Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Limiting fans' access to Vikings training camp is wrong

"AngloVike" wrote:
    The decision to keep fans from watching the first four days of training camp is a mistake. The first three days will include rookies and veterans returning from injuries, and the fourth day will involve every player. What is the harm in letting fans watch these workouts? It's not as if new coach Brad Childress is installing some super-secret plays that will lift the team to the Super Bowl.
    Actually Bob he is, maybe not super-secret, but something very new. Given that I think it's a great idea to let the players get some time in unobserved. Lets face it it's not so much to stop the fans watching as to stop hacks like yourself from jumping over players the first time that they drop the ball, fumble the ball, miss a route/coverage etc. You'll have plenty of time during the rest of camp to do that so why worry about the loss of four days?

Another mistake is limiting fans from getting autographs. Kids and adults used to line up and shove scraps of paper, jerseys and footballs at players as they left the practice field. Players would sign as they walked to the locker room. It never took much time, and it worked. Now, certain players can sign only on certain days.
    and the problem with that is? I've read countless articles where fans complained about the scrum that existed when trying to get autographs - invariably with the kids getting the raw end of the deal. So now something is being done to change things and that's not right for you either. How about waiting to see how it works before you start bitching and whining- who knows the fans might actually think its a good idea, but then again what do they know compared to professionals like yourself?

I was told this is the way the Philadelphia Eagles do it. Why do things have to be done the way the Eagles do it? Can't Childress do some things the way the Vikings have done it?
    Ever considered that other teams do some aspects of things differently because they work? Thats not to say that the Vikes have done everything wrong but how about being open to new ideas, or does that conflict with "I'm a dinosaur" mantra that you subscribe to?

This is a franchise that can use fan support to get a new stadium. Instead of cozying up to what has been a very loyal group of people, the Vikings are giving them the straight-arm. It's wrong, and it will backfire.
    The team has a very loyal fan base already and, if you cared to take a closer look, you'll find that they have been very supportive of the changes and moves made so far. Thats not to say that they see everything through purple glasses but most are willing to see how things work out before jumping on the organisation and players to complain. Thats something that half-decent reporters should do as well - then you wonder why the Vikes have closed off those early days of training camp?
    He wants things done the "Vikings way"....and how has that worked out in the last 30 years pray tell :?: ...I am all for change,whatever it takes to get to the promise land. :wink:

Excellent post....I couldn't have said it better.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

It seems to me I remember something about a year ago where there was a big flap about if you opened up some practices for fans you had to do it for the media and for scouts from other teams? I don't remember the exact details. But I do remember at that time that the Star/Trib was saying how stupid the Vikes were to open the practices to other scouts and give away team "secrets." Of course the only "secrets" the Vikings were going to give away was how terrible a coaching staff they had.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    It seems to me I remember something about a year ago where there was a big flap about if you opened up some practices for fans you had to do it for the media and for scouts from other teams? I don't remember the exact details. But I do remember at that time that the Star/Trib was saying how stupid the Vikes were to open the practices to other scouts and give away team "secrets." Of course the only "secrets" the Vikings were going to give away was how terrible a coaching staff they had.
    That's a prime example of Minnesota media....You're darned if you do and you're darned if you don't :roll:

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    LOL..... the problem was if you charged fans to attend practice then it allowed scouts from other teams to come in freely. I'm not sure what stops them from attending free practices though - anyone know how they are normally restricted ?

Typical TC media though, take the opposite position to what the team do. Does any other team have the local media on their backs in the same way as the Vikes do ?
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    LOL..... the problem was if you charged fans to attend practice then it allowed scouts from other teams to come in freely. I'm not sure what stops them from attending free practices though - anyone know how they are normally restricted ?

Typical TC media though, take the opposite position to what the team do. Does any other team have the local media on their backs in the same way as the Vikes do ?
    They all do. I've lived in NFL markets such as Massachusets (Boston Globe), New York (Post, Daily News) and Washington (Post). *ALL* the newspapers constantly second-guess their football teams. It's what they do. It's how to sell papers.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    The decision to keep fans from watching the first four days of training camp is a mistake. The first three days will include rookies and veterans returning from injuries, and the fourth day will involve every player. What is the harm in letting fans watch these workouts? It's not as if new coach Brad Childress is installing some super-secret plays that will lift the team to the Super Bowl.
    Actually Bob he is, maybe not super-secret, but something very new. Given that I think it's a great idea to let the players get some time in unobserved. Lets face it it's not so much to stop the fans watching as to stop hacks like yourself from jumping over players the first time that they drop the ball, fumble the ball, miss a route/coverage etc. You'll have plenty of time during the rest of camp to do that so why worry about the loss of four days?

Another mistake is limiting fans from getting autographs. Kids and adults used to line up and shove scraps of paper, jerseys and footballs at players as they left the practice field. Players would sign as they walked to the locker room. It never took much time, and it worked. Now, certain players can sign only on certain days.
    and the problem with that is? I've read countless articles where fans complained about the scrum that existed when trying to get autographs - invariably with the kids getting the raw end of the deal. So now something is being done to change things and that's not right for you either. How about waiting to see how it works before you start bitching and whining- who knows the fans might actually think its a good idea, but then again what do they know compared to professionals like yourself?

I was told this is the way the Philadelphia Eagles do it. Why do things have to be done the way the Eagles do it? Can't Childress do some things the way the Vikings have done it?
    Ever considered that other teams do some aspects of things differently because they work? Thats not to say that the Vikes have done everything wrong but how about being open to new ideas, or does that conflict with "I'm a dinosaur" mantra that you subscribe to?

This is a franchise that can use fan support to get a new stadium. Instead of cozying up to what has been a very loyal group of people, the Vikings are giving them the straight-arm. It's wrong, and it will backfire.
    The team has a very loyal fan base already and, if you cared to take a closer look, you'll find that they have been very supportive of the changes and moves made so far. Thats not to say that they see everything through purple glasses but most are willing to see how things work out before jumping on the organisation and players to complain. Thats something that half-decent reporters should do as well - then you wonder why the Vikes have closed off those early days of training camp?

Good post AngloVike!

Some people are just afraid of change and the reporters here are all whining because Tice is no longer here to give them complete access to everything the Vikings do.

And the media always goes to the old cheap shot
    This is a franchise that can use fan support to get a new stadium.
    This has nothing to do with the Vikings trying to get a stadium and neither does how the team does on the field, if they go 15 - 1 or 2 - 14 it has no bearing on if they should get a stadium or not!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

I know that in Wisconsin, the Packers get very little early season blasting. The WI press LOVES the Packers. I don't follow sports writers for other teams, so I can't say about them.

But, honestly, isn't it about time we all wrote to the TC press and asked them to AT LEAST find a sportswriter or two to cover the Vikings who DON'T hate them? I know I'd gladly take the job. It just seems to me that the Press waits with baited breath for the Vikes to fail...at anything. Reminds me a lot of how Roger Marris was treated when he was chasing Babe Ruth's record.

Anglo, I LOVED your post. I bet the weenie doesn't reply to you though.

Caine

Sansevere is a hack, and that entire morning show he's on is utter garbage.

(BTW I used to be an avid listener, got tired of the same B.S. from Tommy B...)
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"VikesFan4Life" wrote:
    Sansevere is a hack, and that entire morning show he's on is utter garbage.

(BTW I used to be an avid listener, got tired of the same B.S. from Tommy B...)
    Why exactly is it "utter garbage"?

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

so bob got his way and the first 4 days will now be open to fans (reported on kfan)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast