Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Lions Game: What went Right, Wrong, and Unexpected?

Week 5 Analysis contest:
    give me your opinion of the Lions game covering these three points:
    What went right, what went wrong, and what was unexpected in this game?

Winner will receive free Vikings gear as always!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Lions Game: What went Right, Wrong, and Unexpected?

What went right: The first offensive drive. I know we looked ugly for a long time in that game, but if Childress has proven one thing, it's that he can take a team on film and turn them around on the first drive. The first 15 plays of every game are usually scripted, and Childress is a genius at taking those first 15 plays and getting production out of them. Tice was always bad at that, but Childress has gotten points on the offense's first drive ever week. I'm impressed by that.

What went wrong: The offense for most of the first 2 1/1 quarters. Chester was amazing, and the run blocking was good, but with the exception of that first drive the rest was atrocious. Brad made some ugly throws, Troy dropped another (albeit a tough) catch, the pocket collapsed quickly a few times and receivers weren't getting open. Brad had to dump it off again and again, and that 3 or 4 yard dumpoff to Moore was starting to get old. Our inability to move the ball and our two offensive turnovers spelled ugliness for most of the game. We turned it around in the third quarter on the drive where Brad went 6/6 and a TD, but prior to that, the offense was what went wrong.

Surprising: The officiating. I think the Vikes have been on the receiving end of some bad calls in the first few weeks, but this week I though the officials were good. They didn't make any game changing calls and called the obvious stuff. They were very fair.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

What went right: The Vikings sticking to the running game even when we were down.. The defense playing lights out football for 4 quarters.. Holding our opponets to under 20 points a game for the first 5 games of the season..

What went wrong: Special Teams stunk it up again.. The offensive line was not doing a dam thing the first half of the game.. Childress's play calling was somewhat questionable at times today..

What was unexpected:
    The team sticking to the run when we were behind starting the second half.. Our defense continuing to play very well when we were down.. Both of those things wouldn't have happened in past years.. Cudos to Childress to sticking to the run, and Tomlin for sending the dogs on a tired offense..

Hoorah!!!!!

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Good: C. Taylor tearing it up, not just running, but his catches were crucial at times too. The Defense. what can I say that hasn 't already been said? Amazing and fun.

Bad: Playcalling between the first drive and the end of the 3rd quarter. I thought poor play calling lead to our offense stalling. I hope it's still just the leadership getting their bearings to the new situation and not a true indication of who they really are. And, of course, Special Teams. just gross, except for the last coupel returns that could have gone the distance towards the end.

Unexpected: BJ's troubles. I don't think he was bad as much as he just struggled. Again, I attribute some to play calling, but most to the protection. This was the Lions, it shouldn't have been this close. Also, the 4th quarter. I finally felt like for the first time, all aspects of our team were clicking on all cylinders. The offense at least moved the ball and scored a TD!!!!!! and defense finally ran some turnovers back and some returns on ST were solid. I felt like we finally got pissed enough and stopped trying to play patty-cake and finally went to hard-nosed, aggressive football.
    We saw close to our potential during the 4th.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

What went wrong:

The play calling sucked!

4th quarter we are down by 1 point and we have 3rd and 1 and we throw a bomb, again!
    Didn't they learn from the the 4th and 2 from 2 weeks ago?
    Get the 1st down 1st and then go for the bomb but high % pass would have been a better call!

Then we line up for a field goal try and we pouch kick!
    What the heck was that?

On the next drive we have 3rd and goal and we run 3 straight plays up the middle!
    Try something different on 2nd down, or third down!
    A fade to the corner, an off tackle run, a screen pass or a tightend in the end of the endzone but not 3 straight runs up the middle!

What went right!

The running game was moving the ball for most of the game and even MeMo made up for the punt return fumble.

The pressure got to Kitna and he made some mistakes that our linebackers took advantage of!

Defense game plan that Tomlin put in worked for most of the game!

The defense front 4 stopped the run and got the best pressure they have all season and was key to the D to day.

Also the coverage was good to almost great today and the CB's were not playing as far off today and was jamming the receivers and taking them out of their routes!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Linebackers all contributed some big plays, this has been our biggest improvement from last year.

For all the problems we are having with special teams we do a good job of dropping punts around the 2 and killing the ball there

I will leave the negatives for the coaches to work on during the bye week

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

What went right:
    Defense, special team run back coverage, and the running game.
    Napoleon continues to show his value and Taylor really showed his "moves" to all of you doubting Thomases out there.
    TEs started getting used.

What went wrong:
    Offense still isn't clicking.
    Third down conversions were poor.
    Redzone performance was poor.
    What was up with that blocked kick????
    Play calling was too predictable.
    Something has to change in the "O"

I believe this game was a true test of our offense.
    I hoped we would have piled on the points...
    thank God for the defensive points!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Forgot my unexpected- Holding the Lions to 16 yards of total rushing, outstanding

From what i've read, it sounds like the line was clicking better against (what has been) a stingy run defense but that the "west coast" short frump dump passes were getting the Vikes nowhere. Maybe it's time for Childress to pass down duties of playcalling to the OC. Against the 30th ranked passing D, we should have had a field day.

Rastak is offline Rookie

Right: Vikings defense.....DEFENSE!

Wrong: The Vikings offense friggen blows.

Unexpected: Your F'ing kicker punting during a 51 yard field goal attempt when down by 1.
    WTF was that?

SKOL VIKES!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast