Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    (Warning....Bleacher Report).....

Minnesota Vikings: 5 Things We Learned in 20-13 Win over Lion

Minnesota Vikings: 5 Things We Learned in 20-13 Win over Lions | Bleacher Report
    The Vikings defense hit and hit and hit some more. Chad Greenway, Antoine Winfield, Harrison Smith, Letroy Guion and Everson Griffen all did enough to earn game balls Sunday. And they weren't alone.
    That's what I saw. The defense hit and hit and hit some more. Mirror that with Peterson hitting and hitting and hitting some more. Bring on the physical play and see this team play at it's best.

Got to believe somebody is trying to restore an identity to this team.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Great game other than the worthless prevent defense we ran and gave them a td. Ad looked great again! No turnovers on o was a great thing. Im still gonna stay reserved and not get hopes too high. But it has been a great start, lets keep it up boys!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Well good game to watch despite some of the offensive miscues. Yes compared to what we've seen before Ponder didn't have a good game, some of that is down to him and some was also on the poor playcalling sent out by Musgrave. There were also some good calls by Musgrave and throws by Ponder as well so it wasn't all bad.
    Yes this time we were carried by the defence and ST but thats the way games sometimes go, if one unit isn't playing well then the others step up. So overall the team earnt their win yesterday against a divisional rival in their house as well.

I was impressed with some of the secondary play and loved the hit put on Johnson by Harrison - long may he keep doing that !
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    As you may know, the Vikings broke an 11-game divisional losing streak with their win over the Lions yesterday. I had expected the Vikings to be 2-1 after their first 3 games, but I did not expect them to win at Detroit yesterday. What a nice surprise to be 3-1 and at least tied for first place in the NFC North! Kudos to this young, improving team!

My thoughts on the game yesterday:

1. I LOVED the physical style of play the Vikings showed yesterday. To me, the tackling seemed better than last year. I even didn't mind the personal fouls on Robinson and Greenway for overly physical tackles and hits. That will happen occasionally when you play very physical football.

2. Special teams were finally special! It's great that we got 14 points from special teams punt and kickoff returns. We need points any way we can get them, and we needed those 14 points yesterday!

3. I sense Detroit was not on their game yesterday. Perhaps our physical style of play was the reason for this. I was really impressed by Harrison Smith's hit on Megatron in the endzone (which resulted in an incomplete pass).

4. AD looks "all the way back" to me.

5. It's great to have Jerome Simpson in the offense. He made the offense better yesterday, and I look forward to watching him the rest of the season.

6. Ponder continues to play efficient, smart football. No interceptions yet this year? WOW!

I think the explosiveness of the passing offense will take some time to develop. Clearly, the Vikings are markedly improved from last year. Their schedule after their Week 1 bye looks brutal, so I feel they will finish no better than 8-8 this year. I hope I'm wrong, and that the Vikings win more games than I predict. Hats off to a very nice beginning of the season!

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    I did not get to actually watch this game, so I have only the stats and highlights from which to judge, but I am pretty stoked right now. In some ways, this win was more impressive than the 49ers game was.

For the first time in HOW LONG, we had what can only be described as a DOMINANT defensive performance. I am loving it all over the place. On top of that, we are now the only team in NFL history to have a Kickoff return TD and punt return TD in the same game THREE TIMES. Thank you, Messrs Harvin and Sherels.

Now the offense seems to have left something to be desired, but was at least still reasonably efficient. I can live with that, but it won't be enough for a lot of games later on. We need to step it back up a notch or two, but I am confident that we can do so.

As I've maintained, we always seem to play better when no one is expecting us to. We need to be careful now that people are beginning to take notice, and not let down.

Our next three games are all winnable ones (Titans, Redskins and Cardinals) but none of them will be easy. Just imagine, though, what a 5 game winning streak would feel like, giving us momentum heading into the real meat of our schedule.

Let's go Vikings! Keep up your discipline and confidence, and nothing can stop you but yourselves.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    You know what a great team is......A team that can come onto the field (especially someone else) and beat that team by exposing their weaknesses.

Lions primary weakness.....Return coverage.....Result...14 points. Coaches got that one right and players executed it to perfection (except the one missed FG - Walsh let me down on that one).

Lions secondary weakness....Stopping the run...Result....AD goes over 100.

Lions tertiary weakness.....Playing in a game that is slowed down. See their secondary weakness. Running the ball on offense coupled with our great defensive play, absolutely kept them out of synch all day.

You know what else makes a team great? When you can overcome one of your own weaknesses......

5 Sacks and 8 tackles for loss and this was provided by the front 4 more the most part which allowed the S's to play deep (and hit hard) in their zones. Also allowed Jasper to roam further away from the DL (back in his zone were he belongs) which allowed him time to read-react to the play.

Long story short, that's how you play the C2 my friends. Front 4 getting it done (I'm loving me some Ballard, Griffen and Guion today), LB'rs back in their zones, DB's routing receivers to the inside and S's laying the lumber from their zones.
    I like this perspective.

The main thing that sticks is good teams find a way to win. We are a good team so far. So how do we become a great team. I think we need to be able to impose our will on offense too. I think our run game will hunt and the short pass game will hunt. We need to find our deep pass game, can Ponder do that and keep the INTs low.

I am happy with the defense so far but if we run into a really good o-line, I think we will have a tough time.

I think we have a ton of guys that all feel like they can contribute to the team's effort. From the rotating defensive line to the Harvin's concern for giving guys an idea of who they will be game in and game out so they can prepare for the game.

I can't wait to play AZ, Wash, Hou, Sea and the Packers in Lamblow which are all pivotal games that will define who we are and what the talking heads think of us.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    I got the feeling Percy was a bit off his game. Being doubled alot is probably more realistic to what was going on though.

Vikings WR Percy Harvin sheds light on his former unhappiness - Minnesota Vikings - CBSSports.com RapidReports

You would think WR Percy Harvin would be unhappy. As a result of double coverage by the Lions defense Sunday, Harvin had his fewest targets (5), fewest catches (3) and fewest yards of the season (22). But that doesn't bother him if the team wins.
    "They had bracket coverage all game," Harvin said. "But that's why it's a team game -- it helped Jerome [Simpson] make a few key catches with one-on-one [coverage]. We took a couple deep shots. We all feed off each other. There will be games like that."

this is gonna be happening.. if D's focus on AP alone.. PH will burn them.. if they focus on AD/PH well.. the rest of the team needs to step up and show.. we'll burn you there too..

I don't think the coaches had prepared for this event.. but now.
    I think we'll be fine in the passing game, said coach Leslie Frazier when asked about the coverage on Harvin. We all saw some things that we think will help us going forward. But we can also anticipate teams trying to defend us similarly to what Detroit did yesterday -- so we'll have to adjust a little bit.

this will determine how our O performs next week!!

Still riding the purple coolaid buzz!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by digital420 View Post
    Vikings WR Percy Harvin sheds light on his former unhappiness - Minnesota Vikings - CBSSports.com RapidReports

You would think WR Percy Harvin would be unhappy. As a result of double coverage by the Lions defense Sunday, Harvin had his fewest targets (5), fewest catches (3) and fewest yards of the season (22). But that doesn't bother him if the team wins.
    "They had bracket coverage all game," Harvin said. "But that's why it's a team game -- it helped Jerome [Simpson] make a few key catches with one-on-one [coverage]. We took a couple deep shots. We all feed off each other. There will be games like that."[/b]

this is gonna be happening.. if D's focus on AP alone.. PH will burn them.. if they focus on AD/PH well.. the rest of the team needs to step up and show.. we'll burn you there too..

DiGiTaL
    And that is what I love about having the deep threat WR. We so desperately needed that. We now have 3 legitimate threats to go along with a great pass catching TE that teams have to respect & cover. Try to focus on one or two of them & the third will be there to make a play.

We need to use all 3 of them better to stretch the defenders apart & I think we will. Having a deep threat WR doesn't necessarily mean we need to send him deep on every passing play, but the threat of that possibility is going to keep defenses honest.

Looking forward to seeing what adjustments Musgrave makes for next week.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Review of the game from ProFootball Focus
    ReFo: Vikings @ Lions, Week 4

They only really bagged on Brinkley (-1.8) on their short review (Ponder was given a negative grade of -0.8), mostly due to his pass coverage:

Short Underneath

If there was a deficiency in the Vikings anywhere, it was really in pass coverage at linebacker. Chad Greenway was his usual productive self, but Jasper Brinkley (-1.8) looked like a guy who was used to coming forward, not dropping back. He was often out of position, slow to react and overall he allowed six of eight passes into his area to be completed, for 59 yards, with 29 of those coming after the catch. He only played four snaps less in coverage in this game than hes done in the entire season, as he filled in for the injured Erin Henderson. With Henderson likely back next week from concussion, it may be that the Vikings have ridden out the worst because Brinkley is a good run defender. If Henderson still cant go though, expect the Titans to try and take advantage.
    Very high on Harrison:

- Quietly, Harrison Smith is making his way up the defensive rookie of the year rankings. Zero yards allowed, two passes defensed and zero missed tackles is my view of what a safety is all about. I will be expecting that Khaled sees it this way too!

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    I like this perspective.

The main thing that sticks is good teams find a way to win. We are a good team so far. So how do we become a great team. I think we need to be able to impose our will on offense too. I think our run game will hunt and the short pass game will hunt. We need to find our deep pass game, can Ponder do that and keep the INTs low.

I am happy with the defense so far but if we run into a really good o-line, I think we will have a tough time.

I think we have a ton of guys that all feel like they can contribute to the team's effort. From the rotating defensive line to the Harvin's concern for giving guys an idea of who they will be game in and game out so they can prepare for the game.

I can't wait to play AZ, Wash, Hou, Sea and the Packers in Lamblow which are all pivotal games that will define who we are and what the talking heads think of us.
    Snow, good to see you posting again. seemed you weren't around for awhile.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast