Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linebackers

VikingDawg is offline Training Camp

Linebackers

Since I am stuck in an area where Saints games rule (not in my book however) and can't watch the Vikes,
    I wanted to get some opinions on our linebackers.
    From what I have heard they have been for the most part solid, making plays and not making dumb penalties...like I said for the most part.
    So, here is a question...only becasue it is a bye week, When Greenway comes back next year...where does he play?
    Who does he take over for?..if he is ready that is.
    With that who of our linebackers has underperformed at all?
    Just curious as to what y'all think!
    Don't meet force with force

Del Rio Guest

Re: Linebackers

I think the linebacker play has some improving yet. Hard to tell what their assignments are in that zone, but the pass coverage is scary especially when you see a LB trying to run down the field one on one with a WR.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Greenway doesn't "take over" for anyone...he has to beat out someone for his spot.
    But most likely, he will have to compete with EJ in next season's training camp...he was drafted as a weakside LB and he is too small to play the strong side or in the middle.
    Plus, his skill set is tailor-made for the weakside anyway.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

The Linebacker play has been solid. They've blitzed well and clogged been a huge help to stopping the run.

I don't know where Greenway is going to play.
    It's hard to imagine him taking over for anybody right now because they are all doing a pretty solid job.
    There is room for improvement but I'm not sure if the scheme needs improving or if the Linebackers do.
    They are playing very well and I guess he'll fill in for whoever doesn't resigned when their contract is up.

On this note, I'll rant for little bit on how he was a bad draft pick.
    I think we could have moved back and gotten a linebacker of similar quality if that was really what we wanted.
    I, personally, wanted some secondary help because Fred Smoot has been pretty close to worthless for us thus far.
    I'm very glad Fran Foley was fired.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

It does make you second guess the pick.
    Maybe if they had hindsight they would have drafted Maroney (or another RB) if they could have forcasted how well our LB's were going to fit into the Cover 2 (Tomlin) defense.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Del Rio Guest

We still needed a LB anyway. We have no depth and it is arguable that the guys on the field now can get it done for a whole season. It's easy to say you agree or don't agree with the pick, especially when the guy is hurt and not showing us what he can do.

Time will tell.

I wasn't saying that I now disgaree with the pick. I've been in disgareement since the moment it happened. I didn't think it was the worst pick in the world, but I didn't like it.

We do still need depth. There were losts of guys we could have drafted at a different time for depth and thus gotten more bang for our buck.

Del Rio Guest

Ok. You think he was a bad pick.

You can't prove it and he can't disprove you.

No big deal, we just wont know what impact he will have for our team for a while. You don't know what bang for our buck we have or what we missed out on until they play and play often.

I can't disagree with you because who knows he may suck it up and we may have gotten better. All I was saying is we needed a LB they took the one they thought was the best for the job. It's a position that is crucial. Why risk a 4th rounder on a LB. We have half jiggly butt LB's they tried to invest in some quality for a change. I appreciate that.

Also I don't know how upset you can be with a draft pick that you yourself graded as an A:
    "Pick 17 Grenway:
    I would have much rather us sign a top free agent here than have to use this pick on a rookie.
    I'm okay with this pick since there weren't many top-quality linebackers when we picked in the second round. Overall Grade: A"

He may come in next season and live up to the A you gave them.

Haha. I wish I had you're kind of free time to go searching for other people's posts.
    I was talking about draft strategy, not the player.
    I like Greenway and think he'll do well but I would have rather we did something different on draft day.

Del Rio Guest

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    Haha. I wish I had you're kind of free time to go searching for other people's posts.
    I was talking about draft strategy, not the player.
    I like Greenway and think he'll do well but I would have rather we did something different on draft day.
    It wasn't time consuming it was one of the last posts you made.

A) I'm a mod, I have to.
    B) I wanted to see if you were a Culpecker + Moss stroker. Which would in part explain your horrible grades in your other thread.

Didn't take many posts to get my answer, it just so happened you have been handing out exagerated "grades" all along and that one popped up on my mod screen #1. I didn't waste too much of my time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast