Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Let's clean house and build a new team! Who should stay?

"JDante" wrote:
    I_Bleed_Purple, what makes you think that Culpepper has the potential to do very very good this next upcoming year?
    just the whole fact that the year before he threw for 4700+ yards and 39 td's and would have been league mvp if it weren't for manning DESPITE the fact that moss was injured for about 6 games. you just don't lose that. I think that last year was an off year for him and he'll come back and do well again, mabye not as well as 2005, but good.

if the line can get straightened up and actually protect, culpepper will get more time to throw and not have to rush his throws which is what i think was his problem. if you notice the games that the line played well, cpep played well. if he can get his confidence back up he can be a force again.

"JDante" wrote:
    and whoeva said that none of our recievers stand out but none of them are really bad either really should edit that post. Marcus Robinson and Travis Taylor were the actual STATISTICAL leaders. But when your two best recievers combine for NINE touchdowns, which is about half of what ONE good reciever can get in a year, you have a bad reciever core. Jermaine Wiggins was a good go to guy, his numbers werent that great but his ingame performance was. Out of all the guys catching the ball out there the only one that actually needs to stay in order to contribute to the teams overall success is Jermaine Wiggins. Koren Robinsons statistics as a Wide Reciever aint nothin pretty, but as a Return Man well, he made the probowl am i right? That just about sums up our recieving rosters.
    so i guess that the fact that for the first half of the season the guy throwing the ball was connecting more with the db's than the wr's and then a guy who averaged 140 ypg passing had nothing to do with the poor performance by the WR's.

the WRs only played poorly because they weren't given a chance to play well. towards the second half of the season we ran a very conservative offense so most of the routes were short ins, outs, slants, hooks, comebacks, etc. its fairly hard to get YAC on those unless your wide open.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Quarterbacks?-------------------------------------
    Keep 'em: JOHNSON. He has the experience in this "new" offense and has a ring. Probably has 2 or 3 seasons left in the tank . . . IF . . . he doesn't get his head knocked off & our "O" line will block. He's smart, can read coverages, and gets the job done.

Get 'em: Our Future QB. Maybe in the draft or maybe in FA. If not this season, then next.

Get 'em: Another Veteran QB to B/U Johnson. Someone in the Ferrotte mold. Steady. Experienced.

Lose 'em: CULPEPPER. Too expensive and we can use the money to bolster the team elsewhere. WAY too many turnovers & dumb reads. He had 7 years.

Running backs?---------------------------------
    Keep 'em: SMITH. Hopefully he's learned his lesson. If not we're in a bit of a pickle. Moore doesn't appear to be a 20-30 carries-per-game back. Approaching Bennett-esque territory. Will Chuck Foreman come out of retirement?

Get 'em: Short Yardage Power Back. Leroy Hoard or "Bus" mold. "If you need a yard, he'll get you 3. If you need 5 yards, he'll get you 3."

Receiving corp?---------------------------
    Keep 'em: Have ALL our existing receivers compete for jobs & dump those that don't produce. Nothing exceptional in this group. Some potential. Average to Above Average. Boy, I still miss MOSS!

Get 'em: Tall Jump-Type receiver for goal line. Soft hands. Moss-esque.

Rest of the offense?----------------------------
    Fix the "O" line with depth. TE/FB are set.

Defense? --------------------------------------------
    Decent, but aging. Should gel even more this year. Find players to develop or fill needs (LB and maybe CB). Vikes should concentrate 60% of our efforts to create a shut-down, purple people eatin' "D".

Kickers?-------------------------------
    Keep 'em: KLUWE. Best punter we've had since BERGER.

Keep 'em: EDINGER. Had his moments, but always came through when it mattered the most. Best kicker since 1998 (except for that one miss), but could be replaced if doesn't improve or costs us games.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    sweet thread :roll:

:lol:

Let's give him a freebie here, afterall he is a newbie.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

haha your right VKG!

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Welcome Accents,

Keep Coming

One Day At a Time.

It works if ya work it...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

I wish we didn't have Brad Johnson last season, after losing all those games right off the start, i was look to the draft and GREATNESS himself Reggie Bush!!! what we could do with a back like that!!! Anyway, i would keep Koren Robinson and maybe Troy Williamson (he is a rook after all). Maybe Winfield and Sharper as some Experience to the defense!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

LOL Ned! Those words sound hauntingly familiar! My name is BigMo and I'm a Vikeaholic!

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

Accents is offline Training Camp

So I may not be an "expert". But I am really excited about getting a new coach with the opportunity to rebuild the team. I am interested in what other folks think about which players on the team are worth keeping. Thanks to the folks that actually responded.

Quarterbacks-----------
    I like the idea of keeping Johnson and developing a new quarterback. As sleepagent said, Culpepper has had 7 years to develop. What you see in Culpepper is what you get. With Culpepper's bonus due in March, we'll soon see what Culpepper is actually worth.

Running backs---
    I did like Leroy Hoard! I would like to see at least one running back like him. We do need a solid running back of Robert Smith's caliber .

Kickers?-----
    As a couple people pointed out, we could do worse than Edinger.

Defense?-----
    I think I have been so fed up with our defense under Tice, that it is hard for me to accept that we actually did have a couple of good players on defense last season.

I am also wondering if we have any hidden or underdeveloped talent on the team. Tice didn't seem to be the brightest bulb. Are there some rough cut diamonds on the team that just need some decent coaching?

Accents

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"Accents" wrote:
    So I may not be an "expert". But I am really excited about getting a new coach with the opportunity to rebuild the team. I am interested in what other folks think about which players on the team are worth keeping. Thanks to the folks that actually responded.

There is some old salt here and you shouldn't read too much into it.

Don't worry, they aren't attacking you personally. They just feel everyone that comes aboard should know the all rules instantly.

Say what you want, but contribute wise ramblings. You'll have fun and make some new friends.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

lets start with who should stay on offense Culpepper, johnson, williams, the whole recievng core, wiggins, klinesasser ( if there is a position for him to play on the new team sceme)Mckinnie, birk, fowler, and marcus johnson. i would also like it if mewelde still had a job with the vikes next year.

The defense, i believe has more talent than most people believe. I would keep sharper, winfield, and smoot out of the secondary. chavous just didnt make enough plays this year to convince me. Hopefully we can keep brian williams. The linbacking core needs some help, i would keep henderson and cowart and then go find some help through free agency or a trade. i do like our backup players here newman, smith, maybe one of them will be ready to step it up next year. I think that our d line is almost set for next year with the williams brothers and a healthy udeze we shpuld have some veteran leadership on the line. i like what erasumas has shown us so far and could be a great player. The only thing i can think of that this unit needs is a little more depth and maybe a solitified speed edge rusher.

so over all i think our team is pretty close to being ready to compete. Hopefully we aquire some talent this off season (offensive line) to help our team fill in the missing pieces and make us the best we can be. I hope zygi didnt forget his promoise to minnesotans, because i didnt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast