Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    How long has the NFL been around?

Keep in mind Ponder only threw 18 TD's all year.

Guess where the other 4 came from.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Ponder looked bad. Cassel came in and looks way worse.
    Oh yeah Cassel had a great supporting cast. Who was even that WR who dropped that TD. *rolling eyes* Ponder played with 1s against 2s and 3s and could not do shit! Ponder is garbage.
    I am in no way defending ponder but for the love of god Cassel was just brutal. He had passes that were so far off target it almost looked intentional. San Fran's last QBs looked more poised and prepared than either of ours.

Cassel was brutal last night.

It's going to be a long season & I don't mean because we will be in the playoffs.

I'm not sure how Ponder can not see the open receivers down field when they have their hands up in the air waving for him to see them. On that play where both Patterson & Rudolph had their hands in the air, Rudolph appeared disgusted/upset that Ponder decided to keep it instead.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Cassel locked bad... but he was playing with the 2nd string line. Our backups on the oline are really bad. Really... really bad.

However, ponder needs to go because he in unable to do what all other 31 Qbs do and that's drive the field without having Peterson. He is the worst starting QB in the league. He looks no better than Gabbertt or Sanchez and both of them don't have the benefit of playing with Peterson.

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drakkar View Post
    Is it possible that ponder is worse than anyone thinks??
    Could be.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Keep in mind Ponder only threw 18 TD's all year.

Guess where the other 4 came from.

That is truly pathetic.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Thoughts one the game:

The starting defense looked good until the 49ers started to abuse Josh Robinson. Watch their scoring drive again. Every single pass was to Josh Robinson's guy. He's looking like he could be a huge liability in coverage this year. Both Cook and Rhodes looked solid, but it today's NFL, you need three solid corners. We're going to miss Winfield. Also, Sanford needs to catch the ball.

What is wrong with Kalil? 3rd and inches and he let his guy blow right through him. Later we finally get a drive going and have 40 yards in penalties, 30 on Kalil. Ugly.

Ponder was okay, I guess, but could have been a lot better.

Cassel was/is awful. Are people still going to be clamoring for him now?

Burton has looked good this preseason, but what the heck was he doing on the pick? That was 100% on him. He'll make the team again, but he needs to do something this year and he can't make mistakes like that and needs to be better than he was last season.

Desmond Bishop made a few decent plays. He'll be our starter week 1.

Honestly, this game wasn't as bad as the score makes it look. A few miscues here and there had a huge effect on the outcome. (Sanford dropped int - 7pts, Kalil crapping pants - at least 3 points, kick return TD - 7pts, Burton causing a pick, etc.)
    Against a team like SF, if we make that many mistakes we will lose 100% of the time. If we can eliminate these errors, we will be in a lot of games, if not, we may be picking the top 10 next year.

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Cassel locked bad... but he was playing with the 2nd string line. Our backups on the oline are really bad. Really... really bad.

However, ponder needs to go because he in unable to do what all other 31 Qbs do and that's drive the field without having Peterson. He is the worst starting QB in the league. He looks no better than Gabbertt or Sanchez and both of them don't have the benefit of playing with Peterson.
    No buts, Cassell just looked bad. I thought when we signed him that he would be a guy that could step in for Ponder and give us respectable play at the position. However, his play seems to get a little worse each time I see him. I don't really care who they put behind center, I doubt we will see much of a difference. Chances are we will see them both, so we can continue to debate throughout the season which turd we prefer.

Maybe a more systematic problem than just the QB. Unless of course you put a guy like Favre/Peyton/Brady in who pretty much takes over and completely change the identity of our team.

Frazier summed it up pretty well when being interviewed. We are not going to change who we are...a running team that runs their offense through Peterson. If we have a 3rd and long situation, then we expect the QB to make that play (yea right). We will not be a team that features the passing game. I think this is the hardest point for a lot of fans. If your a team that focuses on a physical style of offense featuring the running game, don't expect a lot of success in passing. Maybe counter intuitive, but I think it has proven itself over and over again. Same thing in reverse, if you focus on having a top passing offense, you will probably struggle in the running game.

It is pre-season and very few teams come out looking real sharp, but for those expecting a much different team this year from last, I think you will be sorely disappointed. The approach this team is taking is very clear. They are focused on physical play, ball control offense, special teams and limiting mistakes. None of which by the way is highlighted much in pre-season. Last year, we won every game where we won the turnover battle. Not real exciting in today's fantasy driven NFL, but that appears to be the identity they are going after. If the team fails to be competitive this year, then Frazier's job will be in jeopardy and changes could be coming, until then, I think this is who we are.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast