Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Bill Parcells says u are..... what ur record is.....
    I agree.
    I was hoping for you to break down Griffs play when he was at the 5 tech and when he was at the 3 tech........snicker....

JK my friend. Couldn't resist a poke.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I pretty much agree here.

I am impressed by Peterson coming back and being so strong.

I loved the Defense stepping up and shutting Detroit down series after series.

Special Teams was fantastic.

The O-line was solid.

Ponder was.....ummmmm......well.....Ponder was on the field and didn't throw any picks.

I spent years bagging on Jackson for riding the Defense and Peterson to victory...that's what Ponder did today.

111 yards passing. 3-12 third down efficiency. The vast majority of his completions were dink-n-dunk chip shots.

The Ponder-lead Offense was responsible for only 6 points. Special Teams and the Defense did all the heavy lifting.

I'm not throwing in the towel on Ponder, I'm simply being fair. It was exactly this type of play that soured me on Jackson. Ponder needs to step up and make plays if he is truly going to be the "Franchise" guy.

I thought some of the offensive play calling was moronic - quit trying the "cute" plays. We have a hard time making the basic ones work, let's not waste drives on trick plays that trick no one.

I thought the rest of the team did a GREAT job delivering a solid performance. Hats off to the D and Special teams. They get my "game ball" award.

Caine
    I think Ponder did exactly what Ponder was asked to do.

Hand the ball off to AD and don't make any mistakes and take a couple of shots when they are available. The 3 throws to Simpson were money even though only one of them was an actual completion. Teams will rethink how they defend him from now on.

I also think that if we wouldn't have been successful in the ST's area we would have seen a more open offensive attack, but in the end, why risk something if you don't have to.

At least for me, I'll take a 16-26-100yds and a win over a 30-51-286 and a loss any day.

A question (not only for you), does anyone know if Percy was sick yesterday? He sure was sucking air quick. Could be that he burned most of what he had on ST's and that limited his usefulness on offense. Just a thought.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I didn't get to watch much of hte game, but from what I did see and from monitoring the pbp, it's obvious we struggled passing the ball.

So much for having Simpson spread the D out. Did the D just stack the box and try and make us force it deep? It seems every deep shot was incomplete or a penalty on Detroit.

I"ll download the game and watch tomorrow, have my thoughts then.
    They rolled double to him several times and had only 7 in the box on most of our runs (thats why we were running so much, but as I've said repeatedly on here.......It doesn't matter, teams are still going to load the box. Its part of the game regardless of how many fast WR's you put on the field.

In the end, the Lions knew our primary strength on offense is to run the ball. They tried to take that away and failed. Because of that, and a few nicely thrown balls (and one lucky bounce to Simspon) our offense was effective enough to keep the clock moving, give the defense a blow and put a few points on the board.

Sometimes you get a win by taking what their D gives and thats what we saw yesterday even though it wasn't the high flying shootout everybody expected to see.

Quote Originally Posted by digital420 View Post
    Percy was blanketed about as much as we did Johnson.. hence he was taken kinda out of the game.

that should open up for the rest, but i saw little from the TE's, and even simpson wasn't being overly targeted..

i'll rewatch what i can later to have a better view.
    I got the feeling Percy was a bit off his game. Being doubled alot is probably more realistic to what was going on though.

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I know, but we need to expect that. The brilliance behind the short, accurate passing game augmented by a strong run is that we should be able to execute even if the defense is ready for it. Against the Lions it seemed like we didn't even try - where were the quick slants? where were the zone beakers over the middle to Harvin?

I do like that we chose to throw it deep, and at least one of those would have been a nice long completion if not for the pass interference. Ponder was accurate deep, and that is promising.

I just don't want to see Musgrave screw with the offense too much now that we have a vertical threat. Simpson should augment the offense, not change it.
    You see, I thought that is what we saw yesterday.........

Sticking to what our strength was......AD (which they couldn't stop) and a mix of some short Dink/Dunk passing (which they were ready to stop) with a few very nice shots (which they struggled with) to Simpson.

He did, however, mix in a few plays that absolutely had me ready to go beserk over. Good think I was holding my Grandson. Kept me on an even keel.....

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ Platypus View Post
    This team looks about 10 times better than I was expecting. I have to make an effort to curb my enthusiasm to keep myself from using the P word. Maybe in two more weeks.
    Well, I was very optimistic to begin with and thought there was a good chance we could be 3-1 at this point. Of course I thought that the one loss was gonna come from the 9rs and not the Colts though.

Still, they are better than I thought they would be, mostly because I thought we would see more inconsitency even during the wins. So far, they have been pretty strong in the following areas....

ST's - Young Blair let me down a bit. Kluwe seems to be off his a game just a tad as well.
    OL
    LB'rs
    DB's
    RB's
    QB-Face it, the kid is smart with the ball and is putting it in the areas of the right WR's on almost every throw-The stuff everyone craves (deep throws) will come in time.

Have shown improvement over the last couple of games in the following areas:

DL (Especially with the young guys in there)
    WR/TE's - Up until this game but I blame the coaches for that and their game plan if blame really needs to be levied. Truth be told, I like that they didn't throw it all over in this one.

Just saying......

but in the end Ponder is the only NFL starter without an interception, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Season Overview: NFC North QBs

Player Passer rating NFL rank* QBR NFL rank*
    Christian Ponder 97.7 8 68.9 11
    Aaron Rodgers 95.7 12 60.9 16
    Matthew Stafford 81.6 22 59.1 17
    Jay Cutler 58.6* 31 31.4* 30
    NFC North Week 4 Quarterback Report - NFC North Blog - ESPN

(Warning....Bleacher Report).....

Minnesota Vikings: 5 Things We Learned in 20-13 Win over Lion

We know that Matthew Stafford can put up some huge numbers as a passer. We'd heard that the Detroit Lions had found the power back with some speed that they've been looking for for years. We know that Calvin Johnson is the best wide receiver in football.
    The Vikings defense straight up whipped them.
    Yes, Stafford ended up with 319 passing yards, but over 200 of them were when the Vikings were in "bend but don't break" mode. The new running back, Mikel Leshoure, was held in check all day long, kept to just 26 yards on 13 carries, and his biggest gain of the day ended in a fumble that the Vikings recovered.
    The Vikings defense hit and hit and hit some more. Chad Greenway, Antoine Winfield, Harrison Smith, Letroy Guion and Everson Griffen all did enough to earn game balls Sunday. And they weren't alone.
    The Vikings defense doesn't look even remotely like the group that played in 2011. The rotation of defensive linemen seems to be working perfectly, and the defensive backs are making plays all over the field.
    It's easy to argue that the Lions offense laid an egg on Sunday, but much of that had to do with the Vikings smothering offense.
    3-1 and atop the NFC North is where it's gotten them. So far, so good.

Minnesota Vikings: 5 Things We Learned in 20-13 Win over Lions | Bleacher Report

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    WOW. 3-1!!!?!?? Nobody saw that coming, eh!??? Even the talking heads are starting to take notice, 2 of 5 picked us to win during the pregame show yesterday, and I heard Mooch said he, "Love, Love, LOVES!" the old-school game the Vikings are playing!!

What I love the most, is that we've played a solid game on all three phases, and against good teams, for two weeks straight!!! Obviously, STs won this game, scoring 14 of our 20 points...the 6 we got on offense, would not have been enough. But, once again, Ponder did just enough, and did NOT try to do too much, and thus lose the game for us. As mentioned, the PI calls don't show up on the stat sheet, but they do give us first downs, and big chunks of (57) yards down field. The threat of Simpson was worth at least 2 free first downs, and that catch he made over the defender's head was freaking amazing!

The Defense has been out-standing, despite their lack of "flash plays." We're no.9 in total yards allowed, dropped to 15 vs. passing yards, but moved up to 7 vs. rushing yards, and in the ALL IMPORTANT POINTS ALLOWED, we are number 7 as well!!!

Walsh and company have improved STs incredibly, and we're winning because we're not beating ourselves for a change. I'm still not expecting playoffs, but the future is starting to look a lot brighter!! SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!

BAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! !

Now just don't trip yourselves up vs. the Titans next week!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

1. In-game charting from ESPN Stats & Information uncovers a revealing approach the Vikings have taken with tailback Adrian Peterson, who is still recovering from December knee surgery. In four games this season, 94 percent of his carries and total yards have come on runs between the tackles. Sunday, none of his 21 carries went outside of the tackles. In previous seasons, Peterson has run between the tackles anywhere from 69.7 percent (2009) to 81.6 percent (2010). When the trend is so clear after a fair sample size, it's fair to call it intentional. It makes perfect sense to maximize what Peterson still has -- strength and power -- rather than force what is still coming around, namely his speed and explosion out of cuts. Regardless, Peterson had more bounce in his step Sunday than at any point this season. He finished with 102 yards on 21 carries while playing the highest percentage of the Vikings' snaps (79) since he returned.
    2. The debut of receiver Jerome Simpson coincided with one of the worst passing days, in terms of net yards, by an NFL team this season. But Simpson absolutely had an impact on this game as a deep threat. His leaping 27-yard reception, the Vikings' second-longest this season, extended a fourth-quarter possession and required the Lions to use two extra timeouts. In the first half, meanwhile, Simpson drew a pair of pass interference calls. So looked at one way, Simpson accounted for 107 yards of offense on six plays -- four catches for 50 yards and two penalties for 57. Maybe that's why usually dispassionate coach Leslie Frazier had Simpson in a bear hug when the game was over. The Vikings couldn't have hoped for too much more in his first game of 2012.
    Free Head Exam: Minnesota Vikings - NFC North Blog - ESPN

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast