Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Lets talk a Little Defense

I think our d is decent and improving. Even though they were herrendous at times last year, they showed great improvement through the last four games of the season giving up 20 points at the most to one of the best offenses in the league. Everything else is under that number.

I was suprised to see one of the magazines (athlon sports i believe or sporting news) having our d ranked at 13. :shock:
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I don't think we can blame our poor D on denny green! Yes, he was an offensive minded coach and usually chose high picks on the offensive side of the ball, but he did choose some young talent in the first round on the defensive side of the ball too, they just never panned out!! He did choose Hovan, and I don't think he is a total bust, he has (for the past couple of years) been the only threat we've had on defense so he gets double teamed. You can't say that he's bad for not beating double teams all the time, can you? Also Dennis Green drafted that Alexander guy out of Florida State, and he never really panned out as a great sack master like he should have been and he was either a first rounder or a second rounder. I think that year we could have drafted Warren Sapp, but we took Alexander instead. Finally, I hate to even bring up the name, but Dmitrius Underwood, was a first or second round pick. The thing with Denny was that he had a knack for talent on the offensive side of the ball (ie Robert Smith, Moss, Culpepper, Bennett, and Carter even though we didn't draft him).

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

At the moment the Vikes D could be classed as decent with the potential to vastly improve and maybe push themselves to the level needed for a championship team.
    We've been down this road before, new OC and schemes, some new players and high expectations. Each time before we've been disappointed and seen the promise fall short. This year is the same with the arrival of Cottrell, high defensive draft pick and the signing of several veteran players.
    There are several questions to be answered and we may have to wait until the preseason games to see any inkling of answers. Firstly is whether Winfield can give us a genuine confidence in a Vikes DB to take on the opposing #1 WR. Secondly is can Udeze step up to the Pro's and help the DL finally get consistent pressure on the QB. If we have three of the front four causing problems then that can only be good for the DB's. Thirdly can Henderson step up and take over Biekert's job at MLB and lead the unit in only his second year as a Pro. He showed promise last year but will his off-field problems this year cause him problems.
    Lastly is whether Cottrell has the personnel to run the schemes that he wants to. On paper the players may look good but if they can't gel as a unit for his defensive plays then we could see problems.
    I really hope that this is the year that we finally get a defence that doesn't make us cringe or send up our blood pressure when they take to the field. We have the offense to put points on the board and if we get a D that is at least in the top 10 then anything is possible this coming season.
    A good indicator of this will be the time we see them on the field, personally I would love to see as little as possible of them. Not because I favour the offensive players but it would mean that the D was doing its job and keeping the other teams offensive unit out of the game.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Very good synopsis (wow that's a big word, I hope I used it correctly) Anglovike!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

I would agree and from the poll it look as though we all know it is going to be the coaching staff that pushes the players to work at it and make it happen, the players will do their job as long as they are lead the right way and have their internal goal to achive. we will see as Anglovike has stated
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

owensforpres is offline Pro-Bowler

i hope we can say or d is great this yr, then we can finally be respected like the d of the past
    699966daa73d890a9f6ec440ad82bccc

Is anyone going to answer the guys questoin? He asked were he could find info on the Vikes! Where he could read up on them. I'm from Kentucky and i would like to know as well. :scratch:
    6949da5ce3db19514b6088f4f00ffabd

Purple D is offline Starter

I could see our defense becoming great, but It might take one or two more years to achieve this greatness. But if it is going to be great I would have to say it is going to take a group effort for it to happen. We will need all of the above to be on the same page. :P
    Four score and seven years ago, Brad Childress has brought upon this team, a west coast offense, conceived in San Francisco, and Dedicated to be a Kick jiggly butt offence. We are now engaged in an NFL season, testing weather that offense can get going or that our defense can long endure.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

"arialassault84" wrote:
    Is anyone going to answer the guys questoin? He asked were he could find info on the Vikes! Where he could read up on them. I'm from Kentucky and i would like to know as well. :scratch:
    Well Viking Update is the best place for in depth info, it's $7.95/month for the online subscription and I think around $40 for a 6 month deal. You also get access to every single teams insider page. It's a good deal.

Sportingnews.com website and the magazine have guys that analyze each team and give updates about things like position battles, individual player performance, etc.

Athlon Sports and Lindy's Football magazine both have team by team breakdowns by offense, defense, special teams and even coaching and management.

That's just for starters, there are a lot of others out there.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

Thanks SDvikefan I'll check them out
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast