Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linehan

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Linehan

I have read a lot of threads putting a lot of blame on Daunte for his fumble or the Oline for their horrible play. Someone even said we needed to improve the play of our CBs who prettty much silenced T.O. and Donovon. Of course T.O. did have that one reception that should challenged. I don't care if it looked 99% like he caught it, that pretty much sealed the game for them and what we needed to do was challenge no matter how close it looked. Take that out and he had what, 3 receptions for 30-some yards.

Those aren't the main problems though. One single play does not determine a game. It should have never come down to that. We can beat the Eagles and we should have beat the Eagles.

Without a doubt the problem in this game was coaching. I'd say 1/4 of our loss is on Tice, he should have made sure that we could operate under the crowd noise. That would have cut down on a lot of penalties. and saved us a lot.

However the blunt of it is on Scott Linehan. We saw the same thing this game that we saw last season - getting inside the other teams terrority very easily and then just stopping. It looked like Linehand was trying to confuse the defense by going with different plays than just the fade to Moss or trying to puncht he ball through by running it. We made what 6, 7, trips to the redzone and the ball was only thrown to Moss twice. Once just didn't work out, the second was a touchdown. Once we get inside the 30 we need to be taking shots in the endzone to Moss at least once per set of downs. It's not that hard. I am still in awe that we didn't throw a deep ball all friggin' game.

I mean frikin' seriously now. We've got under a minute to play and needing to get 2 secores and we are throwing short passes? I mean the short guys weren't even running routs to the out of bounds markers!

We should have taken shots deep with Moss, it's monday night football, he is ina match-up with T.O. and he is the best in the game going against mediocre, short CBs.

I also don't want to hear that Pass protection was bad, so we couldn't throw deep. Daunte Culpepper can get away from pressure and buy us a couple of seconds. He did it a hundred times that game I swear. Just takes some bootlegs to get us a deep shot.

This was one of the dumbest games I have ever had the displeasure of watching. Anyone offensive Coordinator that doesn't make sure we at least try to go deep ONE TIME in a big game, with an offense that that is built on the big play, and one with Culpepper, Moss, Campbell and Robinson, I feel, needs to be fired.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Del Rio Guest

Linehan

I agree with the fact that the coaching is to blame for a lot of our problems.

I don't know if he needs to be fired.

It looked like our team wasn't even trying. It looked like they were giving it a half A$$ effort. And I chalk it up to a sound yet unexplosive offensive strategy.

There was a thread before the game talking about running the ball a lot, and I disagreed and said no we should dump the ball of short and often as it will be open all the time. Well that's exactly what we did, and I learned a valuable lesson. We needed to stretch the field in addition to spreading it.

The coaches must have gotten caught up in the media hype. And figured they would be targeting Moss and so they played conservatively. The deal is this it looked to me that Culpepper played within the system that was designed for this specific game, but between being limited to what he could do due to crowd noise, mistakes, poor play calling, aggresive pass rush, he got overwhelmed.

He wasn't even looking downfield because he knew he would have to focus his attention on escaping a sack and he turned the ball over once allready he wasn't going to throw an ill advised pass.

That pressure was insane. even when they came with 4 they were on him.

Did any one else get the sense of lack of effort? I mean they just went down the field in an effective time consuming manner and when we got to the red zone the plays were like plays you would call if you wanted to kick a field goal. And that is what we did.

I agree 100% the coaching staff sucked this one up big time.

Offense: Good theory but mix in some run and at least a few deep shots to stretch the field. I guess there was no reason to stretch the field because they were giving us whatever we wanted underneath.

Defense: Bot teams played deep coverage waiting for the other to explode deep and both offenses took advantage. They played a little more agressive and by the time we noticed oh hell they aren't going to burn us deep or they noticed it was too late. We had become 1 dimensional.

Head coach: F+ for this game I like him overall.

Special Teams: We might as well get the Lingerie bowl gals in there at least there would be something to look at while the other team runs one back

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Linehan

LOL

One loss and Tice should be fired? Cripes. Don't fire him for that. Fire him for the post 6-0 collapse last year, not one loss this year to what is probably the best team in the NFC.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

Linehan

I don't blame Tice for Linehan not being able to call plays.

I do blame Tice for not being prepared for crowd noise. I do not however, think Tice came up with a gane plan that went away from not getting Randy the ball, and not taking a deep shot the ENTIRE game, to even ONE receiever.

Culpepper has rolled out of the pocket and found guys deep plenty of times in his career. Pressure IS NOT and excuse for not throwing a deep ball all game.

Linehan

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    LOL

One loss and Tice should be fired? Cripes. Don't fire him for that. Fire him for the post 6-0 collapse last year, not one loss this year to what is probably the best team in the NFC.

No, I said Linehan should be fired. Not for this game, but for his career as our offensive coordinator.

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

Linehan

I think Linehan called a horrible game. I was too sitting in awe wondering why we didn't go deep. Come on, we have RANDY F'ING MOSS! THE best reciver in the game! WHY????? And, I think we should have ran the ball more with Onterrio.......

I don't think Linehan should get fired yet. Yes, horrible playcalling, but without most of those penalties we could have pulled out that game with horrible playcalling. Just remember that.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Linehan

This was a typical Linehan road game, what did you expect? He seems to forget what kind of offense we have as soon as we leave the metrodome. We almost never open it up on the road for some reason...

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Linehan

Whoever says we should fire Tice needs to just shut the he!! up! Be realisitic about things! If the vikings would fire a coach after every big game loss, we would be working on about our 100th head coach!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Del Rio Guest

Linehan

I don't recall anyone saying to fire Tice, but if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass then he will be gone after his contract is up this year.

As far as Moss getting the ball he did, A lot in fact he kept many drives going with his receptions.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Linehan

Ok, whoever thinks about firing Tice!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast