Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Limiting fans' access to Vikings training camp is wrong

Posted on Thu, Jul. 13, 2006
    St. Paul Pioneer Press

[size=18px]Limiting fans' access to Vikings is wrong[/size]

What are the Vikings thinking?

The decision to keep fans from watching the first four days of training camp is a mistake. The first three days will include rookies and veterans returning from injuries, and the fourth day will involve every player. What is the harm in letting fans watch these workouts? It's not as if new coach Brad Childress is installing some super-secret plays that will lift the team to the Super Bowl.

"We want to have a big kickoff to camp vs. just a few guys running drills," said Vikings vice president Lester Bagley. "It appears different because we're never done it before. We have a new coach and a new regime, and they want to take advantage of having young players together."

Another mistake is limiting fans from getting autographs. Kids and adults used to line up and shove scraps of paper, jerseys and footballs at players as they left the practice field. Players would sign as they walked to the locker room. It never took much time, and it worked. Now, certain players can sign only on certain days.

I was told this is the way the Philadelphia Eagles do it. Why do things have to be done the way the Eagles do it? Can't Childress do some things the way the Vikings have done it?

This is a franchise that can use fan support to get a new stadium. Instead of cozying up to what has been a very loyal group of people, the Vikings are giving them the straight-arm. It's wrong, and it will backfire.

Bob Sansevere can be reached at [email protected]

Limiting fans' access to Vikings is wrong

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Limiting fans' access to Vikings training camp is wrong

I wouldn't put to much into this.. This is probably just another writer who is pissed off because he has no stories to write about, and wants to give the Vikings another black mark..

Prophet Guest

Poor Bob, his feelings are hurt.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The decision to keep fans from watching the first four days of training camp is a mistake. The first three days will include rookies and veterans returning from injuries, and the fourth day will involve every player. What is the harm in letting fans watch these workouts? It's not as if new coach Brad Childress is installing some super-secret plays that will lift the team to the Super Bowl.
    Actually Bob he is, maybe not super-secret, but something very new. Given that I think it's a great idea to let the players get some time in unobserved. Lets face it it's not so much to stop the fans watching as to stop hacks like yourself from jumping over players the first time that they drop the ball, fumble the ball, miss a route/coverage etc. You'll have plenty of time during the rest of camp to do that so why worry about the loss of four days?

Another mistake is limiting fans from getting autographs. Kids and adults used to line up and shove scraps of paper, jerseys and footballs at players as they left the practice field. Players would sign as they walked to the locker room. It never took much time, and it worked. Now, certain players can sign only on certain days.
    and the problem with that is? I've read countless articles where fans complained about the scrum that existed when trying to get autographs - invariably with the kids getting the raw end of the deal. So now something is being done to change things and that's not right for you either. How about waiting to see how it works before you start bitching and whining- who knows the fans might actually think its a good idea, but then again what do they know compared to professionals like yourself?

I was told this is the way the Philadelphia Eagles do it. Why do things have to be done the way the Eagles do it? Can't Childress do some things the way the Vikings have done it?
    Ever considered that other teams do some aspects of things differently because they work? Thats not to say that the Vikes have done everything wrong but how about being open to new ideas, or does that conflict with "I'm a dinosaur" mantra that you subscribe to?

This is a franchise that can use fan support to get a new stadium. Instead of cozying up to what has been a very loyal group of people, the Vikings are giving them the straight-arm. It's wrong, and it will backfire.
    The team has a very loyal fan base already and, if you cared to take a closer look, you'll find that they have been very supportive of the changes and moves made so far. Thats not to say that they see everything through purple glasses but most are willing to see how things work out before jumping on the organisation and players to complain. Thats something that half-decent reporters should do as well - then you wonder why the Vikes have closed off those early days of training camp?
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Wow! Get something real to bitch about.

I think this is a great idea, I took my son to try to get an autograph two years ago and I could not believe the people pushing others around just to get an autograph. Someone pretty much pushed my son out of the way just to get an autograph and he was only two at the time. Now everyone can enjoy seeing the player up close rather then saying its not worth the trouble and walking away. This is a great idea, i'm glad the vikings have structure to the camp now. This is fan friendly, cuts down on the hogs who will turn around and sell the autograph anyways.
    You republican whore!

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

I don't see the problem, it'll keep they're minds focused and give them a little more time work. Good choice on Childress' part, writers always get mad about stuff like this.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I've been feeling in a pissy mood today .. so that original post of mine just got emailed to Bob Sansevere - just to see what response, if any I get back :twisted:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

haha what a surprise someone from the Trib giving the Vikings more negative press!!!

AngloVike great points, I couldnt agree with you more

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Wiggles67" wrote:
    haha what a surprise someone from the Trib giving the Vikings more negative press!!!

AngloVike great points, I couldnt agree with you more
    This guy isn't from the STrib - he's from the Pioneer Press.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast