Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

London calling for the Vikings

Vikings are the “top candidate” to host games in Wembley Stadium over the next four seasons.“We’ve expressed an interest, and there’s a process the league is following,” team V.P. of public affairs and stadium development Lester Bagley said. “We’ll see how it shakes out.”
    LINK

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    If you want to watch an American sport in person, come to America & watch it.

IMO, it's not fair to Vikings fans who enjoy watching the Vikings play to possibly lose one of our home games. Yes I'm aware that quite possibly it could be an "away" game for both teams.

I'm also aware that the jet lag from a flight to & from that game could impact the London game as well as the game the following week.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Well can't say I'm surprised at this and wondered if we might be in line when the Rams announced their withdrawl after this years game at Wembley.
    Given the upcoming stadium building coming up then its not surprising that the league and the Wilfs would seriously consider the Vikes. Means the league wouldn't have to try and get some of the 'big names' in the league to give up a home game. Also means one less game for the Wilfs to be messing about trying to get problems resolved with the TCF regarding alcohol sales, Pepsi/Coke sales etc etc that I've seen people on here moaning about.
    Regarding a game the following week the league usually schedule a teams bye week for the week following the overseas game.

Incidentally Mark & Scottish Vike - sounds like a possible day out at Wembley ..
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by AngloVike View Post
    Also means one less game for the Wilfs to be messing about trying to get problems resolved with the TCF regarding alcohol sales, Pepsi/Coke sales etc etc that I've seen people on here moaning about.

I believe the alcohol issue was already resolved & a bill passed by the legislature to allow it.

Yes, they will sell alcohol. That legislation was passed several weeks ago and sort of got buried with the recent stadium debates.
    Vikings, University of Minnesota deal says TCF Bank Stadium could be used for up to four years | ProFootballTalk

U likely to allow alcohol for Vikes at TCF stadium | StarTribune.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    Well the current story on the NFLUK site is that Goodell is flying to Jacksonville tomorrow to announce that the Jags will be playing in the IS 2013-2016. Also seems games may be split between London (Wembley), Ireland (Croke Park) and Mexico City.
    So daresay a few here will be happy then

Looks like I need to cancel my hotel reservation for Travelodge then

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by AngloVike View Post
    Well the current story on the NFLUK site is that Goodell is flying to Jacksonville tomorrow to announce that the Jags will be playing in the IS 2013-2016. Also seems games may be split between London (Wembley), Ireland (Croke Park) and Mexico City.
    So daresay a few here will be happy then

Looks like I need to cancel my hotel reservation for Travelodge then
    Jacksonville??? WTF?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Jacksonville??? WTF?

=Z=
    Not surprising when they have problems selling out their home games. Even with the cost of bringing them to London the owner will make money on the fact that he'll have a sell out game. In fact three potential sellout games in three years will set a franchise record I'm sure :-)

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    If you want to watch an American sport in person, come to America & watch it.

IMO, it's not fair to Vikings fans who enjoy watching the Vikings play to possibly lose one of our home games. Yes I'm aware that quite possibly it could be an "away" game for both teams.

I'm also aware that the jet lag from a flight to & from that game could impact the London game as well as the game the following week.
    Really an easy fix if you ask me, plus it could be made a nice little extra for those die hard Vikings Season ticket holders, some of them anyways. One, as stated above, the game would have to be schedualed for the week before the Vikings bye week, gives them plenty of time to get over jet lag after the trip home. And they could make the trip early in the week to go to the host country, to settle into practice and get over that small jet lag, remember singer, it's europe, mex, ect ect, nothing like traveling to SEA or even Asia, and dealing with that kick ass jet lag 12hours..yuk.... And for those die hard fans here, the hosting country/stadium, should have a raffle, for a full paid trip for those lucky season ticket holders. Hotel, 2 meals a day and game tickets, for 2 or 3 days. Limit the raffle to like 500 people, they can afford that for sure. Fans would love the chance at winning and would make for some great interviews and story lines.....
    Just a thought

PS: And to top it off, on big ass catered tailgate party, for all those lucky winning season ticket holders...Hell, Zeus could lead the Vikings Fight Song with the Queen of England...
    Last edited by NordicNed; 08-21-2012 at 03:37 PM.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    yep seen that story floating about over here and believe that Goodell mentioned last year about a possible second game - hence the league hinting about dropping 2 preseason games and then replacing them with 2 overseas games - that way teams could keep their 8 homes games a year and help keep the fanbases happy. For the 2 extra games then they would be no home or away side as such.
    If they did that then wouls also allow the second game to go elsewhere other than Wembley, as Mexico, Ireland have been suggested and they would also geta sellout game in Germany as well. That will only happen though with agreement of the players and would then also interest the likes of Dallas, Pittsburgh etc as it wouldn't cost them a home game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast