Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    silvermane is offline Rookie

lions training camp updates

hi everybody, purplepat suggested i give you guys some notes from lions training camp. i realize this is a vikings board but i thought you guys would also like to see what's going on with the team that will become the nfc north division champs

the biggest news has been harrington himself. like everyone expected the duo of charles rogers and roy williams, along with stephen alexander and casey fitzsimmons has greatly improved the lions passing game. having kevin jones in the backfield has also made a huge difference. mariucci has noticed a big change in harrington's game from last season.

said mooch: "I see improvement in Joey in the practices right now. I’ve seen it in the mini camps and I certainly see it in training camp. He’s having an excellent training camp.”

“His leadership ability is improved; his knowledge of the system (is improved). His familiarity with what we are doing is very good. He’s starting a rhythm up with these young receivers. It is going to take time in the 1,000s of throws into 10,000s throws, you know? We’re going to get better as time goes on. How fast he can show improvement from efficiency and production remains to be seen, but I expect it to happen. It is going to get better and better as time goes on with these young players.”

although most of the talk about the lions in the offseason has centered around their top round draft picks, tight end stephen alexander has an important role in the offense that cannot be overlooked. actually, he's hoping most teams will forget about him when the other lion receivers line up. "That's what we're hoping," laughed Alexander. "I mean those guys are such great players, extremely fast and got a lot of speed on the outside. We're just going to go out and do our part in the middle of the field, help get this run game going and hopefully just get on a little role and get this offense going."

the former pro bowl tight end had suffered a "sports hernia" injury last year and had to sit out the season. he hopes to contribute a lot to the lions offense this year and has already been looking very good in camp.

while the news on offense is nothing but optimistic things are different on defense mainly because of injuries. the biggest problem was with fernando bryant who suffered a strained ligament in his hamstring and had to be helped off the field. his status is day to day and he could miss the next couple weeks but should be ready for the regular season opener against chicago. linebacker boss bailey is also out of practice right now with a minor knee injury.

the good part of the defense right now is teddy lehman who has been practicing as the middle lb and has been very impressive to the coaching staff. although mariucci says earl holmes right now is still the starter, lehman has shown he has the instincts, communication skills, and confidence that are required of the middle position. that combined with his obvious athletic ability has coaches believing he will be the future middle lb for the lions. the main concern right now is for him to get the reps in practice and learn the new defensive schemes.

overall the lions are much more optimistic about their season than they were last year.

silvermane is offline Rookie

sorry i realize i should have posted this under general nfl news. i will remember next time!

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

WOrks for me. Thanks for the update, silver.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Its ok Silver... people are more likely to read it under this forum anyways!!

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

You know what Silvermane, that was cool. I appreciate too the fact that you respect us as Viking's fans. Your post was informative, and clearly didn't reek of having a superior "we're great and you suck" mentality.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Looks like another NFC North team poised to kick the packers ass this year. :headbang:

WWBGD

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

I know a lot of people who have been down on joey harrington and see him as another 1st round bust at QB, but i think he is gonna be a really good QB. It has taken him longer than expected, to develope, but he is getting better. It will help, to have a rushing attack finally. He has two young studs at WR. I think harington will be one of the top 5 or so QB's in 2 or 3 years. I really like Roy williams and think he might have a better year than charles rogers, who i also like.

I still see this lions team as being very weak on D, and that isn't good if you have a young offense. Young offenses will be extremely inconsistent. One thing forsure, the lions games should be very fun to watch this year.

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

"SKOL" wrote:
    Your post was informative, and clearly didn't reek of having a superior "we're great and you suck" mentality.
    "RK" wrote:
    Looks like another NFC North team poised to kick the packers ass this year. :headbang:
    *sigh*
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

*LOL*

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Thanks, silvermane. Keep the Lions news coming.

I too think Harrington will be OK. He can't carry the team by himself, which is basically what he was trying to do the last two years. The Lions are finally starting to surround him with some talent.

I think Mariucci is a pretty good coach, and will turn the Lions around. By 2005, they will be a very dangerous team.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast