Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Let's be clear: Any new QB is a backup QB

Let's be clear: Any new Vikings QB is a backup Vikings QB

Let's be clear: Any new Vikings QB is a backup Vikings QB | StarTribune.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Frazier continues to laud the drive and equanimity Ponder showed in aiding the Vikings' four-game winning streak to end the season and told the 25-year-old quarterback to bottle that progress as he heads into the offseason.
    Great, we have a QB better known for his equanimity than his skill set. I wonder how many Lombardi's his equanimity will lead us to. And when your only role is to not turn the ball over and hand it off to AD, you can hardly call that "aiding". Holy cow! Did you see that hand off! That was a pro bowl caliber hand off right there.

Vikings got a glimpse at just how shaky things can become when backup Joe Webb proved wildly inaccurate and too easily flustered on his way to an 11-for-30, 180-yard, one-touchdown, one-interception night.
    As awful as Webb looked in that playoff game, it was statistically similar to 3 of Ponder's final 4 games. You know, the 4 games that everyone likes to point to as proof of Ponder's improvement. The games where he had a grand total of 91, 131, 174, and 234 yards passing. Yeah, I guess when you set the bar so low, that would look like improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    As awful as Webb looked in that playoff game, it was statistically similar to 3 of Ponder's final 4 games. You know, the 4 games that everyone likes to point to as proof of Ponder's improvement. The games where he had a grand total of 91, 131, 174, and 234 yards passing. Yeah, I guess when you set the bar so low, that would look like improvement.
    In the first 3 of the last 4 games, Ponder threw for a grand total of 397 yards & 1 TD in those 3 games combined.

Last year 3 of the 5 starting rookie QB's did almost that total or better than that in 1 single game.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    The games might be statistically similar, but that is where the similarity ends. Webb had -4 passing yards to end the first half. All (literally) of his passing yards came in garbage time. IN fact Webb didn't even get positive passing yardage until well into the third quarter when we were already down 24-3.

You can complain about Ponder all you want - he isn't high on my list of favorites right now either. But to even pretend that at any point in 2012 he played as poorly as Webb did in that playoff game is off the mark. Webb put in the single worst performance I have ever seen by a quarterback in a NFL game.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Trade for Colt McCoy
    We're bringing purple back.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    This is why Frazier did not get his extension. Frazier will go down with the ship if Ponder fails.
    Spielman should go right along with him if that should occur but probably wouldn't.
    I hope Ponder gets his game in order. He will have to overcome the pedestrian receiver corps Spielman provides as well as the inexplicable tendency of Musgrave to move away from things that have been working once he gets to the red zone.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    I went to the combine this year for the QB day. Saw them all throw in person. Even talked to Bill Musgrave (who promised me that things will get better next year)! I think we should take a flyer on Landry Jones. Definitely a questionable decision maker. But he was one of only 3 guys that could make NFL throws. He can make every NFL throw in the book. Tons of velocity and height on his passes. Not slinging bullets like most college guys trying to cover up a weak arm. Glennon was by far the most overrated. Also really liked what I saw from Tyler Bray.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    Also really liked what I saw from Tyler Bray.
    I love me some Skyler Grey

[QUOTE=NodakPaul;1136511Webb put in the single worst performance I have ever seen by a quarterback in a NFL game.[/QUOTE]

You're too young to remember Gary Cuozzo against the Lions in 1971.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I would like to see the team use a late round pick on Peter Lalich. May bomb out but just maybe....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast