Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Limitations of a dynamic tailback

    Last edited by singersp; 12-16-2012 at 08:01 AM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    PacNWVike's Avatar
    PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Richland, WA
    Posts
    2,270
    No doubt, if Peterson were on the upper echelon teams, he would be better. I think Ponder can develop, but how long will Peterson, Williams, Allen, etc., perform? Should we trade Peterson to a team that is ready for a true run for The Ring and continue to rebuild with the draft picks we receive?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

  3. #3
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,955
    I think this stat is very misleading.. mostly bc Ponder would be in a world of more shit if we didn't have AD. AD is getting his regardless of how Ponder plays... so thats not the point.. However, of course Ponder's going to have more of an impact on whether we win or loose. he's the QB. and handles the ball more than anyone else on the team. when he kills us with key interceptions esp. in close games we're less likely to win... this is an apples and oranges comparison.

  4. #4
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    I think this stat is very misleading.. mostly bc Ponder would be in a world of more shit if we didn't have AD. AD is getting his regardless of how Ponder plays... so thats not the point.. However, of course Ponder's going to have more of an impact on whether we win or loose. he's the QB. and handles the ball more than anyone else on the team. when he kills us with key interceptions esp. in close games we're less likely to win... this is an apples and oranges comparison.
    I think Ponder would have better stats if we didn't have AP, but we probably would have less wins. That is providing our focus was more on the passing game then what we have currently.

    If the team's focus going into this year was a passing offense, it would probably be performing better from a stats standpoint. This is assuming we also focused on surrounding Ponder with better talent, focused the line on pass protection more and deciding we are going to be a team that emphasize the pass more that what we currently do. It also means we would probably be going backwards in the running game.

    We have emphasized an offense that can effectively run the ball and augment with a passing game. Whereas the passing game has no doubt failed to deliver to expectations, I'm guessing they are quite happy with the type of performance they received from Ponder on Sunday. I doubt they look at the fact that he only threw for 130 yards and say that is not going to cut it.

    Question. What was Adrian's worse stats year (using YPC)?

  5. #5
    purplehelmut's Avatar
    purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central WV
    Posts
    480
    I agree apples and oranges. But it points out the fact that we can't score out of the passing game. AD plays well win or lose.

  6. #6
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,880
    No doubt, he's key for us this season and probably not sustainable. The passing game needs to improve if we are going to work through adversity.

  7. #7
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I think Ponder would have better stats if we didn't have AP, but we probably would have less wins. That is providing our focus was more on the passing game then what we have currently.

    If the team's focus going into this year was a passing offense, it would probably be performing better from a stats standpoint. This is assuming we also focused on surrounding Ponder with better talent, focused the line on pass protection more and deciding we are going to be a team that emphasize the pass more that what we currently do. It also means we would probably be going backwards in the running game.

    We have emphasized an offense that can effectively run the ball and augment with a passing game. Whereas the passing game has no doubt failed to deliver to expectations, I'm guessing they are quite happy with the type of performance they received from Ponder on Sunday. I doubt they look at the fact that he only threw for 130 yards and say that is not going to cut it.

    Question. What was Adrian's worse stats year (using YPC)?
    I highly doubt our lack of focus on the passing game are the reason POnder has such shitty stats.... I mean, that's just blatantly ridiculous. You mean to tell me that bc we have AD we didn't draft a receiver, or try to sign a better one, or didn't focus on improving the passing game...

    That's just an insane comment IMO... no offense. but i think it's just wrong and ridiculous to say that. Ponder just isn't very good. And honestly, if we didn't have AD, Ponder's stats could very well be even worse...

    Remember, Most of Ponder's good games came with Percy in the lineup and turning short throws into long gains... plus the attention to AD has Ponder throwing to guys in single coverage a lot of times, although they are mostly underneath throws...

  8. #8
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    I highly doubt our lack of focus on the passing game are the reason POnder has such shitty stats.... I mean, that's just blatantly ridiculous. You mean to tell me that bc we have AD we didn't draft a receiver, or try to sign a better one, or didn't focus on improving the passing game...

    That's just an insane comment IMO... no offense. but i think it's just wrong and ridiculous to say that. Ponder just isn't very good. And honestly, if we didn't have AD, Ponder's stats could very well be even worse...

    Remember, Most of Ponder's good games came with Percy in the lineup and turning short throws into long gains... plus the attention to AD has Ponder throwing to guys in single coverage a lot of times, although they are mostly underneath throws...

    Have you taken a look at our receiving corps? You can't tell me we put a heavy emphasis on it last year. Two fourth round picks, Simpson and Carlson. Maybe that's because they were never planning on having Ponder to be the focus of our offense.

    You don't think that if we had better receivers and a line that gave him better pass protection and we called for him to throw the ball 40 times a game that we wouldn't see better production? That is inane to me.

    That is not a statement as to Ponder's ability, it is a statement about the commitment this team has to passing the football. I don't care what skill level you have Ponder graded at.

    You can decide that is because of Ponder, but it just may be because Frazier feels that is the way he wants to build the team. I know. It's against today's current thinking that only a pass happy team can lead to success. Well it just may be that the team that controls the football, limits mistakes, plays good defense and special teams can also be a recipe for success. You still need to pass the ball and we need to improve, but maybe Frazier also thought we needed to shore up a bunch of other areas as well and that's just the way the opportunities landed.

    This team was not expected to be a complete team this year by most. It is not a complete team. The area that received the least amount of focus in my opinion is with the receivers and QB. They knew that it was going to be a mediocre year at best in passing the ball and that apparently was okay with them.

  9. #9
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916
    The reason the WR position was not addressed was what was available.
    D. Jackson / Bowe were resigned or Tagged
    Garcon got large money, V. Jackson got obscene money.
    Who was left? Wayne who resigned and is older.
    I was a big supporter of this team addressing WR in the 2nd round or using our 3rd and a fouth to move back into the 2nd round.. However, I must say that I ate much crow after the drafting of Robinson and Harrison. My issue was the money wasted on Carlson. That 3-5 million a year could be tied to another 4 million this season to net us a damn good WR. After all, what is the fall off from Ellison and Carlson.

  10. #10
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    The reason the WR position was not addressed was what was available.
    D. Jackson / Bowe were resigned or Tagged
    Garcon got large money, V. Jackson got obscene money.
    Who was left? Wayne who resigned and is older.
    I was a big supporter of this team addressing WR in the 2nd round or using our 3rd and a fouth to move back into the 2nd round.. However, I must say that I ate much crow after the drafting of Robinson and Harrison. My issue was the money wasted on Carlson. That 3-5 million a year could be tied to another 4 million this season to net us a damn good WR. After all, what is the fall off from Ellison and Carlson.
    Seems to me the Bears were able to get Brandon Marshall this year, who happens to be leading the league in receiving.

    That's what a pro-active GM does.

    Ours sits by while the cream of the crop are taken, signs the toaster leavings looking for a diamond in the rough, puts feelers out in the draft & waits for phone calls.
    Last edited by singersp; 12-19-2012 at 05:38 AM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •