Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Let us address our offeason needs.

"Del" wrote:
    "freaky" wrote:
    you have evidence to substantiate he drops the ball in the nfl, but u overlook the evidence to support he can catch as shown in college on countless occasions. would we draft a guy at number 7 who so blatantly (as you say) cannot catch? or are u suggesting he has had a hand transplant?
    Troy Williamson has always dropped footballs. That was his biggest negative in the draft that he could not catch very well and Mike Tice said the famous "You can teach a guy how to catch, but you cannot teach speed"

This will be his third year I don't know how many years a guy is a rookie in your book of fandom, but apparently if you like the guy he gets at least three years to be called a rookie.

At no point in the season was he called on to carry the load. He wasn't thrown to more then our other WR's he wasn't thrown to more then our RB's. So what he was occassionaly called upon to run a deep route, I have no idea how that translates into carrying the load on offense.

I wouldn't call him a bust. I wouldn't call him an NFL caliber WR either. His chances are running thin, and you can tell that when Childress set him out, kept talking about how they had his eyes checked, and basically kept telling everyone it was Troys mindset....that his days are numbered here if he cannot catch the ball.

If someone says "I think he is a bust" and you do not. It is enough to say "I think he is not a bust." Why make pooh up to try and convince someone you are right? Especially when the pooh you make up is so obviously wrong?
    We need to hire Marques Colston's college position coach...some of those drills that I heard described seemed to be just crazy enough to work!
    They sure worked on Marques!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"baumy300" wrote:
    Pass Rush - Our run defense is more than acceptable, but without a pass rush it doesn't matter how talented our secondary is. I can basically count the number of sacks we had this year on my d*ck and still have one left over! Until we can establish some kind of pass rush (mostly from our ends) we are going to continue letting our secondary take a beating Tina Turner style. Getting a scheme going where our LB's blitz more often would help also. Potential helpers would be Dwight Freeney, who seems to be a long shot or Quentin Moses. Some say Jamaal Anderson, but I say Moses is the best bet. Don't laugh, he's for real.

Receivers - Oh God how bad we need play makers at this position. Troy "I couldn't catch STD's from Anna Nicole" Williamson has proven he has the potentia, but not the consistency leaves us with no other choice but to make him a number 4, possibly number 3 until he proves otherwise. Word is T. Taylor could be on the way out. If so, Drew Bennett could be an alright choice, but preferably Sidney Rice or Harry Douglas should be available in the 2nd round. Both are very good. I would even be pleased if we snag Dwayne Jarrett in the 1st round, and Rice, Meachum, or Douglas in the 2nd. Calvin Johnson would be a great pick up, but probably won't be available for us.

Right side of the line - Possibly Marcus Johnson could come around, but I won't hold my breath. I say a free agent pickup would be best in this situation. Ryan Cook could also fill in and do decent. This is a pretty big concern for us and hopefully the front office plays it smart and finds us a decent FA to fill in one of the spots, because Cook, Hicks, and Johnson are all iffy.

Coaching/Play Calling - Nothing here will happen, but something should. Childress and his one dimensional offense should be switched up. Chester can't carry continue to carry the ball 30+ times a game, and we can't continue going for bombs on 3rd and 1 or 4th and short. Let's hope the Chiller can either wise up or turn over play calling duties to someone better suited. Like Helen Keller!

Ok, enough with the negative. How about the good.

Special teams - Longwell and Kluwe are pretty solid, giving us not much to worry about when it comes to the team legs. Moore and Bethel should continue to be good threats on returns. Moore especially.

Running game - Hopefully Moore will see more carries and our right side of the line will improve to give us the possibility of two thousand yard backs. That obviously being Moore and Taylor. Moore has shown me over and over he's got the skill, just as long as he's healthy. Fason also gets it down when short yardage situations are present. Also, Tony Richardson is still a beast.

Run defense - We will be getting back Chad Greenway who is a tackling monster and we still have two of the best defensive tackles in the game. If Leber and Henderson keep learning, we could be just as dominant, if not more, than last year. Now if only we could somehow pick up Sean Taylor to help out Winfield in secondary tackling...

So what do you guys think?

