Posted on Fri, Nov. 10, 2006

Vikings will get look at Packers' version Sunday

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Like it or not, zone blocking is here

I know the issue of chop blocks was discussed a lot in the off-season when GB announced they were going to use it, so will be interesting to see how our DL handle it.
    I know Del has no problems with it being employed by offenses when used correctly and I agree with him as to how we can play against it. My only concern is we're playing the Pack, in a divisional game, with them having rookie OL players and both teams wanting a win badly. I just hope we don't get any serious injuries as a result of this being used.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]Vikings: Zone blocking offers something for everyone[/size]

The tactic for freeing running backs will be used by both the Packers and the Vikings on Sunday, but to differing degrees.

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: November 11, 2006 – 12:31 AM

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

It not the zone blocking that is the problem, it is the cut block that is the problem.
    Using a zone blocking technique puts the O-lineman in a position that he can use the cut block more, he doesn't have to but chooses too!
    The lineman could stay up and try blocking the D-lineman above the waist and try to control them that way, but it is easier to through yourself at the guys knee and try to take him out of the play.

After years of listening to Packer fans say how they were so morally superior and then to have their team doing this and their fans thinking it's OK is ludacris and the Packer fans should be embarrassed for their teams CHEAP play!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

Nothing wrong with the cut block. Nothing "Immoral" about it or dirty. The Vikings do it to and as long as it is within the rules then it is fair game. The defensive line will just have to come prepared.

It is ok and it is not ludacris, it has been a part of football since the begining and the rules are in place to protect against the illegal version. This is perfectly legal and it is laughable that you are calling packer fans ludacris for supporting a legal technique that the Vikings even use albeit to a lesser extent.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy acknowledged this week that his team will cut block Vikings defensive tackles Kevin and Pat Williams on Sunday, and Hicks made it clear the Vikings don't shy away from the method either.

"Any time that you have a chance to get a guy down, get at his legs and take a little bit of the steam out of him, you try," Hicks said. "Whether it's zone blocking, man or whatever. It will be a long day if you can just let defensive linemen tee off on you. We are always looking for ways to take steam out of guys. That's a good way of doing it."

I've been saying it all year, every single team in the NFL cut blocks. Get over it.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

i hope pat williams sees them trying to cut block then,back off a little and step on him when he's down haha and while he's running over him call him a stupid packer b***h ;D

Thanks josdin00