Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Leslie Frazier Gaining Respect

Leslie Frazier Gaining Respect - Daily Norseman

Thanks to Frazier, and also to General Manager Rick Spielman, the entire atmosphere around Winter Park has changed. Jim Souhan of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune highlights that trend in his most recent article.
    For decades, when you left the Vikings' Winter Park facility, you needed a long shower. Maybe even a luffa.
    You were constantly confronted with the ugly realities of an ugly business, from ownership and management infighting to angry and sometimes felonious players. Paranoia often ruled, and often for good reason. The Vikings had a lot to hide.
    These days, the franchise that brought you such great hits as Denny Green's Basement Tapes, The Love Boat, the Original Whizzinator and "Straight Cash, Homey,'' has become the kind of place you wouldn't mind bringing your children.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Honestly...what an empty headed article. Talk about zero substance and simply using your media credentials to blow sunshine up the HC's ass.... I hate off-season "journalism"....

Frazier is a middle-of-the-road coach because that's what he is. He wasn't the reason the Vikings went 10-6 last season...Peterson was. It wasn't Leslie's wonderful play calling or offensive scheming...it was the NFL's general inability to stop Adrian Peterson even when you know he's coming. It was the EXACT same thing that "earned" Brad Childress a contract extension.

Has the team improved? I suppose so...but to be honest, it couldn't have gotten much worse. Does Frazier get the lion's share of the credit for that? Nope. Spielman does.

So, what exactly has Frazier done?

Other than ride Peterson? Beats me. But he certainly hasn't suddenly morphed into a great coach.

With the complete lack of substance in that article, I'd suspect Marrdro of writing it....

Caine

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Honestly...what an empty headed article. Talk about zero substance and simply using your media credentials to blow sunshine up the HC's ass.... I hate off-season "journalism"....

Frazier is a middle-of-the-road coach because that's what he is. He wasn't the reason the Vikings went 10-6 last season...Peterson was. It wasn't Leslie's wonderful play calling or offensive scheming...it was the NFL's general inability to stop Adrian Peterson even when you know he's coming. It was the EXACT same thing that "earned" Brad Childress a contract extension.

Has the team improved? I suppose so...but to be honest, it couldn't have gotten much worse. Does Frazier get the lion's share of the credit for that? Nope. Spielman does.

So, what exactly has Frazier done?

Other than ride Peterson? Beats me. But he certainly hasn't suddenly morphed into a great coach.

With the complete lack of substance in that article, I'd suspect Marrdro of writing it....

Caine
    Peterson was the reason without a doubt. But I recall a time last season when someone on the coaching staff finally realized Peterson was the only answer.
    They had to stop letting Ponder throw the ball. That's when they turned the corner.
    I would like to hear, it was Frazier's decision. But even if it was Musgrave's, and I believe it was, it was a good coaching decision, but took awhile.
    It doesn't seem to bode well for this coming season unless Ponder moderately improves.
    The team around Ponder would seem to have a fair amount of potential. Should Ponder step up, Frazier could prove to be good enough.
    This will be a telling year for Frazier. It will make or break his future as a head coach. Should Ponder fail, Leslie and Spielman both should go down the road.
    But I actually expect the Vikings to have a pretty good year despite the coaching. They are amassing some talent.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    The NFL lockout prior to the 2011 season largely robbed him of an opportunity to get his team prepared during mini-camps (including the extra sessions he would have gotten as a new head coach), and he took a very young team to one of the worst records of the NFL at 3-13.
    It gets old really fast when fans/sportswriters blame the shortened offseason for a lot of the Vikings woes. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all 32 teams had the same short off-season we did.

8 teams had new head coaches in 2011, in some of those cases the HC was not promoted from within. Of the 8 teams Frazier finished the worse. 5 of those teams finished .500 or better, while only the Browns (4-12) finished close to the Vikings (3-13). The next worse team had twice as many wins the Vikings.

The shortened offseason certainly didn't appear to hurt the 49ers. Their new head coach took their 2010 6-10 team (same record as ours) to a 13-3 record. One year later he took them to the Super Bowl with a QB they drafted the same year as Ponder (almost a full round later) who threw only 5 passes in game time in 2011.

I'm not buying the "very young team" line at all. In 2011 we had the 10th oldest overall team age. 22 teams were younger than ours. We had the 11 oldest team on offense, the 15th oldest on defense.

2011 NFL team age ranks at 53-man cuts - NFC West Blog - ESPN

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    It gets old really fast when fans/sportswriters blame the shortened offseason for a lot of the Vikings woes. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all 32 teams had the same short off-season we did.

8 teams had new head coaches in 2011, in some of those cases the HC was not promoted from within. Of the 8 teams Frazier finished the worse. 5 of those teams finished .500 or better, while only the Browns (4-12) finished close to the Vikings (3-13). The next worse team had twice as many wins the Vikings.

The shortened offseason certainly didn't appear to hurt the 49ers. Their new head coach took their 2010 6-10 team (same record as ours) to a 13-3 record. One year later he took them to the Super Bowl with a QB they drafted the same year as Ponder (almost a full round later) who threw only 5 passes in game time in 2011.

I'm not buying the "very young team" line at all. In 2011 we had the 10th oldest overall team age. 22 teams were younger than ours. We had the 11 oldest team on offense, the 15th oldest on defense.

2011 NFL team age ranks at 53-man cuts - NFC West Blog - ESPN
    The "very young team" line is trotted out when they have nothing of substance to offer but need to make it seem that the current woes aren't really the fault of the guy whose ass they're blowing into.

And you're right, the shortened offseason ONLY hurt Minnesota......how convenient.

Are we SURE Marrdro didn't write this?

Caine