Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Letter from a fan.

This is an open letter to Zigi Wilf,Brad Childress,Rick Spielman,Scott Studwell, and all the Vikings scouts.
    I have been a supporter of the current Vikings plan to build a team primarily through the draft.
    I am impressed with the results of the 2007 draft.Great job.
    But I'm left with a huge nagging question I feel needs answered.

Last year Childress said " it all starts upfront."

But last year it appeared to , all END up front.The pass protection was atrocious.Especially on the right side of the line.

Not upgrading the right side of the offensive line marginalizes the potent offensive aquisitions you aquired in this draft.

Vikingsw fans talk about the good old days when they had Chris Carter, Randy Moss, Reed, and Culpepper.
    What they rarely acknowledge is the state of the offensive line. The Vikings had the best offensive line in the league at that time.
    They had to be.
    Culpepper took 4 to 6 seconds to release the ball much of the time.

We now have inexperienced marginal quarterbacks. They need that protection.
    Last year they were lucky to have have 3 seconds.

Receivers can't consistantly get open in 3 seconds. And quarterbacks can't make their reads and release in 3 seconds.

Brad Johnson didn't just suddenly get old overnight!
    He had little to no protection.

So, as a fan, I like the off season approach in every other area.

But the question remains.

How do you win with the right side of the offensive line you have?

Why not maximize the potential of your offensive draft picks
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Letter from a fan.

Fair questuion however. Part of it(most IMO) is from players playing out of postion. Jonson is a Guard, Why they have him at Tackle is beyind me. When he was drafted he was projected to play a guard because of his lack of range as a tackle. move him back to guard where he will thrive. Who plays Rt that is a good question. Hicks maybe but its not really his natuarl position either. He is more of a solid Back-up that can play there in a pinch. Cook is learning a new position Rt of the future? Maybe. Rosenthal was maybe their best choice, unfortuantly, but he is gone(thankfully). Hopeful;ly there will be a player that will be signed as an UDFA who will stand out or a solid vet that is released so that Cook who is probably our best option can develop or we draft one next year.

One way to make our pass protection better is to make teams pay when they blitz us. It isn't necessarily all about blocking.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"Garland" wrote:
    Fair questuion however. Part of it(most IMO) is from players playing out of postion. Jonson is a Guard, Why they have him at Tackle is beyind me. When he was drafted he was projected to play a guard because of his lack of range as a tackle. move him back to guard where he will thrive. Who plays Rt that is a good question. Hicks maybe but its not really his natuarl position either. He is more of a solid Back-up that can play there in a pinch. Cook is learning a new position Rt of the future? Maybe. Rosenthal was maybe their best choice, unfortuantly, but he is gone(thankfully). Hopeful;ly there will be a player that will be signed as an UDFA who will stand out or a solid vet that is released so that Cook who is probably our best option can develop or we draft one next year.
    i agree 100% to moving johnson to guard i think he would be avery good guard in this league.. but we would still need to addess the rt position

Thanks josdin00

"Garland" wrote:
    Jonson is a Guard, Why they have him at Tackle is beyind me.
    Johnson started at right guard the first four games of his rookie season.
    He was demolished physically.
    He simply wasn't strong enough to match up against NFL DTs at that time.
    He moved to RT that season and performed better at that position.
    When the new regime came in, they kept him there.
    Would he be able to hack it at guard now?

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Brad Johnson didn't just suddenly get old overnight!
    I don't know if I agree with this.
    Brad didn't have the range or velocity in 2006 that he did in 2005.
    He's old.
    It happens.
    That's what I saw anyway, in addition to poor line play.

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Last year Childress said " it all starts upfront."

But last year it appeared to , all END up front.The pass protection was atrocious.Especially on the right side of the line.

Not upgrading the right side of the offensive line marginalizes the potent offensive aquisitions you aquired in this draft.
    Last year, analysts thought the Vikes line should have been one of the league's best.
    It wasn't.
    It was, as you said, atrocious.

That being said, I think the coaching staff is satisfied with the talent level of the guys they have.
    McKinnie is often overrated, but is probably one of the top 10 or 15 left tackles in the league.
    Hutchinson obviously is talented.
    Birk has been a pro bowler.
    I don't think the Vikings could have been looking to upgrade these positions in the draft.

On the right side, Childress is comfortable with Hicks as a solid right guard based on his experience in Philly.
    They drafted Cook, and started him at RT the last three games, so I think they're sold on him being acceptable.
    Johnson started most of last season at RT, and I think they're expecting him to do so again.
    I'm thinking the coaches figured it would take a second round or higher pick to upgrade at RG or RT based on this - and even that would probably only produce a competition rather than a true upgrade.
    Given our other needs, I think the choice they made is probably the correct one.

Another aspect of O-line play is that NFL lines that stay together for awhile generally are better than patchwork lines.
    I think we could see substantial improvement this year, based in part on the progression of the individual players, but also on their cohesiveness as a unit.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php...&topic=32984.0

Don't want to ping my own thread, however, I think it is pertinent for the discussion.

Basic confusion is twofold.

1. Size of our OL and Zone Blocking scheme.
    2. Time that is required to institute it.

Yes, our OL are big, but if you look at the data in the thread you will find out that they are indeed FASTER than Denvers OL.
    The supposed poster child(children) for ZB.

Additionally, you just don't go to a Zone Blocking scheme without a bit of pain involved.
    It is a very complex system that is hard to learn.

Long story short..........
    It will be a better line this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I think that keeping continuity on the offensive line is important. I'm fine with a starting lineup of McKinnie, Hutchinson, Birk, Cook, and Johnson. All of those players have the physical tools to be great (I believe all are above 6' 5"), and after playing together for a year should gel a lot better. If not, trade Dwight Smith and Mewelde Moore for Alan Faneca
    ;D

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    I think that keeping continuity on the offensive line is important. I'm fine with a starting lineup of McKinnie, Hutchinson, Birk, Cook, and Johnson. All of those players have the physical tools to be great (I believe all are above 6' 5"), and after playing together for a year should gel a lot better. If not, trade Dwight Smith and Mewelde Moore for Alan Faneca
    ;D
    I think that Cook will be the RT this season...and Hicks and Johnson will battle it out for RG...hopefully Marcus hit the weights this offseason!

I like the trade idea...in theory...but we can't afford another contract like the one that Faneca wants...he wants one like all the rest of the FA guards got this season.
    So forget about seeing Faneca in purple and gold.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    ;D
    I think that Cook will be the RT this season...and Hicks and Johnson will battle it out for RG...hopefully Marcus hit the weights this offseason!

I like the trade idea...in theory...but we can't afford another contract like the one that Faneca wants...he wants one like all the rest of the FA guards got this season.
    So forget about seeing Faneca in purple and gold.
    My sense is Cook will improve at RT and do a decent job.

I think the line as a unit will improve with time.

But this statement that Johnson is going to excel at left guard is like saying Troy Williamson is going to become sure handed this year!

Where did Childress or anyone else say he would be moved to guard? I must have missed that.

Johnson was benched last year and Hicks doesn't pass protect.

So the question remains.

What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    ...Troy Williamson is going to become sure handed this year!
    Troy Williamson is going to become sure handed this year.
    You heard it here first, mark it down.
    jargomcfargo predicts a break out year for TWill! ;D j/k
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast