Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Linebacker Napoleon Harris Is the Real Prize of the Moss Trade

From the New York Sun...

On March 2, 2005, the Oakland Raiders completed a blockbuster trade to acquire Randy Moss, the NFL's most explosive wide receiver, from the Minnesota Vikings. In return, Oakland gave up the seventh overall pick in that year's draft. The trade hasn't worked out well for the Raiders to say the least. Moss is a malcontent who hasn't played at anywhere near the level he achieved in Minnesota, and the Raiders' offense is so lacking in talent that it's hard to blame Moss for the sad state of affairs in Oakland.

At first glance, the trade wouldn't seem to have worked out well for the Vikings, either. They used that draft pick to select Troy Williamson, who has been an adequate but far from spectacular receiver. With 27 catches for 357 yards and no touchdowns, Williamson hasn't come close to matching the production the Vikings got from Moss.

Fortunately for Minnesota, however, a third player was part of that trade. Linebacker Napoleon Harris seemed like just a minor throw-in at the time of the trade, but halfway through his second season in Minnesota, Harris has quietly become one of the best players on the league's most dominant run defense.

With Harris as the starting middle linebacker, Minnesota has allowed league lows in rushing yards (596), yards a carry (2.7) and rushing first downs (33). At their current pace, the Vikings will allow just 954 rushing yards this season, which would break the 2000 Baltimore Ravens' record for the fewest rushing yards allowed in a 16-game season in NFL history.

More important, in two seasons with Moss on the roster Oakland has won only six games. Moss said last week that he would like to be traded again, but it's hard to imagine any team would want. At 29, Moss should still have a few good years left, but it's clear to anyone who has watched him that he isn't as fast as he was early in his career in Minnesota. Moss has two years remaining on his contract at about $7 million a year, and he simply isn't worth his salary.

Harris will soon find out exactly what he's worth, as he becomes a free agent after this season. Whether the Vikings resign him or he leaves for another team, he'll earn his paycheck in a way Moss hasn't the last two years. When the big trade happened last year, no one would have said this with a straight face, but Harris isn't just a better bargain than Moss. He's a better player.

More at http://www.nysun.com/article/44049
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Linebacker Napoleon Harris Is the Real Prize of the Moss Trade

Interesting and so far . . . acurate read!

It was a mistake to take a WR at #7 because of the inevitable comparisions to MOSS.

T-Will may just make it someday, but it would've been easier not being in the shadow of "THE FREAK"!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

I hope we can resign Harris and Henderson before they become free agents.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Once all the attention is taken off TWill, he'll be alright. He isn't a #1, at least not yet obviously. Sophomore slump and all, next year he'll be alright. Think of Moss: if he had BJ underthrowing him short passes, thereby reigning in his speed, he would NEVER be seen as good. Once we get an arm for TWill to get the ball, he'll grow in confidence, b/c he'll use his speed to get open. Him, Beth, Carter, Marcus will be a darned good corps. And I'm very happy with our LB's. Once Erasmus comes back, that'll help our pass rush EMENSLY (sp?). So, as much as I'd never thought I'd say this, we got the better deal with the Moss trade (seen Moss play recently? He has nearly as many dropped passes as TWill)
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Braddock" wrote:
    Once all the attention is taken off TWill, he'll be alright. He isn't a #1, at least not yet obviously. Sophomore slump and all, next year he'll be alright. Think of Moss: if he had BJ underthrowing him short passes, thereby reigning in his speed, he would NEVER be seen as good. Once we get an arm for TWill to get the ball, he'll grow in confidence, b/c he'll use his speed to get open. Him, Beth, Carter, Marcus will be a darned good corps. And I'm very happy with our LB's. Once Erasmus comes back, that'll help our pass rush EMENSLY (sp?). So, as much as I'd never thought I'd say this, we got the better deal with the Moss trade (seen Moss play recently? He has nearly as many dropped passes as TWill)
    I disagree about our receiving corps for next year. First of all, Williamson has looked awful this year with the drops and all, but let's for the sake of argument say that you are right and he will be better next year.

Bethel is unproven. He's had two decent games so far, but as far as being a #2 guy, he hasn't proven he can do that yet. He's got great speed, but I don't necessarily know if he is a starter.

Marcus Robinson has been our most consistent receiver all year, but let's face it, he'll be going into year 12 next year. That's a little long in the tooth for a receiver.

And where do you pull Carter out of? The guy hasn't even caught an NFL pass yet. He was released, all 31 teams passed on him on waivers and then resigned to the practice squad, was just activated last week on a team whose receivers have been awful, has yet to see an NFL down and you want to say he'll be our 3rd receiver next year? Based on what? Two preseason performaces against 3rd and 4th stringers?

IMO, there is no reason to think, based upon past performances that a corps of Williamson, Bethel, Carter and Robinson would be more effective than it is this year.

The fact is, we need a receiver either in free agency or the draft.

First, the order I listed them was not necessarily the order I would put them, just as they came to me. Just as I can't say Carter will be great, you can't say he won't. I think all the other teams passed on him b/c their WR position is much more set than ours. Maybe their's aren't perfect, but why pick up a guy that's only played preseason? He never worked out for another team, so it's not like they tried him then rejected him. So that's not an indication that he won't make it. He had great poise and confidence in the preseason and THAT's what our corps needs more than anything right now. Confidence. Beth is proving something to me, at least. Come in and learn the system VERY quickly and be productive, that speaks volumes to me. That he works hard and according to his interviews he wants to be here and each completion he has, makes him much more confident in our system and his fit in it. He'll work out well and Carter will work out well. And everyone has to admit that TWill has speed and anyone can catch a ball. HE'll be fine next year. And Marcus will play next season, and next season was what I was talking about, not for eternity.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I guess I'm just not nearly as optimistic as you.

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    I guess I'm just not nearly as optimistic as you.
    That's what being a Vikings' fan is all about

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

I don't think Nap Harris will get a HUGE payday. However I believe we can resign him aat

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

I believe Henderson will eventually be let go.
    Greenway will eventually take his job.
    Thats my prediction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast