Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Have you taken a look at our receiving corps? You can't tell me we put a heavy emphasis on it last year. Two fourth round picks, Simpson and Carlson. Maybe that's because they were never planning on having Ponder to be the focus of our offense.

You don't think that if we had better receivers and a line that gave him better pass protection and we called for him to throw the ball 40 times a game that we wouldn't see better production? That is inane to me.

That is not a statement as to Ponder's ability, it is a statement about the commitment this team has to passing the football. I don't care what skill level you have Ponder graded at.

You can decide that is because of Ponder, but it just may be because Frazier feels that is the way he wants to build the team. I know. It's against today's current thinking that only a pass happy team can lead to success. Well it just may be that the team that controls the football, limits mistakes, plays good defense and special teams can also be a recipe for success. You still need to pass the ball and we need to improve, but maybe Frazier also thought we needed to shore up a bunch of other areas as well and that's just the way the opportunities landed.

This team was not expected to be a complete team this year by most. It is not a complete team. The area that received the least amount of focus in my opinion is with the receivers and QB. They knew that it was going to be a mediocre year at best in passing the ball and that apparently was okay with them.
    I dont' agree... I honestly think they thought drafting 2 wr's in the 4th round (remember Denarious Moore was found in the 4th 2 years ago) in a deep receiver draft and signing Jerome Simpson with Harvin was going to be enough to get us over the hump and have a decent corps. Additionally, I think they thought Ponder would take steps forward.

I highly disagree that they did not put much emphasis on the passing game and that is why it's so bad... they just misjudged the situation and fucked it up royally....

Two different things....

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Seems to me the Bears were able to get Brandon Marshall this year, who happens to be leading the league in receiving.

That's what a pro-active GM does.

Our sits by while the cream of the crop are taken, signs the toaster leavings looking for a diamond in the rough, puts feelers out in the draft & waits for phone calls.
    Even with the success Marshall is having I'm glad they didn't trade for him. 2 third round picks, and 10mill a year contract. The guy is a head case with multiple arrests, and basically booted from 2 different teams, despite his ability on the field. It won't be long before the Bears have enough of him or he gets arrested again and the NFL has had enough of him.

I'd rather give that money to Harvin and 2 third round picks.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    Even with the success Marshall is having I'm glad they didn't trade for him. 2 third round picks, and 10mill a year contract. The guy is a head case with multiple arrests, and basically booted from 2 different teams, despite his ability on the field. It won't be long before the Bears have enough of him or he gets arrested again and the NFL has had enough of him.

I'd rather give that money to Harvin and 2 third round picks.
    Yeah, we were much better off giving Carlson $25 mil for 5 years rather than $28 mil to Marshall for 3. Glad to see that's paying off huge dividends.

We should learn our lessons from signing players with problem pasts like Cris Carter, Moss & JA & stick to pouring money into the pockets of mediocre players who don't have a checkered past.

I wonder if it's possible for Carlson to catch more passes in 1 year than Marshall has done in any 1 of his games against the Vikings this year?
    Last edited by singersp; 12-19-2012 at 06:09 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Yeah, we were much better off giving Carlson $25 mil for 5 years rather than $28 mil to Marshall for 3. Glad to see that's paying off huge dividends.

We should learn our lessons from signing players with problem pasts like Cris Carter, Moss & JA & stick to pouring money into the pockets of mediocre players who don't have a checkered past.

I wonder if it's possible for Carlson to catch more passes in 1 year than Marshall has done in any 1 of his games against the Vikings this year?
    The facts don't lie. In Ponders first 4 starts he was averaging 70 percent competion rating and 100 passer rating with ZERO ints. After those first four games defenses changed the plan of attack on Ponder. They took away the flats and short dink and dunks and made Ponder try and beat them down the field. He has failed miserably not because he does not have any receivers but because he just does not have the NFL arm to complete the deeper passes and defenses KNOW IT. Harvin really exposed this imposter taking away his bubble screen and two yard passes to Harvin that he turned into 10 and 20 padding Ponders stats. THE FUKER CAN'T PLAY. HE DOES NOT HAVE THE ARM TO COMPETE AS A STARTING QB.. AND HE SURELY DOES NOT HAVE THE INTANGIBLES TO COVER THAT RAG ARM UP, LIKE POCKET PRESENCE, READING A DEFENSE, AND BEING A TOTAL PUZZIE THAT WON'T STAND IN THE POCKET AND THROW THE FUKING BALL BECAUSE HE MIGHT GET A BRUISE ON HIS PRETTY FACE HIS NEW WIFE MIGHT NOT LIKE WHEN THEY GO TO MANNY'S FOR DINNER.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I'd honestly rather have Carlson at that price(plus the 2 thirds). Not advocating Carlson, just am strongly against Marshall.
    Each case is unique, but the legal troubles of Moss and Carter don't compare to Marshall. Allen did have 3 DUI's which is very serious, but he had been sober for 18months prior to the trade. Like I said each case is unique.
    Here's Marshall's legal trouble from wiki:
    According to Orlando-Orange County public records (case 48-2004-MM-012392-O), on Halloween 2004, while a student at UCF, Marshall was arrested in Orlando on charges of assault on a law enforcement officer, refusal to obey, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer.[62]

On January 1, 2007, Marshall was present at "The Shelter," a nightclub in Denver, Colorado, along with teammates Javon Walker and Darrent Williams. The trio was attending a birthday party held for and by Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin. As the players were leaving the club in a limousine, Williams was fatally shot in the neck after an unknown assailant opened fire on the vehicle. Willie Clark was later charged with the murder.[63] Walker has stated in interviews that the shooter was likely a nightclub patron whose motive was retaliation after being involved in an altercation with Marshall's cousin earlier that night.[64][65]

On March 26, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Highlands Ranch suburb of Denver on suspicion of domestic violence after his girlfriend reported that following a domestic dispute, Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house.[66] Charges from the incident were later dismissed on May 25, 2007, after Marshall completed anger management counseling.[67]

In the early morning of October 22, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area at the intersection of 14th and Blake St. for driving under the influence of alcohol.[68] A trial was scheduled for September 16, but Marshall instead agreed to a plea bargain four days earlier; he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability impaired.[69] He was sentenced to one-year probation and 24 hours of community service.

On June 12, 2008, Marshall was ticketed for an illegal lane change, then found to be without his license and proof of insurance.[70] The case was eventually dropped as part of a plea bargain for the October 22, 2007 driving incident involving alcohol.[69]

A September 17, 2008 article on CompleteColorado.com stated that the solicitor's office in Fulton County, Georgia filed misdemeanor battery charges on September 10 for an alleged incident on March 4, 2008, in Atlanta, Georgia. Marshall was booked on March 6, then released the next day after posting a $1,000 cash bond.[71] The case was assigned to Judge John Mather in Georgia state court.[72] On August 14, 2009, a jury in Atlanta found Marshall not guilty.[73]

On March 1, 2009, Marshall was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being involved in a fight with his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell. Marshall was released on a $300 bond.[74] The charges were dropped the following day.[75]

On April 23, 2011, Marshall was stabbed near his stomach by his wife, Michi Nogami-Marshall. He was taken to a hospital and was released two days later. He has since made a full recovery.[76][77]

It was later revealed by police that Marshall's wife did make a brief 911 call, but it only described an unspecified emergency and no mention of a stabbing ever took place. She is charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and is free on $7,500 bail.

In a South Florida Sun-Sentinel article published on July 30, 2011, it was revealed that Marshall was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder at Boston's McLean Hospital after his incident with Nogami-Campbell.[78] He is currently pursuing treatment for his mental illness and filming a documentary about his struggle.

On early Sunday, March 11, 2012, two days before his trade to the Bears, Marshall was accused of hitting a woman in the face at a New York club and being involved in a melee. The New York Post stated that Marshall, his wife and some friends were at Marquee when a brawl ensued, and Marshall punched the woman below her left eye, although he may have been attempting to hit the woman's friends.[79] The investigation later ended after a lack of evidence of Marshall's role in the incident.[80]
    He punched a woman in the face two days before the trade.

Add to that two teams have already cut bait with him, even after monster seasons. Where there is smoke there is usually fire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12