SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

LOL Fudge Packers !!

Packers Missed Last, Best Chance

By Mark Maske
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, May 13, 2004; 11:09 AM

The Green Bay Packers could have been in the NFC title game. They should have been in the NFC title game. But their season fell apart when they allowed the Philadelphia Eagles to convert a fourth-and-26 miracle into a game-tying field goal at the end of regulation in their NFC semifinal game. Then, the Eagles intercepted quarterback Brett Favre's up-for-grabs pass, setting up the winning field goal in overtime.

The result was a 20-17 loss that Packers fans have second-guessed ever since the kick cleared the crossbar Jan. 11. The loss gave them plenty to chew on: Coach Mike Sherman's decision to punt on fourth down and less than a yard from the Eagles' 41-yard line with 21/2 minutes left in regulation, to the fourth-and-26 defensive play-calling, to Favre's decision to loft a high, long pass on Green Bay's first offensive play of overtime that floated to Eagles safety Brian Dawkins.

Sherman fired defensive coordinator Ed Donatell in a move he said wasn't based on one play, but few around the league believed that. It was the first time during his Packers tenure that Sherman had fired an assistant (he dismissed tight ends coach Jeff Jagodzinski the same day). He promoted Bob Slowik from defensive backs coach to defensive coordinator.

Last season might end up being remembered as Favre's last, best chance to return to a Super Bowl. He turns 35 in October and reportedly plans to play one to three more seasons.

The angst over the playoff loss to the Eagles might have led Sherman to shake up his coaching staff, but it did not produce an extensive offseason roster overhaul. The Packers will take another shot at getting Favre to a Super Bowl with essentially the same key players.

They kept left tackle Chad Clifton off the free-agent market by making him their franchise player, then signed him to a six-year, $32.35-million contract that included an $11-million signing bonus. They swapped safeties in free agency, losing Antuan Edwards to the Miami Dolphins and signing Mark Roman from the Cincinnati Bengals, and they released defensive tackle Gilbert Brown. But mostly the Packers' offseason has been about ongoing dramas involving cornerback Mike McKenzie and quarterback Tim Couch.

McKenzie, apparently unhappy about his contract and some moves made by the organization, has demanded to be traded. The Packers have not accommodated him, at least not yet, but prepared for his possible departure by using their first two draft choices on cornerbacks, first-rounder Ahmad Carroll of Arkansas and third-rounder Joey Thomas of Montana State.

Green Bay, meantime, has been trying for weeks to reach agreement on a new contract with Couch and his agent, Tom Condon, as a precursor to a trade in which the Packers would obtain the former top overall draft choice from the Cleveland Browns. The Packers want Couch to serve as Favre's backup and future successor.

But talks have stalled, with Couch and Condon apparently wanting a one-year deal that would enable Couch to be an unrestricted free agent next offseason, while the Packers want the contract to be for at least two years. The Packers hosted free-agent quarterback Damon Huard this week, but that might have been a ploy to gain leverage in the Couch negotiations. Green Bay still appears to be the most likely landing spot for Couch, and the Browns could end up releasing him sometime before the season if they're unable to trade him. The Packers have re-signed veteran quarterback Doug Pederson, Favre's backup the past three seasons.

Tailback Ahman Green, the centerpiece of the Green Bay offense, is in the prime of his career, at 27 and the other pieces remain in place. But the Packers basically have stood still this offseason while their NFC North rivals -- the Minnesota Vikings, Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions -- have made significant upgrades, and the path to another Super Bowl isn't getting any easier for Favre as his career winds down.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

LOL Fudge Packers !!

True...we missed a golden opportunity. I think both Carolina and New England were very beatable.

But the news is just as bad for you guys. Even if the Packers are on the decline, you are going to have a much tougher division next season, and if you only put together 9 wins when Detroit and Chicago were laughable, its going to be a lot tougher when Detroit and Chicago are respectable, and GB is the veteran team in the league with the ability to put together a win, too.

You started out 6-0. The division, and really, the conference was yours for the taking. I don't know if you'll get the rest of the league to lay down much anymore.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

LOL Fudge Packers !!

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    True...we missed a golden opportunity. I think both Carolina and New England were very beatable.

But the news is just as bad for you guys. Even if the Packers are on the decline, you are going to have a much tougher division next season, and if you only put together 9 wins when Detroit and Chicago were laughable, its going to be a lot tougher when Detroit and Chicago are respectable, and GB is the veteran team in the league with the ability to put together a win, too.

You started out 6-0. The division, and really, the conference was yours for the taking. I don't know if you'll get the rest of the league to lay down much anymore.
    Carolina and NE were not beatable for the pack. The pack beat mostly bad teams in the last half the season and got a gimme from denver, then had a fluke D play be the only thing that got them past the Seahags. Your overly optomistic.
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

LOL Fudge Packers !!

"its going to be a lot tougher when Detroit and Chicago are respectable"

I'd say it's going to be a lot easier. Check out the teams we crushed, then check out the teams we lost too. Playing hard opponents are almost better for the Vikes.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

LOL Fudge Packers !!

I disagree, bov. I think that Philly was the best team in the NFC, but they are just as jinxed as the Cubs and the BoSox right now. They could have played Detroit in the NFC championship and choked.

Carolina was no better than Green Bay, and I really think New England was a step up, but not unbeatable.

And I do have to agree with the guy on Packerchatters, bov. Just because you overhaul your team doesn't always translate to wins. This writer is from the Washington Post, where the Redskins are the kings of overhaul and overspending that never translate into wins.

If you don't believe that the Packers would have beat Carolina and New England, go to http://www.whatifsports.com/nfl/default.asp and try it yourself.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

LOL Fudge Packers !!

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    Carolina was no better than Green Bay, and I really think New England was a step up, but not unbeatable
    I agree. I also think that Green Bay was no better than Minnesota. Minnesota would have had a decent shot of going to the SB if they had beaten Arizona and made the playoffs.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

LOL Fudge Packers !!

Minnesota probably would have gotten as far as the Packers did if we got in last year. we schooled the Seahawks oncce in the dome. However I really didn't like our chances on the road in the cold against Philly. We suuuuck on grass.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

LOL Fudge Packers !!

doesn't matter anyway. it's in the past. it's all about next year for me!
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

LOL Fudge Packers !!

I really have to agree with amavikes fan! Last year is over (as disappointing as it was). Now we just need this damn year to get started!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!