Missing anything we need to address OTHER THAN the tight end position? The reason I didn't mention it is because I still firmly believe Wiggins is a great receiving TE. Plus, Kleinsasser can take care of the blocking aspect.

So what else should we go after?
    Pass Rush

Tina wasn't beat that bad! Ike was just misunderstood!

I don't assume the return of Erasmus is going to be enough.However Buddy Ryan used to send more than could be blocked at times so we may see a little more agression with our new DC.

Receivers

Fixing the right side of the line could help but the way it stands right now is both tackles get beat too often and Hicks is porous. Makes it tough on the back staying in to block.
    Childress didn't leave a back in to block on passing plays enough last year either.
    I think a few designed roll outs could help a lot.

I don't think we need great receivers if we can run. They just need to get open, catch and BLOCK.

Special Teams

Longwell has liabilities that detract from his assets.
    Sure he's accurate. But he's pretty iffy on long field goals.
    The premise that the dome would help his kicking game seems false to me.
    Out of 62 kickoffs last year he has 3
    touchbacks. A virtual bottom of the league stat of 4.8% touchbacks.This puts a lot of pressure on the special teams coverage as well as the defense. Despite that, his accuracy makes him better than many we have had before.

The special teams coverage and blocking has been horrible! No more needs said.

Running Game

It all starts with stopping the run. I would be willing to give up a little run defense if we could get better on the pass defense.Sometimes that's the way it works.

I don't count on Greenway but it would be huge for the Vikings if he works out.

I don't want to say too much about who I would like to see drafted until after the combine.

“What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

moviking is offline Training Camp

I think we need offensive line and wide receiver help big time!
    Not that this is any kind of earth shattering view, most everyone else is in agreement with me on this one. As far as what I consider WR help, ohhhh anyone on say the Jr College level that can CATCH woudl be an improvement!

As far as the defensive line goes, if Erasmus comes back healthy and is the stud we all hoped he was going to be, I have a good feelign about the D-line with Frazier onboard. If I recall, early in the year we were getting alot of pressure with the blitz. For some reason startign with the New England game, we almost quit blitzing entirely. I think we can get pressure with this bunch, just needs a better pass rush scheme.
    SKOL VIKES!!
    All Hail Bud!!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"moviking" wrote:
    Not that this is any kind of earth shattering view, most everyone else is in agreement with me on this one. As far as what I consider WR help, ohhhh anyone on say the Jr College level that can CATCH woudl be an improvement!

As far as the defensive line goes, if Erasmus comes back healthy and is the stud we all hoped he was going to be, I have a good feelign about the D-line with Frazier onboard. If I recall, early in the year we were getting alot of pressure with the blitz. For some reason startign with the New England game, we almost quit blitzing entirely. I think we can get pressure with this bunch, just needs a better pass rush scheme.
    I think we quit blitzing because NE, and every team that followed, was picking us apart with short to medium timed passes over the middle.
    We had to keep everyone off the line if we had any chance of stopping the passing game.
    Of course, it turns out that we couldn't stop it anyway, so we may as well have blitzed... ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I would start with a new Offensive line coach and a serious evaluation of the right side of the line and a close look at the left tackle. We gave McKinnie a huge contract and he had some major issues against several teams last year. They either need to replace the weak spots or put in a scheme that they can function in.

I see that daunte Stallworth is an unrestricted free agent this year. I am not sure how much money he is going to bring, but if childress likes bringing in Eagles, I would be willing to give this guy a shot after seeing him play last year.

We have had issues with the secondary for years and have tried retooling through the draft and free agency. I think we got a few good draft picks last year and hopefully we can see them develop into a good group.

If we fix the O.L we can get by with the QB's we have. However, if the right one was on the board at number 7 or if we had a chance at someone like Schaub I would give them serious consideration.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "moviking" wrote:

I think we quit blitzing because NE, and every team that followed, was picking us apart with short to medium timed passes over the middle.
    We had to keep everyone off the line if we had any chance of stopping the passing game.
    Of course, it turns out that we couldn't stop it anyway, so we may as well have blitzed... ;D
    From what I udnerstand, the Cover 2 isn't supposed to rely on the blitz in the first place. The D-Line simply was not good enough in the pass rush.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345