Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linebackers

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Linebackers

"VikingDawg" wrote:
    Since I am stuck in an area where Saints games rule (not in my book however) and can't watch the Vikes,
    I wanted to get some opinions on our linebackers.
    From what I have heard they have been for the most part solid, making plays and not making dumb penalties...like I said for the most part.
    So, here is a question...only becasue it is a bye week, When Greenway comes back next year...where does he play?
    Who does he take over for?..if he is ready that is.
    With that who of our linebackers has underperformed at all?
    Just curious as to what y'all think!
    I think the LBs have been solid, not spectacular, and have been rescued on some mistakes by the sure tackling of Winfield and Dwight Smith.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

VikingDawg is offline Training Camp

For the most part it seems like we really lack depth...D. Thomas may be the only legitimate back up we can rely on...if anyone goes down for the year...we may be in trouble....I guess this is where we wait for the guy (sorry I don't remember your handle) to chime in about Edwards from S.D.

Also I guess I didn't mean to say that Greenway will "take over"...he will compete for a starting job like everyone else...I just wish we had a beast who could dominate the flow of the game from a defensive stand point ala Ray Lewis or Shawne Merriman.
    Don't meet force with force

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingDawg" wrote:
    For the most part it seems like we really lack depth...D. Thomas may be the only legitimate back up we can rely on...if anyone goes down for the year...we may be in trouble....I guess this is where we wait for the guy (sorry I don't remember your handle) to chime in about Edwards from S.D.

Also I guess I didn't mean to say that Greenway will "take over"...he will compete for a starting job like everyone else...I just wish we had a beast who could dominate the flow of the game from a defensive stand point ala Ray Lewis or Shawne Merriman.
    Funny sh!t!!!

Too late to incorporate Donnie Edwards at this point...besides Nap has alleviated my fears about not having a competent guy in the middle...I have to admit that Tomlin and the defensive coaches knew more than us...it's all good though!!!

As for non-competent backups, what about Heath Farwell...he has looked good in the time that he has been in there.
    I think we have adequate depth at this point...plus there are others out there who could be signed in a backup role...we are not anymore vulnerable than most other teams at this spot.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikingDawg is offline Training Camp

I thought it was you Cajun...but didn't want to point the finger without being 100%...also you gotta talk to your bayou bengals...I gotta root for someone in the SEC...MSU sure isn't cutting it!

Don't meet force with force

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not scared of the depth at the LB position either..

DT and Heath are both fairly solid.. It wouldn't be a huge lose to lose one of our LB's.. With good coaching you can have a few holes and still get by just fine

With that being said I hope to god it doesn't happen, but I wouldn't be too scared

One Love

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    I wasn't saying that I now disgaree with the pick. I've been in disgareement since the moment it happened. I didn't think it was the worst pick in the world, but I didn't like it.

We do still need depth. There were losts of guys we could have drafted at a different time for depth and thus gotten more bang for our buck.

Del wrote

Ok. You think he was a bad pick.

You can't prove it and he can't disprove you.

No big deal, we just wont know what impact he will have for our team for a while. You don't know what bang for our buck we have or what we missed out on until they play and play often.

I can't disagree with you because who knows he may suck it up and we may have gotten better. All I was saying is we needed a LB they took the one they thought was the best for the job. It's a position that is crucial. Why risk a 4th rounder on a LB. We have half jiggly butt LB's they tried to invest in some quality for a change. I appreciate that.

Also I don't know how upset you can be with a draft pick that you yourself graded as an A:
    "Pick 17 Grenway:
    I would have much rather us sign a top free agent here than have to use this pick on a rookie.
    I'm okay with this pick since there weren't many top-quality linebackers when we picked in the second round. Overall Grade: A"

He may come in next season and live up to the A you gave them.

Del way to use facts to stop a stupid rant!

It is so easy for people to second guess Greenway because he is hurt but by far most posters at the time of the draft said the biggest need was linebacker and the Vikings took the best one that was available!

I my self was pushing for Greenway and I stand by it and other people were pushing for Ernie Sims and he has done well for the Lions so far but i still see him out of the league from injury of suspension within a few years.

Other people wanted a running back and some wanted a wide receiver and some wanted a DB in the 1st round, it is easy to second guess but over 20 teams passed on Maroney and the Pat's took them because it was a need as the Vikes took Greenway because it was a need and we had already signed Chester Taylor to a 4 year deal for 16 million dollars.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I am happy with the LB play so far.

For one, they are not sucking like last year.

Two, Nap has been way more than I ever imagined.
    EJ is playing well also.

They keep improving, I get more excited.
    Woodrow excited!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

As I am - usually trying to focus on the positive - I'll say that I'm really happy about the way our LBs have played the run so far.

Also they have been pretty good at hitting their holes, and getting there fast on blitzes. Especially Napo has had some good rushes up the middle.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I think the LBs have played solid for the most part.
    Sometimes I wonder why they play a zone but obviously that's not my call.
    I am very happy with Napo's play thus far but I will stand up and say I still wish we would have trid for Donnie Edwards.
    The main reason is for his leadership ability and how well he knows the game.
    The next reason is the depth.
    I know we have DT and Farwell but that's pretty much as far as it goes.
    If one of the starting 3 goes down, I do believe the defense will be in a heap of trouble.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I have to echo the praise for Napoleon Harris, he's been performing well above expectations at Middle Linebacker. Some of his blitzes have been timed to absolute perfection and I can't recall any massive errors in coverage. I was happy we picked Greenway as Linebacker was our biggest question mark in the off-season, but like most people who support the Vikings I had a soft-spot for Maroney because he was a stud coming out of the University of Minnesota in a position where, before we signed Chester Taylor, we had a big need. Anyway, I'm ecstatic with how the Linebackers are performing so far. While our D-Line is the most dominant part of our defense, the fact that we're not talking about replacing our entire Linebacker Corps is a plus. Remember how inconsistent EJ was over the last 3 seasons? How frustrating it was watching Dontarrious Thomas blow ANOTHER play in pass-coverage? How at times it seemed like Sam Cowart was the only Linebacker who could tackle? All that has quickly become a faded memory and we have a defence to be proud of.

Chad's gonna have a fun time breaking into this starting lineup!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast