Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Linebackers

  1. #21
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Linebackers

    Our LBs scored two TDs last week. Enough said.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  2. #22
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Linebackers

    The scary thing is the defense is relatively new, just think about when they get it down pat and play it a few years. It can only get better.

  3. #23
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,818

    Re: Linebackers

    Having Greenway in your stable ready to compete for a starting job next year is a good thing.
    The fact that it won't be easy for him if the LB crew keeps playing well/better is even a better situation.

    With that being said, I would still like to see him takeover weakside and elevate the play at that position.
    One because I like Greenway and agreed with the pick and two I don't think EJ is playing exceptional at this point and I would like to think the talent of a first round pick can exceed his performance.
    I also think that Greenway is a better fit for Tomlin's defense with his coverage abilities.

    It sucks that he will be a second year rookie, yup.

  4. #24
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,686

    Re: Linebackers

    "tastywaves" wrote:
    Having Greenway in your stable ready to compete for a starting job next year is a good thing.
    The fact that it won't be easy for him if the LB crew keeps playing well/better is even a better situation.

    With that being said, I would still like to see him takeover weakside and elevate the play at that position.
    One because I like Greenway and agreed with the pick and two I don't think EJ is playing exceptional at this point and I would like to think the talent of a first round pick can exceed his performance.
    I also think that Greenway is a better fit for Tomlin's defense with his coverage abilities.

    It sucks that he will be a second year rookie, yup.
    I think EJ is a more talented LB than Greenway, he might not turn out as a better player, but talentwise it's EJ hands down. He's got the size, the speed, and turns great at his hips, but he's been out of position a lot in the past, but I think under Tomlin he's going to become a premiere player in the NFL, call me crazy, but I really see that happening, especially after his big play sunday, a real confidence booster.

    I think if Greenway takes anyone's spot it will be Leber.

  5. #25
    sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,505

    Re: Linebackers

    If our LB's keep improving and making key plays at critical times, then I say . . . .Green Who?
    8)

    "No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

  6. #26
    marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Mpls, MN
    Posts
    2,097

    Re: Linebackers

    "Mr" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    Having Greenway in your stable ready to compete for a starting job next year is a good thing.
    The fact that it won't be easy for him if the LB crew keeps playing well/better is even a better situation.

    With that being said, I would still like to see him takeover weakside and elevate the play at that position.
    One because I like Greenway and agreed with the pick and two I don't think EJ is playing exceptional at this point and I would like to think the talent of a first round pick can exceed his performance.
    I also think that Greenway is a better fit for Tomlin's defense with his coverage abilities.

    It sucks that he will be a second year rookie, yup.
    I think EJ is a more talented LB than Greenway, he might not turn out as a better player, but talentwise it's EJ hands down. He's got the size, the speed, and turns great at his hips, but he's been out of position a lot in the past, but I think under Tomlin he's going to become a premiere player in the NFL, call me crazy, but I really see that happening, especially after his big play sunday, a real confidence booster.

    I think if Greenway takes anyone's spot it will be Leber.
    I don't know, man... To me, B.C. seems to be the type of dude to go with the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" philosophy.

    It will come down to an offseason battle. 3 OLBs, 2 starting spots.

    And to think... A few months ago, everyone thought we needed MORE LBs...
    -Sno

  7. #27
    tb04512's Avatar
    tb04512 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Linebackers

    ej has no speed and thats where greenway can help, i liked the pick it was my second option with signing chester i still wouldve liked maroney,,, he's a stud and would be a great compliment... andd in my mind 2 or 3rd rounder defensive players do amazing because they believe they shouldve been picked higher so they push themselves harder.... look at ray edwards, he's doing amazing for a 4th round rookie, and how bout blue our stud 5th rounder......

    Thanks josdin00

  8. #28
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,219

    Re: Linebackers

    Posted on Wed, Oct. 11, 2006

    [size=13pt]STRONG CORPS[/size]

    The Vikings' linebackers were expected to be a weak spot. They're proving their doubters wrong.

    BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press


    Before signing with the Vikings in March, Ben Leber didn't know much about fellow linebackers Napoleon Harris and E.J. Henderson, but it didn't take him long to form an opinion about what generally was regarded as the team's weakest position.

    "I remember telling somebody when I got here, I don't see what the big deal is," Leber said. "Seeing them perform in practice at the minicamps and (voluntary workouts), I didn't see a big question mark at all. I was always kind of confused and miffed by it."

    Sunday, it was the Detroit Lions who were left dazed and confused, as each of the Vikings' linebackers contributed a big play in the come-from-behind, 26-17 victory.

    Harris got things started with a first-quarter interception to stop a Lions drive, but that was just an appetizer.

    The main course was served in the fourth quarter when Leber recovered a Jon Kitna fumble for a touchdown that cut Detroit's lead to 17-16. Henderson followed with a 45-yard interception return for the game-sealing touchdown with 1:31 to play.

    Score one — two, actually — for the Vikings' aggressive new Tampa-2 defense and their once-suspect linebacker corps.

    "It's definitely more fun when you get a chance to get after people," Henderson said. "You know, you get defensive touchdowns, you get sacks, forced fumbles. We're having a good time right now."

    The good times were expected to end this summer for Henderson after the Vikings made linebacker Chad Greenway their No. 1 draft pick. But Henderson was on his way to nailing down the starting weak-side position even before the former Iowa star suffered a season-ending knee injury in the preseason opener.

    The biggest surprise among the linebackers has to be Harris, who lost his starting strong-side job to Keith Newman four games into last season after coming over from Oakland as part of the Randy Moss trade.

    Back at his more natural position of middle linebacker, Harris recorded the first interception of his five-year NFL career Sunday and tied for the team lead with five tackles.

    Why the turnaround?

    "I just think I'm getting the opportunity," he said. "I don't feel I really had that before. I was always looking over my shoulder and never really got comfortable with the scheme. Now I am, and I'm playing good football."

    Defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin predicted as much during the offseason, expressing his confidence in Harris and the other linebackers and dismissing any apprehension.

    One could argue that the Vikings' decision to use their No. 1 draft choice on a linebacker was an admission otherwise, but Harris said he never put much stock in the media concern.

    "It comes with the territory," he said. "You guys report what you guys are thinking, but it's all opinionated. It's our job to go out there and to disprove any opinions that we don't like. If everybody goes out there and plays hard and does their job, people will change their minds."

    If there were any remaining doubters, the Vikings might have won them over with Sunday's four-takeaway performance (including an interception by safety Darren Sharper), which had been the one missing ingredient in the defense.

    "We always strive to be a great defense, and great defenses create turnovers and create great field position for the offense," Leber said. "It's something I felt we lacked a little bit during the first quarter of the season. We wanted to come out and stress that in this last game, and we did that."

    In the process, the Vikings might have ended the questions about their linebackers.

    "I think we're all proving so far this season that it's not an issue," Leber said.

    Just as he knew all along.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #29
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Linebackers

    "ejmat" wrote:
    I think the LBs have played solid for the most part.
    Sometimes I wonder why they play a zone but obviously that's not my call.
    I am very happy with Napo's play thus far but I will stand up and say I still wish we would have trid for Donnie Edwards.
    The main reason is for his leadership ability and how well he knows the game.
    The next reason is the depth.
    I know we have DT and Farwell but that's pretty much as far as it goes.
    If one of the starting 3 goes down, I do believe the defense will be in a heap of trouble.
    I honestly feel like the key to the LB play so far has been Leber.
    He's a solid tackler with good range.
    And a tough guy, too.
    DT did okay, but a prolonged absence of Leber would be a big blow.


    I think Farwell is better than just a special-teams guy, so I'm comfortable with him getting minutes if EJ gets hurt.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  10. #30
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Linebackers

    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    I think the LBs have played solid for the most part.
    Sometimes I wonder why they play a zone but obviously that's not my call.
    I am very happy with Napo's play thus far but I will stand up and say I still wish we would have trid for Donnie Edwards.
    The main reason is for his leadership ability and how well he knows the game.
    The next reason is the depth.
    I know we have DT and Farwell but that's pretty much as far as it goes.
    If one of the starting 3 goes down, I do believe the defense will be in a heap of trouble.
    I honestly feel like the key to the LB play so far has been Leber.
    He's a solid tackler with good range.
    And a tough guy, too.
    DT did okay, but a prolonged absence of Leber would be a big blow.


    I think Farwell is better than just a special-teams guy, so I'm comfortable with him getting minutes if EJ gets hurt.

    =Z=
    I agree with you as far as Leber, Farwell and DT.
    No doubt there.
    However, if one of the starters gets seriously injured I think it will be a big problem.
    I think Napo, Leber and EJ have done great so far this year and I like them as the starters.
    Leber has taken over the leadership in the LB crew and has done fine.
    I was very worried about that before the season started.
    Let's call a dime a dime though.
    Those of us that have watched all the games has seen some problems over the middle in pass defenses.
    Timing patters have worked very well against the Viking defenses.
    True they did a lot better against Detroit but remember that was Detroit.
    Against Chicago and Buffalo there were lapses.
    It is much improved over the last several seasons but they still need work.
    I think when Greenway comes back next year and if we can keep the center of the team stable it will be a force to be reckoned with.
    For now they are doing fine but there's still learning needed.
    That's why I think picking up Edwards would be great for leadership and teaching.
    He knows the game so well and he's very solid.
    He would have also added the proven depth that's well needed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Linebackers... Who do you put where?
    By minvikes01 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-20-2006, 02:27 PM
  2. 06-07 linebackers
    By vikings11_27 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-20-2006, 04:58 PM
  3. Linebackers
    By Vikings Fan At MSU in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 07:53 PM
  4. Linebackers?
    By NeoVikesTX in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 04:51 PM
  5. linebackers the key
    By x-ray jeff in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2004, 03:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •