Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Lets talk a Little Defense

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I don't think we can blame our poor D on denny green! Yes, he was an offensive minded coach and usually chose high picks on the offensive side of the ball, but he did choose some young talent in the first round on the defensive side of the ball too, they just never panned out!! He did choose Hovan, and I don't think he is a total bust, he has (for the past couple of years) been the only threat we've had on defense so he gets double teamed. You can't say that he's bad for not beating double teams all the time, can you? Also Dennis Green drafted that Alexander guy out of Florida State, and he never really panned out as a great sack master like he should have been and he was either a first rounder or a second rounder. I think that year we could have drafted Warren Sapp, but we took Alexander instead. Finally, I hate to even bring up the name, but Dmitrius Underwood, was a first or second round pick. The thing with Denny was that he had a knack for talent on the offensive side of the ball (ie Robert Smith, Moss, Culpepper, Bennett, and Carter even though we didn't draft him).

Are you serious or joking? Green was unable to find good D players in the draft, with one exception, Hovan(and the jury is still out on him). You named a bunch of d players that denny drafted, that stunk in the NFL, and that is denny's fault. He wasn't good at judging D talent out of college. When we had a good offense and good QB's and WR's, tice drafted Moss and daunte. We desperately needed better d players those years, but he drafted a backup QB and a WR who was basically used as our #3 WR that season. Now, I am not at all upset that we have Moss and daunte, I am just giving examples of how denny continued to draft offensive talent, even when they weren't gonna start, instead of drafting some D players who would start. KC did the same thing last year, when they decided to waste their 1st round pick on larry johnson, when their D had many many holes on it. They could have gotten an onterrio smith or a dominick davis much later in the draft, and taken a D player in the 1st round. Now look at KC's team last year, didn't it look very similar to a denny green viking team?

The reason why it was gonna take 2 or 3 years for tice to turn this team around, was because of all the lack of talent denny left him on D. Denny left him a bunch of crappy CB's, old safeties, and a bad D-line. Tice has built our D-line, D secondary, and our LB's in his 3 years. It is unbelievable how much more talent we have on our d now that Tice has taken control of our team, than when denny had our team. tice has been able to find good D players in different rounds of the draft, and also bring in good d players through FA, and denny never did this.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I am 100% serious muchluv! Like I said in my post, Denny was a lot better at finding talent on the offensive side of the ball and so that is what he drafted. How many vikings fans were pumped when he drafted Daunte? I for one was not, we could have had Jevon Kearse. But, now look what he has turned into, a two time pro bowl QB. We don't even have to talk about Moss. I did also say that he chose defensive players, but they just never panned out. I don't know what you want me to say!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

TWISTED is offline Training Camp

This Defense will not be great. But what it will be good enough, mainly b/c they will continue to make big plays. Sacks, INT's, and fumbles. They still will be soft up the middle with two DT's who are more of the undersized pass rushing John Randle types. Behind them is a totally unproven EJ in his first year as a starter. I expect to get ripped up the gut all year, until Cotrell sells out with non stop run blitz. It will result in tackles for a loss occasionally, but if you miss one tackle its a gain of 20. The two things that they need to concentrate on are wrapping up, and pressure off the corners. Both have been awful over the past 10 years or so. Maybe this kid from USC will bring the heat off the corner but only time will tell. This is bound to be a "finesse" ball hawking defense, not a a monster shut down defense. But if we continue to get points off of turnovers, it should be good enough to get us to the playoffs.
    cf7231f7c41f3d4c4e95634c9d920584

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I am 100% serious muchluv! Like I said in my post, Denny was a lot better at finding talent on the offensive side of the ball and so that is what he drafted. How many vikings fans were pumped when he drafted Daunte? I for one was not, we could have had Jevon Kearse. But, now look what he has turned into, a two time pro bowl QB. We don't even have to talk about Moss. I did also say that he chose defensive players, but they just never panned out. I don't know what you want me to say!

True he did try and draft d players, but he also had offensive guys prioritized ahead of d players. He would almost always go for an offensive player in the first round, over a D player in a position we needed. Tice has done a much better job of using his early draft picks on D players. My biggest point on denny, was that while he did draft some D players, he wasn't good at all at evaluating them and they pretty much all were failures.

Also, I am glad now that we have Moss and daunte, but we should have taken d players instead of them at the time. Well, maybe not moss, since he was a top 5 talent that we got much later than he should have been taken. Daunte definately shouldn't have been drafted ahead of a D player. Denny didn't spend enough on our D. This is why tice has needed 2 or 3 years to rebuild the team, because denny left no good d players on the team, except for a few who were old.

I do see what you are saying though, I just think that denny was a poor judge of d talent and that is why we have had bad D's for so long. Tice is slowly turning that around, and we will be much improved again this year.

I agree with you muchluv on your first and third paragraphs. Hindsight is 20/20 though, and I am glad that Denny took the risks that he took on both Moss and Daunte. I am liking what Tice has done in the draft, except for the whole being late thing!! If we give that D time to gel (all those young guys) they could (key word COULD) turn into a D like Tampa had with Lynch, Sapp, Brooks, Barber, etc. That would be fun to watch!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I agree with you muchluv on your first and third paragraphs. Hindsight is 20/20 though, and I am glad that Denny took the risks that he took on both Moss and Daunte. I am liking what Tice has done in the draft, except for the whole being late thing!! If we give that D time to gel (all those young guys) they could (key word COULD) turn into a D like Tampa had with Lynch, Sapp, Brooks, Barber, etc. That would be fun to watch!!

Actually with us being late on those 2 drats, it helped us a lot. We saved a bunch of money on Kevin Williams, and we got mcKinnie instead of the average ryan sims. I am actually happy that we did that, even though it made us look bad, that kind of sucked.

VKG4LFE
    I am liking what Tice has done in the draft, except for the whole being late thing!! If we give that D time to gel (all those young guys) they could (key word COULD) turn into a D like Tampa had with Lynch, Sapp, Brooks, Barber, etc. That would be fun to watch!!

no one could have put it any better
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

Thanks Casper!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123