash if he misses a FG or two for cripes sake.

By the way, if you look at the ones he missed last year, you will see that even shortwell couldn't get those threw because of the leg. At least this kid has the leg to try a long one. That might make the difference in a win or two this year if the offense has a chance at the end of the game and doesn't quite get it close enough.

A situation we will probably see a few times my friend.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast